“Romantic old Krakow dining”

Wierzynek Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 1,502 Restaurants in Krakow
Cuisines: Polish, European, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Stare Miasto
Description: Wierzynek Restaurant is a very unique venue on the map of Poland, where 650-year-old tradition of feasting and modern approach to the culinary arts meet! The tradition of the restaurant dates back to 1364, when a wealthy merchant Mikolaj Wierzynek hosted a splendid feast for the monarchs of Europe on behalf of the Polish King Casimir the Great. At the Wierzynek Restaurant we continue this great medieval tradition of feasting until the present day by giving a royal welcome to each and every one of our guests. In Wierzynek Restaurant you can experience a truly noble celebration, founded not only on ravishing dishes, but also exceptional legendary interiors. You will be enchanted with amazing frescos and paintings embellishing restaurant walls, such as a replica of a well-known painting "The Feast at Wierzynek" by Bronislaw Abramowicz. Furthermore, one of a kind original cordovans, hand-made with artistry and masterful fineness, recently appeared in the famous Wierzynek Room. This unique masterpieces were made according to historical production technology from the turn-of-the-17th and 18th-century, using natural vegetable-tanned calf leather with the layer of genuine silver flake and decorated with gilding effect. Renovated interiors of the restaurant remarkably preserve the memory of a fourteenth-century feast. Having in mind the magic of this place, we proudly celebrate the legend that made our restaurant a symbol of Krakow.
Bristol, England
“Romantic old Krakow dining”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We enjoyed an early new year meal at this old restaurant which claims 14th century origins. Menu is focused on goose and venison, but has plenty of other options. I had a good shellfish soup and excellent venison osso bucco; my partner had goose pate and duck. Apple Strudel desert and good value Hungarian wines made for a great dining experience. The candle lit dining room has a romantic feel with views over the square. With coffee, water and brandy, bill came to £85 for two, which though expensive for krakow felt like good value for an experience of this quality.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank bristolreviewer

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We booked into the Wierzynek due to its fabulous reputation, and that its been open since 1364.
We were not disappointed the food was amazing, the service was exceptional and the surrounding were breathtaking. If in Krakow make sure you visit this restaurant !
3 courses with wine was only £85 which is amazing because this reataurant is high quality FINE dining !

• Visited December 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Don't be scared away by its outlook, it's actually very nice!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I knew the price is relatively higher than other restaurants in Krakow but I was determined to go to the oldest restaurant in town to try its food, and when I walked out, I could easily understand why the business could last seven centuries,
I walked in as a solo traveler, the receptionist greeted me with a smile, didn't turn me away as some other restaurants had done to me before. (It's understandable as serving solo diner makes no business sense to many restaurants) The lovely girl put me to a table next to the window with the view overlook the market square. I was then greeted by my waiter, who's very professional and polite. I decided to have the all goose menu - what a delight! The meals were full of flavor and the bird was cooked perfectly. It was a five course menu and by the end of it I was extremely full. I should also mention the service was fast as my whole dinner took only an hour.
There were not many people in the restaurant when I was there, I saw a lot of tourists turned away after they read the menu outside the door, probably got scared off by the price and the fact that the restaurant has a receptionist. My advice: don't be intimidated by the outlook, the food is worth the price and the service is actually very friendly and warm.

Visited December 2013
“Excellent!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Seriously, this restaurant was soooo good! The interior seems authenthic , the service is great and the flood was top notch! I had a chocolate dessert with mint Ice cream, the best dessert I've had in a long time! Value for money indeed. Don't let the touristy street outside scare you.

• Visited December 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Operating since 1364”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Everything about this restaurant was amazing. Exquisite food, friendly helpful staff. It's fine dining at UK pizzeria prices. Thank you Monika for the recommendation

• Visited November 2013