“Charming hotel in the heart of Torun... and with a tremendous restaurant”
Review of 1231 Hotel

1231 Hotel
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Torun
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is surely the best place to stay in Torun - you could not be more conveniently-located than in this pretty, ancient watermill conversion, situated within the walls of the old town. Parking is available for a small charge and proved no problem as we reserved a space in advance. The hotel car park has a door that leads without steps to the reception - all very convenient when bringing in suitcases. The welcome at reception was warm, and this was the case throughout the hotel - a very friendly and obliging set of hosts. The hotel inside is modern in design, but tastefully decorated to incorporate original features of the building. Our roomy bedroom was good, with a comfortable king-size bed, air-conditioning (not used as it was not warm enough), a small table with two chairs, the all-important tea and coffee-making facilities, and complimentary bottles of mineral water. The bathroom was a decent size too, containing a shower cubicle (no bath), toilet and basin. The shampoo, shower gel and soap provided were also fine. Food at the restaurant of the hotel is to be highly recommended. We had a fantastic dinner, which was extremely good value bearing in mind the high quality of everything we ordered. There is also a decent wine list, also priced very reasonably. Breakfast was also pleasant - fairly typical buffet fayre, but good quality products, well-executed and sufficiently-varied. A few areas where improvement could be made though - TV channels were numerous, but none was in English (or anything other than Polish, I think); the wifi (included in the room cost) signal was weak so devices could not be used when sitting outside the bar, moreover the signal was not strong enough in the bedroom for anything other than email download; our table for dinner (reserved more than a month before our visit) turned out to be round a corner of the lovely restaurant - in full view of the swinging doors to the kitchen, the empty buffet table for the following day's breakfast, and a pile of stacked up 'spare chairs'. (This was not the restaurant experience I had been seeking!...) It seems almost churlish to mention these points as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel 1231, but hope the management might take them in the spirit with which they are intended - to further improve their already strong customer offer. I would stay here again without hesitation and would recommend any visitor to wonderful Torun does the same.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mateusz1231, General Manager at 1231 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Guests,
I appreciate an honest, comprehensive, and accurate reviews written on tripadvisor.com. Very important for me is to be able to look at the Hotel 1231 your eyes. Especially thank You for drawing attention to the small things we can still improve, and let me tell you we are already talking about how we can improve some elements. Thank You for your trust and I'm very pleased that you recommend us to other guests. I hope that we will still have the pleasure of welcoming you in the near future.

Greetings from Toruń, and I wish You a pleasant further journey

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Excellent hotel with helpful and friendly staff, clean and very nice rooms, excellent breakfast with good selection. Location is next to the castle in a old restored watermill. Visit the near waterfront and drink a vodka on one of the riverboats.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mateusz1231, General Manager at 1231 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Hello Sir,
thank You that you found the time to write a comment about your stay at our hotel. I'm glad that our staff was helpful and friendly. At the next visit to our city, we invite you to visit us again.

Best regard from Toruń

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Deserves its top rating for Torun, and for me, would gain similar plaudits in any major European city. Perfect location; almost on the river, alongside the ruined city walls, but only moments to the heart of the delightful old town.
Excellent quality refurb of one of the medieval granaries which are a feature of Northern Poland, in the public rooms, the bedrooms and even on the staircases and hallways, where the automated lighting system prevented that so-annoying 'night light' sensation.
Lovely breakfast and evening meal, in terms of options and quality.
Impressively also, management had noted recent TA comments re the absence of tea/coffee-making facilities in the bedrooms, and installed them.
Just a couple of elements make me demur from a perfect ten though.
I realise that the owners/management know their local market, but even so, I found the Med-dominated menu incongruous in the middle of Poland, especially the advertised 'Atlantic Sea Bass' when we were barely an hour from the Baltic. In the city of gingerbread, I would also expect the chef to use that scrumptious and spicy cake, as the focal point of at least a couple of desserts.
And as for the pianist ...
I dreamed of a soothing backdrop of Chopin and mazurkas as I refuelled after a day's sight-seeing, not rehashed Transatlantic tunes from the 80s, especially ones embellished with 'twiddles' and 'tweaks' aplenty.
Tiny points though, and this hotel was still the best I stayed in during a tour from Warsaw through Torun to Gdanask, and across the lake district to Bialystock.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the rear, as the view is of a football pitch. A jolly nice pitch, and in a historic...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Mateusz1231, General Manager at 1231 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Sir,
I am very impressed with your comment. Thank You for such a comprehensive description of your stay in 1231 Hotel. I'm glad that you regard our hotel to be the best in what you had the opportunity to live in during their stay in Poland. Your comments on the menu card expansion and repertoire played by the pianist we will take consider, of course. However, I am certain that Mr. Marek our pianist, if only he will be asked, he will play for our guests every kind of preferred music :)

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Absolutely first class hotel and great value for money.

Food excellent, as good as anywhere I have eaten in Europe.

The staff excellent and attentive, smiliing and willing to help out whenever possible.

Patrick & Macin in the bar and Emilia on reception - who was especially effective in helping us to get tickets home early deserve special mention.

I will be back to Torun next month and would not consider staying anywhere else.

Rooms and levels of cleanliness a credit to the staff.

In a word this hotel was faultless.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Mateusz1231, General Manager at 1231 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Hello,
thank you very much for writing the opinion.
I am very glad that you taste our cuisine. I also acknowledge that one of our greatest strengths is our staff and, therefore, the more I'm happy being able to read that Patrick, Martin and Emilia have been remembered as a smiling and helpful staff. We will be pleased to to see you back in our hotel next month.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I liked the excellent location of this hotel - walking distance to all the old city Toruń attractions and nightlife.
Rooms although quite small, are very clean and provide all the amenities you would need. If you need anything, there is very courteous and smiling staff ready to help.
I liked the morning breakfast a lot - wonderful choice of food, perfect way to start your day full of sightseeing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mateusz1231, General Manager at 1231 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Hello,
I would like to thank You for finding the time and write a comment. I am glad that the stay in our hotel You consider as enjoyable :).
Such opinions give us positive energy and drive us to work even better for everyday.

Best greetings from gingerbread city - Toruń

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent location within Old Town area, great view on the ancient part of the city. The hotel is in a very old building but the interior is pretty modern. The staff is nice and helpful. Breakfast is tasty and has a wide selection of food. I honestly recommend the stay there. I also recommend Torun in general - beautiful city!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mateusz1231, General Manager at 1231 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Hello Madam,
Thank you kindly for given the effort put in writing a review of our hotel. Opinions of our guests are our most important guidepost illustrating if we are going right way. I would be glad, if You will visiting in the future Toruń, once again You will choose our hotel.

Best Regards
Director of Hotel 1231

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We were staying in Poznan for 3 nights and had been advised by a local that if we could visit Torun, we should. We felt it was too far (250km each way) for a day trip, so we decided to stay overnight. So glad we did. We booked and arrived the same day using my smartphone and booking.com - 'aint modern technology just wonderful. We also checked the Trip Advisor reviews (of course) and 1231 was top - so we thought, that'll do for us. We paid 360zl (£76) for B&B for 2 persons.

Arrival 4/5 - Torun station is on the far side of the Vistula to the Old Town (2km) - too far to walk on a cold day with luggage, so we took a cab to the hotel. I think it was 12zl (£2.50). Initial impression of the hotel was fab. It is right next to the Teutonic Knights castle and the city walls. You have to walk over a small river with waterfall, that is part of the hotel entrance, to get to reception. The hotel was a water mill for centuries and was was converted into a hotel 5 years ago.

Check in - the reception is modern, but in an obviously old building. Fast and efficient check in. Friendly staff who all spoke very good english.

Room 3/5 - quite a small room. The ceiling sloped with the roof, wich made the room feel small. The bed was aginst the wall and the sloping roof, which meant one of you had to take care getting in and out of bed. Quirky, but restricting. I was always concerned about bumping my head if I got up to the loo in the night. Not hard to guess who got the good side of the bed!! The double bed was comfy, with good quality sheets and pillows. We slept very well, despite my ceiling concerns. As the bed was against a wall, we only had 1 bedside cabinet. Good size flat TV and a small fridge/minibar. Sufficient storage for one night, but we might have struggled if we'd stayed longer. 2 robes and slippers.

Bathroom - smallish, but very well designed and beautifully finished off. Lovely tiles, nice towels and toiletries and a superb large walk in shower. Everything looked very new. Both the room and bathroom were very clean and tidy.

Location 5/5 - set by the city walls and next to the ruined crusader castle. 2 min walk to the town square. The Old town is compact and you can walk around the old city in a short time. Plenty of bars restaurants nearby.

Restaurant 5/5 - a very modern restaurant in the cellar of the hotel. Again very modern, but in an old building. A pianist was playing, which gave the room a nice atmosphere. I had cappacio of beef, then goose breast, Barb had a sorbet, then duck breast. All good, but the goose was the star. With a bottle of Australian Shiraz and coffee, it was 252zl (£53). More than you'd normally pay in Poland, but still great value and fine quality. First class service in a nice environment.

Overall 4/5 - we loved Torun - if only all cities were as pretty and compact as this. A lovely small city, packed with history and in good condition, as it managed to avoid the ravages of WW2. It was the birthplace of Copernicus, who is everywhere in the city. We visited the planetaruim and saw the show in Polish.

We liked this hotel a lot. The location is full of character, just the room put us off a little. It did not spoil our trip though - highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mateusz1231, General Manager at 1231 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Sir,
your professional comments made ​​big impression on me. Thank You for the effort put in his writing. I'm glad that You visited Torun, city smelling of gingerbread and beautiful medieval monuments. If You will visit in the future Torun again, we will be honored to be your host for the second time.
PS. I'm glad that the sloping roof in the room to not spoil Your trip :-)

mazur@hotel1231.pl

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torun
Copernicus Torun Hotel
Kopernik Hotel
Kopernik Hotel
#10 of 24 in Torun
Hotel Palac Romantyczny

Been to 1231 Hotel? Share your experiences!