Chmielna Guest House
  • Bar/Lounge
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewscommon kitchennowy swiatchmielna streetgreat locationcentral locationold townliving roomwould stay here againkeyhostelreceptionapartmentnoisemidnightwarszawa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I stayed here with friends in the summer of 2010. The bedroom, shared space, and bathrooms were clean, comfortable, and attractive. After a day of sight seeing, it felt like you were coming home! The staff was very accommodating, we asked for the breakfast package one morning, and had a beautiful breakfast prepared for us. Now I admit it is strange for a "B&B" not to have breakfast included - this goes against the basic premise of B&B (Bed and Breakfast) establishments, so the name of this place is deceiving. Did the owners not understand the connotation and denotation of the term when they named the place? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_and_breakfast

It was a perfect home base for sight seeing... we walked everywhere without any problems. Staff gave maps, directions, and suggestions.

Downside? 1) Having to get the key from the hostel. I don't know what I do if I were travelling alone as I would not want to leave heavy bags unattended! And 2) It was not convienient for taxi pick up/drop off on certain days of the week. When leaving the B&B we had to drag all of our heavy luggage down the street and hope we could flag down a taxi which was rather uncomfortable and inconvient. 3) Street noise was an issue - on a hot night when the window had to be opened, I wouldn't have slept a week if not for ear plugs!

If I knew heavy luggage would not be an issue, if I had earplugs, and if I was okay with the idea that a B&B did not include breakast unless I requested and paid extra, I would stay here again as the accommodation and staff were lovely.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2011

The B&B is really nice and very well situated. I also liked the common kitchen, although I didn't really appreciate when my sandwich was stolen... My complaints have to do with getting the key from the Hostel nearby. I really didn't like having to leave my bag at the bottom of the stairs (I couldn't figure out how to lock it so I left it behind a door) and the stairwell smelled horrible! Had to deal with the twice, on coming and going as there is a key deposit. Also, my room in the B&B was the Cannes room. Very cute but it also smelled a bit, from what I don't know and it was very noisy at night because of the pedestrian mall below. Would I stay there again, probably not. I'd check out some other place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Chmielna St B&B is in a great location, just off the very stylish Nowy Swiat, and perfect for the traveller who likes the privacy of their own room, yet also enjoys the company of other travellers occasionally. These guest rooms provide just that... the bedrooms, though not large, are clean and comfortable and the two bathrooms meant that there was always one available to use. The style is quirky in that each room has its own theme, named after a city. The shared lounge area and kitchen provide all the amenities - huge plasma screen TV for those so inclined, dining table, Polish travel books, WiFi (strong reliable connection) and even a laptop for those who didn't bring their own and want to use the free internet...
The only downside is having to check in around the corner at New World St Hostel (27 Nowy Swiat), where you must walk up three flights of stairs (definitely leave heavy luggage at the bottom!). Then there are two flights at Chmielna St (no lift), so tricky if you're lugging heavy bags on your own. But the staff at New World St Hostel are very friendly and helpful and brought my heavy case up the 3 flights to leave it in the storeroom while I visited Cracow. They're also a wealth of local information and happy to give travel tips, whatever your interest...
One other thing to note would be the noise from the street - I like to sleep with the window open and am not bothered by street noise outside, but light sleepers may find it not so peaceful as there are cafes and bars nearby and the rubbish trucks come by early in the morning!
I stayed five nights and I'd definitely return to Chmielna St B&B. I'd also recommend it as a great cosy base from which to explore Warsaw, close to the Old Town, plenty of public transport, and numerous cafes, restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed 4 nights and felt very much at home. The kitchen and lounge are great and the staff were very helpful. The location is especially good as its off Nowy Swiat, which is a pedestrian mall on Sundays. There is a lof of life in the street and downstairs is a bakery which makes the famous polish donut called paczek.....or more than one...paczki. They are delicious and are made fresh. The smell from the bakery fills the stair well...which is kind of nice.

There is free wireless as well as a laptop in the lounge that is available. Good price, clean place would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Basic, but very atmospheric rooms, impeccable cleanliness and reasonable prices (not exactly cheap but doubles don't get any cheaper in central Warsaw). Very central location, convenient for sightseeing but not bad also for transport (train station and bus to the airport). To be recommended!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business