“Overrated & Stuffy”

Wierzynek Restaurant
Ranked #91 of 1,732 Restaurants in Krakow
Cuisines: Polish, Cafe
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stare Miasto
Description: Wierzynek Restaurant is a very unique venue on the map of Poland, where 650-year-old tradition of feasting and modern approach to the culinary arts meet! The tradition of the restaurant dates back to 1364, when a wealthy merchant Mikolaj Wierzynek hosted a splendid feast for the monarchs of Europe on behalf of the Polish King Casimir the Great. At the Wierzynek Restaurant we continue this great medieval tradition of feasting until the present day by giving a royal welcome to each and every one of our guests. In Wierzynek Restaurant you can experience a truly noble celebration, founded not only on ravishing dishes, but also exceptional legendary interiors. You will be enchanted with amazing frescos and paintings embellishing restaurant walls, such as a replica of a well-known painting "The Feast at Wierzynek" by Bronislaw Abramowicz. Furthermore, one of a kind original cordovans, hand-made with artistry and masterful fineness, recently appeared in the famous Wierzynek Room. This unique masterpieces were made according to historical production technology from the turn-of-the-17th and 18th-century, using natural vegetable-tanned calf leather with the layer of genuine silver flake and decorated with gilding effect. Renovated interiors of the restaurant remarkably preserve the memory of a fourteenth-century feast. Having in mind the magic of this place, we proudly celebrate the legend that made our restaurant a symbol of Krakow.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My sister took me and my girlfriend here for a treat in Feb 2010, even though the food was great the place was stuffy, the waiter not too friendly and because we didnt look like the normal guests (we turned up in jeans & we're all quite young) treated us with a bit of disdain, there are much better places with better service and atmosphere in Krakow

Write a ReviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The location, feeling, interior and service of this restaurant is absolutely top class. However the food quality is lacking.

We visited the restaurant for lunch and sat on the outside terrace. First we were given some free entrees which was a nice threat - a kind of ice cream/sorbet. However the taste was absolutely awful. We simply didn't manage to eat it. Second came the lunch dishes. The chicken was dry. The fish was dry. Both lacked in taste. We had to spice it up with pepper to really get any taste at all.

This is one of the most famous and the oldest restaurant in Krakow. It seems to be living on old reputation. There are much better restaurant at the main square than this with better value and better food.

2  Thank misterminute
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We visited Krakow in September 2012 and on our last day we decided to eat at the Wierzynek restaurant (I had the ram, wich was excellent). The service was excellent (our glasses were never empty) and the food was delicious! I can understand that some might think the prices are a bit too high but don't forget you're in a unique place and you have a great view on the main market square. We were seated outside and the chairs were verry comfy and there was always a waiter around in case you needed something.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We were looking forward to going to the best restaurant in Krakow. Alas, the worst experience ever. I happen to be very allergic to butter. In all other restaurants normally chefs are proud of making their famous dishes with olive oil in stead of butter and seeing me happy. Or trying something new. Not here. I got a plate full of four vegetables without anything, not even oil, salt, pepper, cheese or meat. It looked disgusting and I didn't take a bite. Still I had to pay 15 euro for this disaster. The waiter offered to pay me back, which I refused. It was not his fault that in this restaurant there is no chef at work.

1  Thank RonandJoke
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I am Polish so plizz trust me , I know how polish food should taste:)
Wierzynek has a great selection of typical polish starters, main courses and desserts. unfortunately when I visited this place last time service and food was very disappointing:(
Yes, starters are top notch, but main course-not really-over cooked fish, almost burned potatoes sinking in fat. Pork loin- breadcrumbs looks like deep fried - unacceptable in polish kitchen. Beef was just fine.
Waitress didn't know what type of meat was used to made pate-pasztet.
I asked for "kluski i rolada z czerwoną kapustą" for a main course. She took an order, but came back after 10min to apologize and inform, that this meal is unavailable today(tuesday-lunch time).
Restaurant wasn't busy but service was really slow.
I understand that if You want eat sth good you have to wait, but we`ve been waitingme a long ti and we didn't get anything special:(
I am hoping that this was only one time letdown and that will never happen again.
Place is still magical and you can feel the history in there:)
So in the end- try it, and if You don't like it I will recommend to go to Hawełka- another very good restaurant on Market Square or Wentzl.