“rooms with a spice :)”

Ranked #4 of 135 Specialty Lodging in Wroclaw
Leipzig, Germany
“rooms with a spice :)”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

during my visits in wroclaw i always stay in cinnamon hostel. its in a quite location, but close to the center and the staff is very helpful. the rooms a well designed and they are not crowding people together like in many ordinary only-money-making-hostels. what else can i say? :)

Room Tip: i tried basil and lavender till now and they are both facing south and they are relatively - but not...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank PYHostel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hostel was so warm and nice to stay in. It smells of cinnamon, so nice. We returned after being out in the snow all day to a warm, friendly cinnamon smelling haven. Would def stay again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fiona F
Cracow, Malopolskie, Poland
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I've spent over 3 weeks over the last 2 years in ye ole Sin-a-mon and I really have nothing but praise to shower on these lovely people. I have formed great friendships and they've always taken care of all my needs and even maken sure my drunken corpse ended up in the right bunk at night (thanks Kuba!). I highly recommend checking in if you're passing through the WrocLOVE. Thanks for the Spy Maps too!!!! Sweetness

Room Tip: Lavender for the Poor, Curry for the meek and Safron for the rich!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Thymn C
Łódź
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I have mixed filings about Cinnamon. On one hand location is great, parking place is available and photos are superb. Plus the breakfast is available.

On the other hand rooms do not look as good in reality as in pictures. There are only two male toilets (not a clean ones) and a single shower. In women bathroom there is only a part separation of the toilet and the shower. During our stay there were plenty of programmers there and the que to the male shower was way too long. Plus once you got there it smelled :(

Room Tip: Larger ones looked more pleasant then the small (i.e. go for dormitory rather then double)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BragiRagnarson
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed at the Cinnamon for a month while doing a course in Wroclaw! It was awesome! Clean! Friendly! Safe! I really can't say enough good things about this hostel. Might be the best that I have ever stayed in. Kuba and the rest of the Cinnamon gang were always pleasant and cheerful! It really is a great place to stay!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Diane J
dumbarton, scotland
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Excellent central location between the train station and Old Town. On a main road with tram lines but insulated from street hassle through courtyard setting. Rooms are perfectly adequate and beds comfortable.

Breakfast is basic but sets guests up for the day at no added cost. I very much appreciated the fact I didn’t have to go outside to get a decent cup of joe of a morning.

There are 2 showers for female guests. Having never stayed in a Polish backpackers hostel before this, I couldn’t say if this is generous or not facilities-wise but these were clean and functional with hot water all day long.

Staff worked well with my online enquiries, offering prompt replies when we needed a private room at 12 days notice- they booked us in for three nights and kept us informed about emerging vacancies. Once we arrived, they were polite, welcoming and their English was excellent.

You can access the internet free of charge at the reception area. There are soft drinks for sale, a big t.v and a couple of couches.

Sadly, at the time of writing there is no common room where international visitors can convene- this fell prey to a fire recently. When you're off out in the neighbourhood, ulica Kazimierza Wielkiego itself has a number of of eateries and there’s a big cinema-the Helios- down the road showing subtitled English language films.

If you want to go for a dip between 6am and midnight , there’s the wowser Centrum swimming complex-founded 1897-at nearby ulica Teatralna. Travelling round? There's a sister hostel 175km away in Poznan.

The Cinnamon is not-unlike many in Wroclaw-obviously a party pad. Generally, it offers excellent value for money with a no-worries atmosphere when the going’s good. However, it does accept stag parties and school groups. This is where it has, alas the potential to become a problem environment.

During three of the five nights of our stay here, noise nuisance from two separate and inadequately supervised Polish high schools was absolutely infernal. Hostel staff need back-up here to enforce the house rules-that it should be quiet between 10pm and 6am .

Perhaps a security guard is something the Cinnamon should be seriously thinking about because incidents like this are super-stressful-the last thing one needs after a long journey-and bad for business: The din is the one factor that would make me think twice about either A returning or B unreservedly recommending this address to others.

Room Tip: All on one level- small parties might be keen to avoid very close proximity to the Lavender Room. Ea...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank fidelma
Dumbarton Scotland
Reviewed October 7, 2011

First the good news. Cinammon Hostel has an ideal location. It is a ten minute walk from the station and just five minutes away from the magnificent town square. Although handily situated on a main thoroughfare, the hostel itself is set back on a courtyard and there is no noise from the street. This is quite unusual in Wroclaw where a lot of hostels lie on the main drag.

The hostel itself is obviously as new as some in Wroclaw but is pleasant and cosy. Each room has a theme relating to a seasoning. This is quite cute and looks good. Beds are comfortable, there are two showers for females in a well-laid out and clean set up. There is a small kitchen and there's proper coffee, toast and cereal for breakfast - included in the price. Internet use is free.

I also liked the staff. I thought they were friendly, efficient, helpful and all spoke good English. They did their best when matters took a turn for the worse during my stay.

Which leads me to the bad news... there is a serious issue at Cinnamon which created problems for me. I should point out that I have a personal rule as regards hostel accommodation. As a female traveller I don't stay in hostels which have a bar or allow stag parties (I later discovered that they DO accommodate stags) Cinnamon has no bar and there were no all male groups of this description during my stay. The problem in question which Cinnamon needs to look at is, believe it or not is..... school parties.

I may have been very unlucky here but when we arrived there was a large group of boys in their mid teens who teachers had no interest in supervising. They played loud music and created a great deal of noise. This lasted ALL night They also caused some damage to the premises after kicking a door.

Once they left another group turned up late at night - when I was trying to make up the sleep I had missed. This all female group were as high as kites, very noisy and the clamour continued, without exaggeration, until dawn.

The upshot was that I only slept two nights out of five. I have got to defend staff here as we were offered another bigger room on the second night and were allowed to stay there for the rest of our stay. They also tried to intervene with teachers etc and I genuinely appreciate these efforts but they were absolutely in vain.It was a very disappointing and frustrating. It made me feel stressed out - on holiday!

Although house rules state that guests should not create any noise between 2200 and 0600 this just could not be enforced. Please think carefully if you value a bit of shut eye because it is just impossible in conditions like this - I'm back home now and I could sleep for a week! It might be worth contacting the hostel directly to see if large groups are coming to stay - conceivably this the only way of avoiding this hassle.

There is a second issue here too. The biggest communal area is not available (which has the unfortunate by-product of creating noise in rooms) There is a very good reason for this. It is sealed off after a recent fire. Workmen came in and were seen to be studying a completely charred room - it was very shocking to see bookcases and a babyfoot table etc that were absolutely black. A member of staff had pointed out smoke damage to me on walls but this was the least of it as the room behind a red sheet was obviously gutted by the blaze. There IS a communal space at reception but it is not the same as having a room like this one where people can chill out without a television or computer and just relax with a quiet chat or a book.

Could there be a link between this fire and the fact that anyone who smokes on the premises is immediately asked to leave? That is absolutely the right of the management to do that naturally -but if only an equally strong line could be taken on school groups. I am not a spoilsport but if left to their own devices they can be an absolute nuisance and the hostel owners need to work out some means of setting down stricter ground rules if other guests are to enjoy their stay.

I don't want to be negative about my experience at Cinnamon but I feel this is constructive criticism and is in the spirit of what this site is all about. I wouldn't like other tripadvisors to experience this through no fault of their own.

Room Tip: If there are noisy guests the sound travels - sorry! This is why you have to be a bit careful with t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Jakall, Manager at Cinnamon Hostel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Hi enquiringcameragirl !

I am sorry to respond to your comment so late. As you know we had plenty of work to do, to recover after the fire that stroke our common area in September 2011. Finally, we have finished all the works and are happy to offer you something completely new :)

I am very glad that there are several aspects of our hostel that you liked. I do hope that in these matters we have not changed :)

The other issue is your complaint about the loud groups you were unfortunate to meet. I totally understand that loud neighbours on a holiday and a bad night sleep can be stressful. We would really like to guest only individual travellers in our hostel but as Wrocław is a very popular city among student groups who come for history lessons we must provide spaces for them too. The staff did what they could, just as you wrote and so we did not ignore the problem. My tip for next time is just to choose to stay in Wrocław either through holidays - June - September or in the winter. These are the times when you can meet plenty of individual travellers from all over the world -not always loud ones :)

Nevertheless, check out our new photos and if you wish so, please come back to expierence better times at Cinnamon :) To help you in the decision I can offer you a 20% discount this time :)

Wish you all the best,