“A lovely and comfortable Polish experience”

The Piano Guest House
Ranked #30 of 128 Krakow B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“A lovely and comfortable Polish experience”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. We did not book breakfast but were offered when we got there and it was a great spread. The guest house owners were extremely friendly and helpful, we were offered tea when we arrived and they couldn't have done more. They booked our taxi to the airport when we left and we paid 36 zlotys, whereas from the airport we paid 89! Very large, spacious room with a lot of character. Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
The North
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I visited Krakow at the end of September and enjoyed three nights at the Piano Guest House. I was hoping for an authentic Polish stay and was not disappointed.

The owner is a middle-aged Polish lady, a lovely lady who can't do enough to help you. On my arrival at 11pm she made me tea and cake; in the morning she made breakfast for whatever time I wanted, this took the form of a selection of breads, cheeses and cold meats and was delicious.

The guest house itself is quite small and when I visited I was the sole guest, although from talking to the owner I understand she usually gets quite busy at weekends. Her English was more than serviceable, on the few occasions where this was a problem she called her son, fluent in English, to translate.

The property itself is simple but very comfortable. The bathroom was fairly modern and very clean.

The location of the property is ideal for accessing the train and bus station and is less than twenty minutes walk from the centre of Krakow.

I would not hesistate to recommend this guest house to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank JC991
Paris, France
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Just got back from a 4 night stay. The Guest House is a real gem! The neighbohood is very calm. Alexandra and her son Tadeusz gave us a lot of useful tips about Krakow. They are multilingual and truly love their city. Strongly recommended to everyone!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Robert D
Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a five night stay.

The house is typically Polish - and that's a good thing. If you want a soulless place, try the IBIS.

The breakfasts are something to remember with a good variety of Polish options.

The guest house does look as if is in a 'run down area' but a lot of Poland looks like that! I believe that this is part of the charm of Poland.

Our room was at the front of the house and noise could be a problem. The trains pass by within 200 yards, so having a window open at night could be an issue if you are a light sleeper. It didnt bother me though.

The owner does not have English as her first language. This didn't come as a surprise as she is Polish. Her English, however, is much better than my Polish. I think it's a little arrogant to travel and expect everybody to speak your language. A phrase book helps here. We managed well, however, and had no misunderstandings at all.

Life is about expectations. Travel with an open mind, and disappointments are few and far between. The Piano guest house is a delightful, authentic and inexpensive place to stay. It is a short walk to the bus, the tram and only a fifteen minute walk to the spectacular old town square.

On balance, we liked it and would go again.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Officerincharge
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed in the Piano Guest House for 3 nights in May.
We liked the hospitality of pani Alexandra and her son Jan. They gave us a lot of useful tips about Krakow.
The breakfasts were delicious and ...heartwarming.
Owners made this place with spirit and love.
The atmosphere in the hotel is magical.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Dmytro Panchenk... P
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I got scared when we were approaching the guest house, a run down area where you would not get any sleep due to the trains passing by every 10 minutes, drunks screaming in the middle of the night. The room was musty, and I was not comfortable opening the windows because I have a 3 year old, and the windows have to be open all the way and just made me very nervous, I opened the window when my kid fell asleep to let some air in. I do not recommend this place to families with small children. The breakfast was awesome and the owner was a very nice lady.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rafig2180
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying a few nights at the Piano Guest House. My boyfriend and I had a beautiful room, coffee on arrival (even an offer of breakfast despite the fact we'd shown up at 8am, hours before check-in) and got to meet the most wonderful hosts, Orla and Jan. If you're travelling by train or bus, the guest house is in the perfect location. It's just a few minutes walk away. It is about 15 minutes from the main attractions, but it's such good value accommodation it's worth the extra walk.

We had some issues with our bus booking out of Krakow on our last day there and Jan went out of his way to help us sort them out, right down to giving us a cut-price room so we had somewhere to stay until our late-night train left. And Orla was amazing - dishing up the most wonderful breakfast every morning.

I highly recommend staying at the Piano Guest House. If I'm ever back in Krakow, I'll definitely be booking again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the house are quieter and prettier.