“Modern room deco and just beside Old Jewish Cemetery”

David Boutique Hotel
Ranked #75 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Enjoyed our stay in Hotel David. The staff were all very polite and helpful. Upon arrival, we were told that we can check in early as there are rooms available. This was really a joy to us as we have a long night on the train from Prague. We were relief to be able to check in around 9am in the morning to have a shower and wash ourselves up. Room has a modern decoration and it's clean and at an acceptable size for triple sharing. Wifi is free and reliable. The only setback is from their website pictures, we assumed the triple sharing room will come with 3 single beds but when we were there, they only just provide a mattress on the floor for the 3rd bed. Oh, we were surprised to find that the Old Jewish cemetery is just beside the hotel, our room 21 directly faces the cemetery. Hence, for those sensitive and faint-hearted travellers, you can try to ask the hotel to give you rooms with other views. By the way, there is a nice Italian restaurant - Portofino Ristorante just around the corner. The ambience and food are very good so highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for David Boutique Hotel

Reviewed April 15, 2012

As the title says this was not booked primarily to be a holiday, but it was something I have always wanted to do.
I booked the Hotel David, having been recommended by friends, directectly by telephone and found them very helpful. They also booked for a taxi to meet us at the airport, telling me how much it would cost and to pay the driver. If I recall correctly, it was very reasonable, and obviously got us there quicker than if we had gone by bus. We had a double room on the top floor, overlooking the cemetary, and we had no complaints whatsoever!
We booked the trips directly through the hotel, and joined the bus just off the Square behind us. The visit to Auschitz and Birkenau cannot be 'enjoyable' but cannot be missed either. On the day we went, I did find it inspiring that so many school youngsters were there and there was none of the 'usual' loudness you get with school outings. Amid all the horror tales, the harrowing exhibits to be seen, and knowing through history what happened here, there is a strange sense of peacefulness. Birkenau has a strange atmosphere, from entering the famous railway line entrance, there are no birds sounds anywhere to be heard, and the only sight of live nature are trees so far in distance..... I know NOW, you are able to visit that area, where the gas chambers where and the eternal flame stands, but it wasn't included on our tour..... If you go up into the tower of the rail bridge, you really get a better idea of just how vast the Hell on earth was. The over riding feeling at end of the tour, for myself, was that of anger and feeling drained. But it had to be done.
The following day we visited the Salt Mines, booked via hotel again, and this has to be seen to be believed! It really is not for those who are wary of small spaces, or if you are unsure on your legs/feet. You do go down an awful lot of steps before you get 'there', and then even further down into mines, but....WOW!
Hotel David is ideally situated for discoving Krakow by yourself if you just want to walk. The old City Square has to be one of the most beautiful in Europe, with stunning buildings, horse and carriages colourfully presented, (would have loved to step back in time to crinoline dresses and waltzes etc. being played!) side roads leading off to a great modern shopping complex, gorgeous parkland and main road down to the Wawel Castle.... another must see. A walk across the river and you are able to see what was Schindler's factory.
A stroll around the overlooked cemetary was very moving, with its own 'wailing wall' made up of old grave stones. Only regret is not realising I had passed the main Synagogue everyday, until the morning we were leaving and while waiting for our taxi to return to airport.
Would I recommend this Hotel and City to friends - YOU BET!

Room Tip: The top floor is reached by stairs because lift doesn't go to the top!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sugarmouse60
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We had a very warm, pleasant and welcoming stay at this very nice little hotel, set in the atmospheric area of the Jewish Quarter and backing on to an old Jewish cemetery. Our good sized bedroom was a double on the fourth floor which was converted into a triple by a pull out foam sofa, adequate for our 17 year old son, but not really for an older adult. The room had plenty of storage spaces, complimentary tea,coffee and bottled water and a lovely bathroom. Breakfast is taken in the basement in a pleasant modern dining area and was itself perfectly adequate to set you up for the day including lovely scrambled egg and sausages. Everything you want to see is easily accessible by just a pleasant walk away and literally out the front door and round the corner is a lovely old Jewish square (oblong), called Szeroka, which is part of the Jewish Heritage Route and at the far end on the right is Klezmer Hois, which is both a small hotel and a restaurant which is extremely highly recommended as part of your Krakow trip as a 'must do' in my opinion, especially on your first night as it is so close. You book to eat at 7.30 and at 8 o'clock every night a concert of traditional Jewish music is played by the 'Quartet Klezmer Trio'. Food is fine but the music is absolutely beautiful especially the voice of Magda Brudzinska (see separate review).

The Hotel David is a perfect little hotel for your Krakow experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Triptrav
Reviewed March 2, 2012

This was my second time in Krakow and I wanted to stay near to where I'd stayed before in Kazimierz. The hotel had good reviews, was inexpensive, looked lovely and is very near bars and restaurants of Pl. Nowy [a local market place]. My mistake was to book it through HRS, a German Hotel Reservation Company, as the booking confirmation I received clearly and undeniably stated that my credit card would be charged immediately by the hotel. To my astonishment, bewilderment and embarrassment I was presented with the bill on my departure.
The police became involved in the dispute over payment but they could barely speak or read english so were of no use in this circumstance. [Please note: I had asked the receptionist on my arrival if the accommodation had definitely been pre-charged to my credit card and she told me it had.] I finally agreed to pay the bill as it was 4am in the morning, my flight was at 6:30 and I had no way of proving if I'd already paid or not. Having said that it is a lovely hotel with very nice staff and I highly reccommend it as long as you know if you'd pre-paid or not.

Room Tip: My room, at the rear, overlooked an old Jewish graveyard which I personally found charming, but it m...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank dfletchertyke
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Hotel David is situated in the old Jewish quarter of Krakow, backing onto the cemetery of the Remu Synagogue. My husband and I stayed there, meeting up with my brother, sister-in-law and nephew for a long weekend. The hotel is small and well-heated :) with about 20 rooms. Our room was on the 4th floor with a view of the above-mentioned cemetery. The room was well appointed with a VERY comfortable bed, nicely carpeted floor, wardrobe WITH ENOUGH HANGERS, TV, complemetary mineral water, complemetary toiletries and a small but adequate and spotless bathroom. The heating worked very well. Breakfast was in the form of a buffet with a good selection of bread, cake, rolls, sausages, scrambled egg, meats, cheeses, salads, cereals and fruit. The ladies at reception and in the dining-room were very friendly. The hotel is a good 15 minute walk to the central Rynek, and there are many atmospheric restaurants in the area with all types of menus, including Jewish and, of course, Polish. To the Wawel Castle you walk about 7 mins. We would definitely book at this hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank smallworld44
Reviewed February 26, 2012

When we arrived we were first offered a double room on the ground floor with a window going out to the patio. It was dark and we did not like it. Receptionist offered another room, on the upper floor, and it was much better. The room was an average size and NO double but twin beds. We would also like a better choice of English speaking channels on TV - most of them were German or Polish. Overall it as a good stay but we would like to have a double bed - that was our major dislike. We definitely liked breakfast - it was fresh and tasty and there was a good choice of hot or cold breakfast option.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank agaw30
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We used Tripadvisor's reviews to help us select this hotel.

We booked for 5 nights, staying over the New Year period. As described, the hotel is well placed in the Jewish area, only about 15 mins walk from the main old town square. We had a warm welcome from the staff and our room was a good size, clean and comfortable. The beds as described in other reviews are very comfortable. My sister and her husband arrived the following day, (a four day stay) but their room was very small in comparison. So the rooms do vary considerably, despite paying the same amount.

The area was very quiet, even though it was New Year with no noise from outside, and no traffic. There are a number of bars and restaurants close by, as recommended by fellow tripadvisors, and on the whole it was easier and more convenient to use these on a daily basis. Good food, good ambience and good value. we enjoyed the bar for drinks (back entrance on the left as you exit the hotel) and sampled many of the local restaurants.

My only complaint with the hotel is about its lack of quality control and consistency. For example one day one of the bath towels provided was in an appalling condition. Frayed was an understatement. Worse than ones we use to clean the car. Also breakfast varied considerably depending upon who was on duty. One two occasions we had a woman, who was simply incompetent. She hid away in the kitchen, left the tables uncleared and did not bother to replenish any of the breakfast food. I knocked on the door of the kitchen to ask her to replace essentials such as coffee, cheese, eggs etc. Each time I found her on the phone and annoyed at being disturbed. She was always slow to respond and it was often easier to go without. However as a comparison, a different woman, was quick, efficient, constantly cleared tables and made sure all supplies were always topped up, without being asked.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends