“friendly staff, but ...”
Review of Blow Up Hall 5050

Blow Up Hall 5050
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Poznan
“friendly staff, but ...”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I arrived just before midnight. There is no obvious reception, so I walked to the back, up the stairs to the bar. There was one guest in the bar and quite bit of music. The guy of the reception was upstairs as well and helped me to sign in. You receive an iphone with an app "find my room" and "open my door", but fortunately you get a normal key as well. Despite the virtually empty bar, the music was played very loud for quite some time and was very easy to listen to from my bed... The room is very "modern" with a nice B&O television etc, but also square toilets and square toilet seats. It might look nice, but ergonomically not perfect.
Breakfast is ok, but it took more than 20 minutes to get a taxi at 7.30 in the morning... When i checked my credit card statement last week, I noticed that they had charged me both at check in and check out, which is the first time ever. They were very quick in resolving this issue and will reimburse me shortly. Overall a stay with mixed feelings.

Room Tip: away from the music
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Philip D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for two nights in October to spend a few days in Poznan. When choosing the hotel, we thought we would treat ourselves by spending a bit more and booking at the '5 star' 5050 Blow Up Hall. Never again.

Positives
- Great location. It's right in the centre of Poznan (part of the Stary Browar shopping centre).
- The hotel has a very interesting / modern look to it.
- Free WiFi throughout the hotel.

Negatives
- When trying to find out information about the hotel, their website uses Adobe Flash, which is useless on a iPhone or iPad.

- We contacted the hotel a few days before our arrival to arrange a taxi shuttle from the airport. Upon arriving at the hotel, there was a lot of confusion between the taxi driver and the concierge about when to pay which went on for a good 15 minutes, which is the last thing you need at 1am in the morning.

- From reading the review on 5050 here on TripAdvisor, we were expecting some complimentary champagne on arrival. As we arrived late in the night, we were told the bar was closed so we couldn't have the complimentary drinks. There was no attempt to provide these later in our stay.

- As a bit of a sucker for anything techie, the appeal of using a iPhone as a door key to the room was very influential in my choosing 5050. To find out that most of the iPhone's they had were out of order and to be given a normal key was very disappointing.

- Once we got into the room, there was no complimentary still water (only sparkling). A small thing but something you would expect of a 5* hotel. On a similar note, only 1 toothbrush provided for a double room with two people staying. Again, little things but makes a difference.

- On the first night of our stay, there was no hot water in the shower.

- We were awoken on both mornings of our stay by what sounded like maintenance/construction work going on insider/nearby the hotel.

- Throughout the hotel, there was the sense that all the effort had been put into the design of the rooms rather than it's function. For example, the toilet seat in the room was square. Looks nice but incredibly uncomfortable to use. Also, the plugs next to the beds are fitted so close to the floor that you can't keep your phone charged on the bedside table, I had to keep mine on the floor.

- I would rate the service level of the staff to be quite poor. It felt as if all the staff were trainees as none of them had a clue what was going on right from checking in, ordering room service and in the restaurant.

Overall, I was very disappointed with my stay at Blow Up Hall 5050. When paying the bit extra for a premium hotel, you expect a premium experience, which is certainly not what I got from this hotel. If you are looking at staying in Poznan at a hotel of a similar standard, check out the IBB Andersia (which is just over the road from Blow Up Hall 5050. That's where i'll be trying next as there is no way i'd stay at Blow Up Hall again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nathanjmassey
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed for one night in August on a short trip from Berlin arriving with my boyfriend, leaving with him as my fiance :)
We were greeted with a complimentary drink of our choosing on arrival in the 'reception' (no generic reception in the hotel but an area of seating with a member of staff with a laptop) then shown to our room. The layout, design and art of the hotel is amazing and this is present in all aspects including the room. The bed was extremely comfortable, the tv and sound system first class and shower etc was great. An iphone for room key worked very well and doubled as internet access. Nice touches were chocolates, city guide and map and hi tech lighting and temperature control. The design of the room was very modern and although the hotel itself is quite small the amount of art and sculpture present is immense.
Cannot fault the staff we were recommended restaurants, ordered our taxi, provided an umbrella etc. Ideal location as connected to shopping and dining in the rest of the old brewery.
Will dine there next time as will be returning! Very highly recommended especially if you are insterested in art & design.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank clare j
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 16, 2012

All the positive reviews I had read before we went to this hotel were right. This is a truly amazing hotel. In particular, the staff were amazing. Nothing was too much trouble. My husband and I had one room, my sons(age 15 and 18) another and my daughter and her boyfriend (age 21 and 23) a third room. They were all fabulous rooms, but room 402 was particularly amazing, both for space and decor. My daughter is a smoker, so found room 106 great because even though she was on the first floor, there were two huge windows that allowed her to walk out onto a beautiful outdoor area. It also had an amazing shower that was very powerful and relaxing. The three ipads were perfect to amuse the three lads and the staff oblidged us by charging them every day. We had three nights there and it was perfect. Any less and you wouldn't have enough time to experience it fully. Make sure to try out the cocktails in the bar. They are some of the best I've ever tasted and are priced so cheaply ( between €4-€8). Also I am always conscious of the kids behaving themselves and not being too loud. Here we felt so relaxed and you could wear casual clothes and be right at home, even in the very grand surroundings. The fact that Ryanair fly right into Poznan and its only a two hour flight and a fifteen minute taxi ride (approx €15) to the hotel, make it even more perfect for a city break. Definately one to return to!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Ann M
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The Blow up Hall 5050 grasped my attention when I had to decide on which hotel I wanted to base my final front office presentation at my university where I study Hospitality Management. I fell in love with the website, the interior design and the idea of an iPhone check-in. I was however, a bit worried wether I could get sufficient information for my presentation so I decided to contact the Blow Up Hall with some questions. One day later I received a thorough, very polite and extremely helpful email with all of my questions answered and more! I was very pleased with Mr. Jakub Krzewina's answer and I am very thankful for all his efforts! I have another presentation to be completed on another hotel, and I have not received any help what so ever. So the Blow Up Hall really proved me that they have an excellent service and I will definitely go and visit the hotel in the future!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank nasacca
Goettingen, Germany
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. We used a discount deal bought on the web and had no problems. The staff were super friendly and willing to do practically anything for you. The food was good too. The bed was comfy. A welcome drink was also nice. I liked the modern, dark feel of the hotel, but I do agree with a previous reviewer about the slight feeling of style over functionality. Every time we took a shower, the bathroom floor pretty much got flooded.

I'm not sure about the iPhone key system. It seems almost a waste, but that is minor. It will either be loved or hated by most people. I was indifferent.

Two duvets instead of one would be better. We didn't have a second in the wardrobe, but after asking for one, we got another one quickly.

Sadly the steam room was broken, so we were unable to use that. Things like that happen, but that was part of the reason for going to this hotel, so we were sad to not be able to use that during our stay.

The free wifi worked great in the lobby but not so well in our first floor room. That made for the TV taking a long time to turn on, as that is connected to the wifi, as far as I understand.

In summary:
Positives: staff, location, aesthetics, food, bed
Negatives: bathroom flooded, one duvet, slow wifi in room, steam room broken

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Katja W
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We bought the stay with a promotion coupon. So maybe the room we got was the worst in the hotel. It was small, uncomfortable, very poorly designed. The idea of opening the room with an IPhone is now out of date. Because of the problems with baterries you get a normal Yale key just in case. The whole image of modernity is ruined. Despite the fact that the hotel is relatively new, time running is seen at the rooms.
The only 5 stars signs are Concierge Lady and meals served. The rest is close to 3 stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple