“Polish McDonald”

Zapiecek
Ranked #43 of 2,494 Restaurants in Warsaw
Cuisines: Polish, European, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Stare Miasto
New York City
“Polish McDonald”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a chain of the restaurants that occupies the entire Old Town. The food and drinks are of bad quality. People who have never tried home made vareniki and pierogi should not judge how they taste by eating at this restaurant. The meat inside the vareniki is awful. The tables were sticky and shaking. I found hair in the soup. People are allowed to smoke inside. Just terrible. Better to eat a sandwitch at a small cafe around a corner.

• Visited August 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Palermo, Italy
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Don't be put off by thinking that it is a tourist trap, this restaurant is fabulous. My friends and I enjoyed a traditional polish meal, their pierogi was wonderful and such a wide choice as well. The whole meal plus drinks was a very reasonable price! We visited the branch lowest to the old town square, a small place with lots of atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013
Malmö, Skåne Län, Sweden
“There are 2 Zapiecek and one is NOT good”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I think there is some confusion as to this restaurant. There is one Zapiecek on Swietojanska which serves pierogi etc. However the photo with the dark chairs and probably most negative reviews is the OTHER Zapiecek just a block away on Piwna/Zapiecek. They profile themselves as a traditional polish cuisine, around since 1960. White tablecloths and antique-ish interior. Be aware of this place!!!! The food is ok, certainly not worth the money, but that is often the case in the Old Town, you'll end up paying for the location.
I went there in the spring with my mom and daughter. The service was pleasant but when it was time to pay I was paying by card. They drew one card but apparently "The payment station was not charged". I was ask to go with the staff and try paying while it was charging. Turned out to be impossible to use the chip while the station was charging, and impossible to slide the card. I was then asked if I had another card that did not have a chip. Naively I produced my AmEx and payed. Imagine my surprise at the end of the month when both cards were charged... I called the restaurant and they were understanding but stalling and I ended up calling 4 times. And wrote four emails. I got one response assuring me that the problem will be solved. Then nothing. It ended up with me posting documents and threatening to go to the authorities if I did not get the money back. Finally after 3 MONTHS i got the refund. Sooooo not worth my time and I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited March 2013
Scotland
“Quantity not quality.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by our hotel. It is in the old town and has a touristy feel to it. As I had Polish parents I know Polish cooking well . The pierogi we had as a starter were mediocre. Then my daughter had bigos which was not very tasty and I had the Hungarian goulash with a pancake. The plate was overflowing with sauce and pieces of meat floating in it and the pancake was so thick I could have washed the floor with it. Judging by past reviews people are impressed by the cooking and the sizes but I would not rate this as a true Polish culinary experience.

• Visited July 2013
cherry hill,nj
“Good food.....tourist trap”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Food was very good. Service was slow. When our bill came we were shocked at the total. It did not match the prices on the menu that we had read. Instead they had added a lot of extra charges. Since it was our first meal in Warsaw, we paid. We thought that it was the way things were done. Later we found out that we had been taken. Stay away or snap a photo of the menu. Beware of tourist traps.

• Visited July 2013