“Bitterly Dissapointed”

City Sightseeing Warsaw Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #38 of 393 things to do in Warsaw
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National Museum in Warsaw houses a world class collection of art and artifacts stretching from antiquity all the way up to the modern day. Visitors will find ancient relics from the Nubian region, which hold a unique permanent home of display unseen anywhere else in Europe, the most important and groundbreaking works from Polish artists of the 19th Century, and a groundbreaking and historically crucial display of artworks from the 20th and 21st centuries, as well as a comprehensive and beautiful collection of iconic Polish design, from furniture and posters, to fashion and industry. The National Museum in Warsaw is a must-see on any trip to the city.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I visited the museum for the second time after many years. Well, this time I left very dissapointed: the museum is undergoing refurbishment and many of exhibitions are closed. I can understand that of course, but there were no information about it at all! Not on the website, not even at the museum! Shocked a bit, we went to ask lady in the information point, why many doors are closed? Refurbishment untill 2013, MAYBE they will open the exhibitions in May! Lucky enough, I went to the museum on Tuesday, when there are free admissions - otherwise I would say that I have wasted money. You can see only pictures, that's it.

It is still worth visiting, but do it on Tuesdays, for free!

1  Thank Kamphora
"on tuesdays"
"worth a visit"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I wasn't able to find Nubian art section, it only exhibit paintings. I wanted to buy a print to frame but the selection was poor. Most books are in Polish only.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The National Museum of Warsaw has lots of artwork by famous Polish artists like Jan Matejko's BItwa pod Grunwaldom. Matejko is a name that will follow you around Warsaw and Krakow (streets, squares, statues are dedicated to the guy) so it is worth seeing some of his work. It's also a good way to explore the past of the Polish people, a lot of which is represented in the works of art at the Museum.

Most of the pieces of art have a brief description both in Polish and English, but the background information is very little. We had an English-speaking guide, which was a good thing to do, we got a lot of context and gained interesting insights on some of the important episodes from Polish history.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Must see: "Bitwa pod Grunwaldem" by Jan Matejko, plus other important Polish painters (Wyspianski, Chelmonski, ...). English descriptions are scarce, so beware.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The museum/gallery itself is very good, we spent a good couple of hours marvelling at the hundreds of works of fine art that the Muzeum Narodowe houses. In this sense, the museum is more of an art gallery than anything else, yet we feel as though we may have missed out on the more 'museum' aspect (explanation below).

What spoilt our visit a little, though, was poor staff. Firstly, myself and my partner stated that we wanted to buy ONE ticket each (we were trying to obtain the correct change for an upcoming purchase), but we were informed that we couldn't pay separately (umm, why not?!?!), and that one of us (me), had to pay the fee for us both, in one transaction.

So, that left kind of a bad taste in our mouth, but we went on to enjoy the exhibits anyway. Halfway through the Lady Gaga thing (I'm not 100% sure what this actually was, or what it had to do with Gaga herself), we were rudely hustled out of this exhibition, as there was a TV film crew present. So, that part was cut short.

We went on to look at further paintings - which as I said, were really good - and then tried to find the rest of the museum by going back down to the ground floor. We got a little lost, and considering how rude the staff had been to us, decided not to ask for directions, and just left!

A great collection of paintings - and possibly(?) a good museum section (who knows?) - ruined by awful staff.