“A Magical memorable night.”

Restaurant Ogniem i Mieczem
Ranked #181 of 1,599 Restaurants in Krakow
Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We will host you Honourable Dames and Sires, with a gladness in our hearts in the halls of a seventeenth century tavern with splendidly flavoursome food and drinks of all sorts. Our maids and lackey open the gate at noon and close them at 12 on dusk. Chy canst savour delicacies of the olden polish cuisine. And all these delicious bites should taste the finest when washed down with a quart of exquisite spirits. We will be delighted with your company. Thyncanst east in four chambers uniting ten dozen quests to the sounds of the ancient tunes of Poland, Lithuania and Ukraine. Crackling flames of blazing fire in the hearth will relocate thy back in time to the depths of Sienkiewicz's "With Fire and Sword". The letters of Scripture proclaim that when father and mother are no longer thy will listen thy uncle. Alas, as thy uncle, I tell you and swear a solenn oath that thou will not find more mouth-watering victuals and beverages in all the land of Poland and neither in Inflants. I now what I say stands true for I travelled the Inflants far and wide many a time
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We booked this restaurant by email from home before we travelled. Although we have visited krakow before I was keen to find some different restaurants to try as we were bringing my daughter. Got an email back within a couple of hours to confirm booking.
On arrival (Monday evening) I was a little concerned the restaurant maybe empty as a ten minute drive from main square but decided to stick with original plan and go regardless. Well, I must say we were so glad we did. As soon as we left our taxi, walking through the quirky grounds of this restaurant we could smell the wonderful food being cooked on the wooden fires inside.
We were greeted warmly and shown through to a smaller room by the bar and although there were only 5 or 6 tables occupied almost immediately felt at home and loved the atmosphere.
We explained to our waiter (in fantastic traditional dress) that we needed some advice on what to order.
On his recommendations we went with rack of ribs, half cooked honey chicken and duck cooked with wonderful red sauce. The food was truly delightful and cooked to perfection. This was served in wooden traditional plates along with 5 local salads including horseradish, cabbage and delightful hand cooked potato chunks.
There really is a wonderful atmosphere.
We also ordered 3 mugs of house red wine, 2 large beers (one which was hot with honey) and 2 blackcurrent juice for me daughter.
To finish the choice for dessert is simple, cheesecake or apple pie, when a restaurant only offers 2 desserts you know they must be good, we opted for the warm apple pie with ice cream, mmmm yum yum.
All in all for the 3 of us we had the most memorable evening even on a quiet Monday night and we will definitely return on our next visit to krakow. Also can't remember exactly what we paid but was very very good value for money.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Ogniem i Mieczem

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is an absolute must. If it had not been recommended to us we would not have known it existed. But so glad we made the effort to find it. Ambiance, service and quality of the food and drink are faultless. Make it a must when visiting Kraków you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

If you think that eating in Poland is going to be all pork and dumplings I hope my two reviews of my most recent visit to Krakow will disavow you of that - although if you like pork and dumplings they are still available!

A group of eight of us visited this river side restaurant just before New Year and had a simply brilliant time. From the outside it looks like any large turn of the century Polish building, a farmhouse perhaps, but inside it is all wood and reminiscent of a hunting lodge or chalet. We got a large table and the shots arrived as soon as we sat down, followed shortly after by wine in pottery jugs and mugs to drink it from!

Our waiter, suitably done up in Polish traditional costume, recommended we simply try a selection of dishes which he promptly began to bring out. Every one was delicious - our vegetarian had a beautifully cooked fish, the rest of us were spoilt for choice with ribs, chicken done in honey & herbs, steak and any number of other dishes. Simply super!

Particularly a good choice for a whole group - you won't be disappointed! But if there is a group of you reserve it.

1  Thank MalcolmT1
Reviewed October 8, 2013

the restaurant is beatifull, warm and authentic. located south of Kazimierz, over the river in a resident district. my sister had a very special Trout, baked in the over and I had the crispy haxe, which was excellent! the prices are fare and the portions are big. 25 minutes walk from the Holiday Inn City Center, Krakow.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Me and my friends was looking for some genuine polish restaurant and was recommended this place. It was great. Great food, great drinks and excellent service. And you have to try the honey.....