“OK, but nothing special”
Review of Emma Hostel

and 1 more site!
Emma Hostel
Ranked #180 of 291 Specialty Lodging in Warsaw
Poland
“OK, but nothing special”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'd say it's just an average warsaw hostel - It's ok to stay for a few days, but it's nothing special. Location - fine. Walking distance from the train station, located close to Marszalkowska, one of the main streets of Warsaw. Staff was fine - kind and helpful. It's owned by vegetarians which means no meat inside policy - it is a bit strange for me, but OK. Hostel provides basic but yummy breakfast every morning. Sadly - no social atmosphere at all. Price was fair for what I've got, but as I've said - it's really nothing special at all, just a place to sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DashPL

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at Emma for three nights and enjoyed our stay. A comfortable walk from the central station and old town. a small grocery, pubs, and various restaurants are all close by. The rooms and bath are very clean and Eco-friendly. Would recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WithHusbandInTow
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed here early in summer 2011, around May/June when it had just opened, so all the rooms weren't fully completed.

On our level there was still a lot of construction going on, so I can't really say what it looks like now, but we had a nice bathroom on our level at least :) Because we had a large group we stayed on the top floor, which is somewhat separate to the rest of the hostel - such as where the kitchen area is. It's all located in a tenement building and to get to our floor you came out the hostel door and went up some more flights of stairs then went through another door for our rooms, but you walked past other apartments on the way, a bit strange :D

The kitchen they had was really nice, it was all so friendly and the whole design of the place very happy and fun! The bathrooms, showers etc., were clean and nice to use. I really liked my stay here because it felt very comfortable and like home, even though our level wasn't finished, the main area was really nice. I think it wasn't that busy when we were there, but I don't think there's that much space if the hostel is fully booked for people to come and make food and stuff, or just sit down, it was quite small but had everything you needed.

The staff too I thought were great, they let me leave my laptop with them during the day, as I didn't want to leave it in my room just in case. They also called a taxi for me to go to the airport, which I thought was nice of them :)

The only problem I had with this place was the beds.. Maybe it was just our part, but they were very thin, and you could feel the wooden bed underneath them. Every morning I woke up with a sore back or something, they weren't great!

I'd really like to stay here again if I was in Warsaw another time, it was a really friendly place that was nicely decorated and clean and comfortable, although hopefully the beds are a bit nicer this time!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank OleValmis15
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2012

5 of us stayed over for the Euro 2012 Semi Final and it couldn't have been better. The staff were friendly, accomodating and very helpful. They let us have a late checkout and keep our bags at the Hostel overnight the second night when we didn't have a room booked. The facilities were great, clean rooms and they had plenty of storage space. I definately recommend Emma Hostel, it's centrally located, only a 5-10 minute walk from some great bars and clubs. We will be back!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jamiestewart1581
edinburgh, scotland
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I was excited for this hostel- good ratings, lots of character. My friend and I were in town for an entire week for a conference.
Yet the hostel was overrun by dodgy men. There were a bunch of older, male guests that took over the kitchen much of the time, not doing much besides staring at the few girls that came through. Management was disinterested, avoidant, out of touch. I was in the mixed dorm upstairs, and quickly found myself the only female in a ten-bed dorm, while the mixed downstairs was mostly empty. I felt unsafe, and worse, like I could not approach management, who stayed in their office most the time. I anticipated an argument over, 'where shall we find more females'? etc- look, I am mature, quite reserved, and well-travelled. I DO feel it is the hostel's responsibility to keep an eye on the atmosphere and guests, and to take action if necessary. On the last day, even more older, 'starey' men moved into my room. 'Where are you from? Are you alone?' Never been more creeped out, or insulted at the running of a place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank m0le17

Travelers are raving about these Warsaw hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I was really excited for this hostel, but it was slightly disappointing. The atmosphere was pretty dull, none of the guests seemed interested in any social interaction and the staff didn't seem to be encouraging it. The vegetarian breakfast was very weak. The bathrooms and rooms were very clean and spacious. The mattresses on the bed were not mattresses at all, unfortunately it felt like sleeping on a table for 3 nights.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelingtark
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The place is nice, fairly priced, and enviornmentally friendly. The staff are amazing. I left an identification card, and they returned it to me through the mail. I will always come back to Emma Hostel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business