“Quite OK”

The Euro Kaliski Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Slubice
Reviewed June 30, 2013

As usual, I hesitate when assigning the overall rating to the hotel. I would say this one was good - more than "average" and slightly less than "very good".
I stayed there overnight when returning home from my holiday trip to France/Germany. It is a convenient location, because from Polish border there is a motorway to Warsaw.
I found this hotel via booking.com, and due to some doubts after reading the description, I called them to ask a couple of questions. I was offered to book directly by phone, at a slightly lower price and without giving details of my credit card or prepayment. I got a confirmation via email. I asked for a quiet room and I was told those from the back (giving to the parking) are quiet. On the morning of the day of my arrival I was called and informed that unfortunately no such room will be offered, only those giving to the street were left. I do not know what caused this change. Yet it is not of great importance for me, because both me and my stepmum with whom I travel, sleep very well.
The reception is open 24/7 - what a relief after all those places in the Western countries where you have to arrive within a defined and sometimes narrow "window" during the day. Or they are asking you "what time do you think you will come?" - when all I know [1 month before my departure] is that on that day I will be travelling about 400 km and perhaps still sightseeing in the morning.
The parking is convenient, even me, with my rather big car (Mondeo) and poor talent for parking, did not experience any problems. The entrance to the parking could have better signs to it though, especially that the street the hotel is at, does not seem to allow legal U-turns.
There is a lift.
We booked a "lux" appartment. It was really spacious. I liked it and the bathroom too. My mum would have loved a fridge, but it had not been in the offer and in general it is rare for hotels in Poland to offer it. I cannot remember if there was air conditioning. Probably there was (?), but my mum hates it so much that I am never allowed to try it on when I travel with her! We had opened the window. Regarding the noise from outside, I do not remember anything special regarding car noise - although indeed the room gave to the street (but it was rather late and it was Friday). But there was a hotel restaurant below and the guests behaved indeed too loudly. As I say, we sleep well, but if you don't, take this into consideration.
Breakfast was OK - buffet type.
Regarding hairdryer mentioned by Moshe01, indeed I was astonished that it wasn't in the appartment. As expected by me, it was to be borrowed free of charge from the reception. It is surprising as it is usually the case in hotels ** and below.
I cannot say anything regarding fitness or sauna, but based on my knowledge of Polish hotels (I stay a lot in *** and **** in big cities for business), I would say it is not a standard. If you want a hotel with fitness and/or sauna in Poland, make sure you check your chosen hotel has it. Safety deposits are not always in there. Laundry is usually offered [not self-service], I have not much experience with this service in Poland as my stays are rarely longer than 1-2 nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (giving to the parking)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank agulha68

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Unatentive staff, the room was without any air conditioning (although advertised on booking.com as with one). It was facing a bussy street even at night and there were no day curtains. We felt exposed to everyone on the street. We also could not sleep throughout all night because of a lot of passing by cars and drunk people, who were very loud, which was rather surprising considering that Slubice is a very small tawn. There were a lot of mosquitoes too. The remote control was not working properly and the receptionist refused to replace it. So called satellite tv was receiving only 4 or 5 channels. The room deco was dated and tastless, accompanied by super dirty carpet and walls, and broken lamp over the bed. The bathroom looked a little better as wall tiles loocked clean, but towels were dingy and stained, towel rail broken, shower base either dirty or stained (could not figure out) and even plastic cups by the sink were dirty too. Bathroom door needed quit a bit of force when closing. Horrible breakfast (very little choice and hot food consisted of low quality mini bangers, which were burned and omelette without any spices what so ever), which was overpriced and we were overcharged for it too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank vysniukas
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We've visited 18 polish hotels during the last two years but never met one to such a degree not attaining to the given rank. If only the lack of common facilities like fitness, sauna, laundry, safety deposit and hairdryer, but there is no wardrobe in the chamber, and you get just one towel per person! So it is not worth to mention a peeling ceiling and rusty cranes…
But the bitterest catch was their “soundproofed rooms”. The hotel is located on the main road near the border, so one can imagine a heavy traffic of the trucks rumbling all over the night. We had a misfortune to order one of the Deluxe room – all of them have bay windows facing the main crossroad – and could not close the windows due to lack of declared “air conditioning”. Ask a room facing the courtyard, albeit you'll have a nuisance of the always crowded restaurant terrace…

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Moshe R
Reviewed February 26, 2012

hotel recently refurbished, rooms are OK, restaurant downstairs is fine
very close to German border

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank rezi-x
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Nice none lux hotel, free internet that works and parking, central location 5 min walking from the Oder. Rooms are mid class ok everything works and is clean and relativly fresh.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank upkl
Reviewed March 21, 2009

We have stayed for one night there, the building is recently refurbished and overall the rooms look ok , however half of the light bulbs didn't work. We have made a booking through their website but on arrival the lady in the reception couldn't find it even though we had a printout of confirmation email. Moreover, the price for a room was higher than listed on their website and the receptionist admitted that the website hasn't been updated for a while.
There were only two of us, but we were put in a family room with four beds and not much space left, we asked for another room and finally got a double one.
On the plus side, breakfast was really good.
The staff definitely needs more training.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smartturtle
Reviewed October 2, 2008

The Euro Hotel Kaliski lies in the remote town of Slubice.
The hotel is clean but far too expensive for what it is.
However the Hotel has some charms.
The breakfast is an adventure because you are all served the same breakfast and than you can choose if you either want a coffee-plate (!) of scrambeled eggs, bacon cheese or meat.

the rooms however are clean. Personal talks little English or German so at least buy yourself a guide.

the egyptian Restaurant in the hotel is funny with some very nice dishes and a huge menu card.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slubice
Baranowski Hotel
Hotel Anka
#4 of 4 in Slubice
Hotel City Residence
Hotel City Residence
#1 of 8 in Frankfurt (Oder)
City Park Hotel
City Park Hotel
#5 of 8 in Frankfurt (Oder)
Hotel Kaliski Ratuszowy

Been to The Euro Kaliski Hotel? Share your experiences!