“Strange dishes”

Mandragora Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 232 Restaurants in Lublin
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mandragora is a restaurant located in Lublin Old Town that serves Jewish cuisine. All dishes in our menu are cautiously selected so that, to the extent possible, they reflect the nature of traditional Jewish cuisine. We prepare them exclusively from the best quality ingredients and based on old, pre-war recipes. At the same time we care of the visit in Mandragora so that it is not only a culinary experience but also a cultural one, that is why we obey Jewish customs concerning the preparation of dishes, and the interior in our restaurant was inspired by the rich cultural tradition of the pre-war Jewish Lublin. You are welcome!
Reviewed November 21, 2013

The place looks fantastic and the great referral to the Jewish past in Lublin before the war. But the food was a disappointment although I admit that I have no knowledge of Jewish food traditions but the place is referring the menu to this tradition. The food did not taste of any spices and the portions of some off the dishes were ridiculous. I was very disappointed with the menu and I do not want to try this kind of food again.

1  Thank Innlendur

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stopped by for dinner and at first were wary as the English menu sounded a bit dull. We learned that the menu descriptions just don't do the food justice! My husband and I shared an appetizer of the goose pipkes (stuffed goose neck) which were very tasty. They were out of potatoes for latkes, so my husband ordered the " piece of meat" instead and I ordered the dumplings. His steak was a quality piece of meat perfectly cooked (I was able to cut it with my butter knife) and well seasoned. Both my husband and I loved my dumplings. I was expecting heavy, greasy cheese filled dumplings, but while they were filled with cheese, they were as light and fluffy as a cloud! They were also seasoned perfectly with herbs, just enough to add an interesting flavor, but not enough to overwhelm the delicate flavor of the cheese. If I were staying longer in Lublin, I would definitely come back to try more dishes! What we also appreciated was that all the side dishes, the potatoes and salads with the steak and the bread and cucumbers with the goose appetizer, were noticeably excellent.

Coming from America, the prices were a steal (under 100zl for dinner with 2 beers, an appetizer and tip!!) and service was excellent. We've been traveling for a week through 4 different countries and this is the first restaurant that has inspired a review. Definitely worth your time and money!!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This restaurant, located in the Lublin's Old Town, is tastefully decorated and the staff helpful.We sat outside as the temperature was unusually high for August.The service was very good as was the Jewish cuisine.A little pricey compared to other restaurants in Lublin but good.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The food overall was quite good but definitely priced too high for what we got (falafel, chicken liver-hardly top end) -the starters were the best part though. Great bread, hummus etc. The only bad taste in my mouth was returning for breakfast the next morning. We ordered some black coffees and one person wanted milk. The brought us the milk and charged us 3zl for it! The coffee was already exorbitantly priced. Now I'm sorry but when you've spent several hundred zl in a restaurant and then they charge you for a small drop of milk it's a real shame. That's the only thing I will remember about our experience here. Are they really that short of money that they need to do this to customers?

Reviewed August 4, 2013

a bit expensive but very good food. very good and quick service.
it is located very well on the Main Square in Lublin.