“Perfection”

Ranked #12 of 259 Hotels in Krakow
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is one not to be missed.The staff were just the best. I would recommend the breakfast to anyone for choice and quality. The hotel is set on the edge of the Jewish quarter and just a ten minute walk from Kracow's main square and all its attractions. Public transport is nearby and taxis can be called by the reception and are very cheap. Kracow is a university town therefore there are many young people which give it a liveliness with it being rowdy, in fact it is a very peaceful town.

Room Tip: any room will do, they are all good.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a four day break at the Columbus Hotel and wish we could have stayed longer. The room we had was at the back and was spotless, the bed was so comfortable we had a fantastic sleep. The breakfast was plentiful and offered hot and cold selection with a great variety and you could have breakfast anytime between 7.30 and 10.30 which was lovely as after all you are on holiday to relax. The staff were very helpful and we booked a trip to Auschwitz with the hotel and could not fault their choice of provider as our guide,s throughout the trip were very informative. I note the previous persons comments about the area but I can honestly say that I did not feel threatened in any way. We are already planning our return to Krakow and the hotel Columbus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights and couldn't recommend it highly enough! Staff were helpful, attentive and informative. Rooms were spacious and clean ( we had a room at the front and the tram noise is a problem) and breakfast was varied and served at a reasonable time.
Fantastic value for money in a good ,safe area!
Recommended ++

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Marley196
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great hotel lovely rooms and bathroom spotlessly clean. Breakfast excellent everything you could wish for, friendly staff. If you dont want to hear the trams during the night ask for a room at the back. Bedding was lovely only the quilt was a little small and my husband and i were playing tug of war with it during the night. No coffee or tea making facilities in the room although there is free bottled water, also an excellent bakers a couple of doors down that does lovely cheap drinks and cakes where you can sit in. A strange thing was though there is a telephone fixed to the wall right nice to the toilet. Excellent value for money and if you want to exchange your money use the jewellers a couple of buildings down much better rate than in the town.

Room Tip: have a room at the back if you want less noise as the trams run throughout the night
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I chose this hotel based on the Tripadvisor reviews and the price I received from Hotel Reservation Service. I know I will be in a minority here, but I want to offer a viewpoint for others to consider, especially single women travelers.

What I saw of this hotel, aside from the exterior, (the front desk, elevator, hallway, and my room) all met with my approval. My room was one of those at the back of the hotel and it was clean, well-appointed, and quiet during the night. The bathroom had newer fixtures and it was spotless. The wifi in the room had a strong signal and there were free bottles of water for the guests. The staff was welcoming and they tried to be helpful.

What was not satisfactory to me and the staff could not change was the neighborhood. I didn't feel comfortable there. As I walked to the hotel from the train station, I noticed that the neighborhood seemed to get rougher the closer I got to the hotel. There were buildings with crumbling concrete, uneven street surfaces, gratiffi, sex shops, lots of signs for alcohol, and generally a rougher group of people in the area. For part of the journey, a group of four young men seemed to be sticking close to me as I hauled my luggage down the street. By the time I got to the hotel, I didn't want to stay there. The hotel personnel tried to reassure me that it was safe, but subsequent walks though the neighborhood that day did nothing to convince me. In the end, I spent a sleepless night there and checked out the next day at 5 am, glad to be leaving the area. I got in a cab and paid 70 zl for the trip to the airport. Since I left before breakfast was served, I can't comment on that hotel service.

I am really surprised that this hotel is rated as highly as it is on Tripadvisor, given its location. I recently stayed in Vienna at about the same distance from its city center for about the same price as this hotel and the area was nothing like what I found at the Hotel Columbus in Krakow. I am used to traveling alone in Europe. I have been doing it for decades. Never before have I had to deal with such an uncomfortable feeling while staying at a hotel in a large city.

I wouldn't recommend this area for a woman traveling alone. I would say, spend a little more or spend a lot more and be in the city center. If I had done that, I might have stayed longer in Krakow.

I'm glad that the hotel didn't try to charge me for the second night I had reserved there. I think that speaks well for this establishment. If the neighborhood was cleaned up and felt safe, I'd happily recommend this hotel to others traveling to Krakow. But at this point, I can't.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank travellady83
grimsby
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the hotel Columbus in January for 4 nights, the hotel arranged four us to be collected from the airport and taken directly to the hotel. This cost about £22 and i would recommend as it is so much easier than having to do it yourself. The hotel itself is in a good location about 10 mins walk to main square, however you can get a taxi really cheap but this did vary night to night, but no more than £4. The hotel staff are very friendly, always someone to open the front door for you and say hello, the breakfast was good,not a great deal of room but adequate. There was cereals, fruit,meat,salad and cheese, yogurt fresh fruit and cakes, you could have bacon , sausage and scrambled egg but if you required fried or boiled egg then you ask and they cook it for you, you help yourself to bread and there was a toaster. Different teas and coffee and fruit juice was also available. The room itself was quite big at the front of the hotel where some tram noise could be heard but after a full day sightseeing we were so tired it did not bother us, if it was warmer and the windows were open it could be a problem although there is air con in the rooms. The bed was big and comfy as was the pillows, plenty of wardrobe space,the room also had a safe, a TV with news channel and a mini bar in fridge, the prices for these items were very cheap, fresh bottled water was also provided every day. The bathroom was lovely it had great toiletries and big soft towels, the shower was fab too very hot and powerful. The hotel and room were spotlessly clean and the ladies were always cleaning away , they too were very friendly. I would return to this hotel we had a great time and would recommend it.

Room Tip: If you require a quiet room ask for one at the back
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paulaGrimsby
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This hotel really was brilliant. We arrived an hour before check-in and our room was ready to go straight up. We had a double bedroom in the back of the hotel on the 3rd floor, and the bed was comfortable, it was a very nice sized bedroom and the bathroom was very modern and clean and well decorated! There was also a mini fridge with beer, spirits and soft drinks, which you could take and were then billed to the room account.

The hotel staff were very friendly, and the breakfast was very varied. There was a good selection with cheeses, ham, bread and toast, cereal, yoghurt, scrambled egg, bacon, sausage (you could also ask for soft boiled eggs or fried eggs). There was also apple juice, orange juice, water, coffee and tea. It was difficult to fault the breakfast. The restaurant was also very clean and was well decorated.

Location wise, it is situated in the fashionable Jewish District where there are some nice bars and restaurants, and it was a 15min walk to Old Town. We also went to Schlinder's Factory, but chose to get a taxi. There is a taxi rank close by - turn right out of the entrance to the hotel and you can see taxis on the same side of the road as the hotel. We personally found taxis easier to use than the trams.

Overall, this hotel provided fantastic accomodation for our trip. The staff went above and beyond to help us with organising taxis/maps. The only thing that could further improve this hotel is to perhaps offer food in the evenings, as we would have loved to order room service when it was too cold outside! But this does not falter the brilliant experience that we had :)

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel to avoid noise from the trams!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends