“Good public areas, otherwise disappointing”

Mercure Wroclaw Centrum
Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Wroclaw
London
“Good public areas, otherwise disappointing”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here for five nights during a very hot spell towards the end of August 2012. We chose this hotel owing to its location (we stayed at the other end of the Old Town last year) as it was handy not only for shops but many tourist attractions and the Rynek (old market square) was only a short walk along quiet streets.
The welcome at reception was warm, friendly and efficient; but no assistance was offered in helping us carry our bags to the rooms.
Now, whilst the reception, lobby, bar area and restaurant - and to a lesser extent the corridors on each floor - were well-presented and fresh, the bedrooms were not.
Furnishings looked rather jaded, and there was plenty of dust to be found in corners etc., so the standard and quality of the decor was rather disappointing.
The rooms are fairly spacious, though, and there's plenty of room to relax - there's even a sofa on which to sit and unwind. In general the hotel is quite quiet, so pretty good for a relaxing stay.
The air con, whilst not excessively noisy, wasn't particularly quiet either and never managed to cool the room to anything lower than 23C - this not being helped by it being turned off each time you leave the room and take your key card with you! Even so, when the air con was running for hours on end it still made little difference to the temperature, and accordingly I did not sleep as well as I would have liked.
Cleaners seemed to do a bare minimum - not even providing clean cups/mugs for coffee - and they even left cleaning materials / chemicals behind in the room and en-suite, and provided no additional clean towels on the last day (we had to make do with those we hadn’t used that morning). On the subject of the hospitality tray, only one sachet of instant coffee was provided each day (and sometimes not replenished – along with the mini bar, which also wasn’t re-stocked), showing poor attention to detail. The cleaner even had the cheek to leave a note the day before we checked out in order to introduce herself and to let her know if there was anything we wanted - rather too late in my opinion!
When it came to the final evening of the stay, I asked at reception whether it would be possible to request a late check-out given our flight was after 10pm. At first I was told that it's only possible to make such an arrangement on the morning of departure and not beforehand, but the receptionist added that owing to full occupancy it wouldn't be possible anyway. Oddly, though, when we returned to the hotel for a coffee around 4 o'clock that afternoon, there were a few people checking out at various intervals, so I was at a loss as to why they could make such an arrangement whereas we could not (especially as I hold a platinum loyalty card for Accor Hotels).
Anyway, to put the icing on the cake, I was leaving my room in order to check out at 12:00 on the day of departure, when the place was plunged into darkness.
The corridor (third floor) had some emergency lighting by which to see, and some cleaners had a bedroom door propped open to gain additional light. I made my way along the corridor towards the emergency stairs adjacent to the lifts, but was unable to locate the doorway to the stairs as it was in total darkness. It was only by feeling around that eventually I found the stairs (which were well lit) and then struggled to carry my luggage down to the ground floor.
When I reached reception, I enquired about the power outage and was told it was planned maintenance. I then raised my concerns over the timing of the planned outage (people wanting to use lifts at the published check-out time etc.), the fact that I had had to carry my heavy luggage down six or seven flights of stairs, and the fact that the third floor lift/stair lobby was in complete darkness (which I regard to be a serious safety issue as, in the event of a fire, safe evacuation may not be possible if the emergency lighting is defective).
The receptionist then had the effrontery to try to start an argument with me as to whether the lighting was in fact defective - she was most insistent that there was no problem, when clearly there was.
So, given my experience, it is unlikely that I'll stay at the Mercure Panorama when I'm next in Wroclaw.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ctr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Langesund, Norway
Reviewed August 30, 2012

very nice hotel, nice big rooms with minibars. very central and great breakfast, really just lose some points for style shower and small restuarant bar. very close to the mall and other shopping markets. 80 Zlota for the taxi from the airport at night, 50 by taxi bus back in the day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Greece
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Mercure is a safe choice for doing business in Wroclaw. It is clean, spacey, decent and placed strategically in the center of the city, close to transportation hubs and the vivid city center.
Do not expect luxury and complication, this is a straight, Mercure Hotel, a bit worn out but doing its job.
Overall a positive experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
B-B
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Unfortunately, despite the fact that the stay in the hotel was not that bad, the whole impression was spoilt by the fact that hotel charged me twice for the stay (2 nights). My bank told me that this is a practice of some hotels - don't know why they do it, but I find it completely reprehensible. I'm still waiting for this money to return to my account.
Additionally, I told the hotel reception desk assistant that our AC wasn't working - to no avail. For the whole stay the temperature in the room was 27 C.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nathan_Poland
Reading
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I've stayed in the Mercure Panorama a few times now, most recently at the end of June 2012.

The hotel is clean and excellently located however I can't find myself getting excited about it based upon the price that is charged. Wroclaw is not an expensive city but I have always found this hotel brackets itself above what it actually delivers. You will generally find a much nicer hotel for the same money.

It's hard to find fault in what the hotel actually gives you (beyond paying double what you should for a locally brewed beer - not exclusive to this hotel). I just think the hotel thinks it gives you more than it actually does.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RicoPOT
Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in early June 2012 during the Euro2012 championships.

The hotel is modern style and attached to a large shopping centre. The location is good with only a short walk (5 mins) to the main square in Wroclaw which is very handy.

The restaurant seemed ok although we only had breakfast there but cheaper eats could be found in the main part of the old city or indeed in the shopping centre if fast food is your thing.

The staff at the hotel were very helpful and courteous at all times and helped us find places and order taxis as we needed. There are tram stops right outside the hotel that will get you most places you want to go.

The room was very comfortable and we had a view out the front of the hotel - not a great view but not bad either....!

I would definitely consider this hotel again if visiting Wroclaw - which, by the way is a really beautiful city....!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family