“My favorite hotel in Europe”
Review of Hotel Columbus

Hotel Columbus
Ranked #11 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I love this place. I just spent 9 nights there and I can tell you that it's the best overall hotel experience I've ever had in Europe. Seriously. I've stayed in hotels from Edinburgh, to London, to Paris, to Lausanne, to Berlin, and many places in between and this is my overall favorite. Granted, I stay in moderately priced to budget hotels (you're never going to see me walking out of the Hotel de Crillon, as a guest at least), but the Hotel Columbus surpassed any expectation I had for the very reasonable price.

Pros: Where to start. First of all, they have an amazing staff. They are so friendly, helped me make all kinds of arrangements, gave me advice, etc., etc. Most importantly, they left me alone to relax but were right there when I needed them.

The location was perfect. It's about a 15 minute walk to the center of town and the hotel is situated literally right around the corner from Kazimierz. Great food and drink is within steps of the hotel. A previous reviewer was talking about how she felt unsafe on Ulica Starwislna and I can kind of see where she's coming from; with the old architecture, salt of the earth people, and narrow streets you could easily become a little unnerved, but I never felt threatened in the slightest and walked all around the area well after dark. Put it this way, I felt a hell of a lot safer there than almost any American city.

Cons: For my taste, the mattress could have been a little softer. I'm one of those people who doesn't care much for a firm mattress, placing me in the minority I would imagine. If you like a firm mattress, this is your place. Many people would consider this a pro.

Yes, you can hear some street noise. If you live in a city you'll be fine. If your home is on a quiet street then you're going to notice the tram, sirens, people, and cars. You're in the city at the Hotel Columbus and get all that goes with it, the good and the bad. If you want a quiet vacation then you should pass on Krakow altogether and get a place in the Trossachs.

I was hesitant to write this review because I plan on going back to this hotel and I hope it will be as I remember it. I have to admit I'm afraid of the word getting out about how great this place is. But after some consideration I felt it would be real disservice to the hotel and its great staff if I remained silent.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank WilkensB
ColumbusHotelKrakow, Manager at Hotel Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and for your opinion about our neighborhood as well as about street noisy.
It is nice to hear that you were satisfied with our service and enjoyed your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon back at our hotel.

Best regards

Beata Michalska
Hotel Manager
Columbus Hotel

There are newer reviews for Hotel Columbus

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is on a busy road but the location is very good and the hotel itself offers everything form a spotless room to a delicious breakfast. The main square is 15 minutes walk away but if you turn right out of the hotel there is a little square at the back of the Rubenstein Hotel which is lovely at night, it has bars and restaurants all lit up and some local live music if you are lucky. The food was lovely but as it is a lot smaller than the main square you don't get the hustle and bustle - you just sit and enjoy good food and drink in lovely surroundings.

Wouldnt hesitate to stay here again - yes the trams go past but it didnt keep us awake and our room was at the front. Would definately recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel Columbus . From our first step into the hotel the staff made us feel very welcome they are so approachable and helpful they booked a couple of sightseeing trips for us.The hotel and room were immaculate I loved our bathroom with beautiful power shower & cubicle.Wow! The breakfast was good with scrambled eggs, bacon plus a very good selection of continental style choice. We were in room 21 at front of hotel looking onto main street although the trams pass by they did not disturb us (in fact I think it adds to the feel of the city !) With everything in easy walking distance of great bars and places to eat this is a place not to miss ! Must give a mention to the chap at the hotel door with a warm smile and very friendly word.10/10

Room Tip: rooms at front of hotel face the traffic.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BarcelonaButterfly
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Immaculately clean, great location, helpful staff, free wi fi, good breakfast. Can thoroughly recommend. The hotel recommended 2 restaurants and they were both excellent. Easy walking distance of some great bars, district has a lovely vibe to it. I would say this is a great place to stay. Walking distance of the old town is only 10 minutes and it is round the corner from some great bars and restaurants. Will definitely recommend to other people.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter as they are not over the main road.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JATTeesside
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Columbus hotel and can only agree with all the positive comments previously posted. The hotel is lovely and the staff are very attentive and informative. We were in room number 32 at the front of the hotel and it was a little noisy in the late evening and early morning but it didn't stop us from getting a good nights sleep, after all we were shattered from all the walking. The breakfast was lovely with both continental and a small hot selection to choose from. We would happily stay here again!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My partner and I just returned from a 4 night stay at this wonderful hotel.
We arrived early (about 10am) and our beautiful room was ready and waiting. We had asked for a room at the back, after reading the comments on here, and we were not disappointed. We heard almost no noise for the whole duration of our stay. The bed was huge with lovely comfortable bed linen. The bathroom was clean and ultra modern. Breakfast was delicious with hot and cold buffet that filled us up for the day!
The location was excellent, being a 2 minute walk to the Jewish quarter with its abundance of bars and restaurants which were so good that we spent most of our evenings here. The old town is a 10 minute walk down the road, also with excellent bars/restaurants/squares and sights.
We would definitely stay in this hotel and have already recommended it to friends.

Room Tip: Would ask for a room at the back for total quietness, but cant see the tram noise being much of a pr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank theatreg0er
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here with friends as part on a joint 50th birthday trip. Don't be put off by the street the hotel itself is great, from the first contact with the staff to our departure 3 days later they could not have been better. We arrived at 10am and they took out luggage into storage then moved it to the rooms whilst we explored the city, and what a city. The hotel is really well placed for access to the old town and the Jewish Quarter, we ate at the hotel recommended restaurants and they were excellent. The rooms were extremely clean and tidy, mini bar cheap, bathroom lovely with great toiletries, we were at the front and I would agree that it was slightly noisy but after all the walking and frequent refreshment stops we were out like lights each night. Great hot buffet and continental breakfasts. Will definitely be back to Krakow and would stay here again, will be recommending it to all my friends.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple