“Very well located”

Ranked #52 of 256 Hotels in Krakow
Rayleigh, Essex
“Very well located”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was a little worried about staying in this hotel after reading some of the reviews re noise. However, maybe our timing was perfect for during our 3 night stay we did not experience any noise whatsoever. Not sure if building work has finished or the fact we arrived the day before a national holiday (1st Nov).
The hotel is very much a boutique hotel, minimalistic and very stylish. Our room was comfortable although a little dark and like a previous reviewer mentioned, we too, had a problem with some of the lights not working. We did mention this to reception on our first night and bulbs removed but not replaced until day three and then one of them stopped working. The bathroom was very clean and stylish and although we had a jacuzzi bath we found out on the last evening (whilst trying to use it) that this too didn't work, which was a little disappointing.
Breakfast was included in our rate and we were very impressed with the breakfast area, which again in keeping with the style of the hotel,was very stylish and although not the largest buffet on offer, there was more than enough choice especially as you could have a range of hot choices too.
In fact, we were so impressed with the presentation of our scrambled and poached eggs we decided to book a table in the evening and again were not disappointed.
The one thing you cannot fault this hotel on is the location! Right on the edge of Krakow's main square and within easy walking distance of many of Krakow's sights.
One final thing to comment on is the spa facilities. Although we didn't have any massages we did make use of the pool, steam and sauna. Very relaxing after a day of sight seeing.
All in all a very enjoyable stay - would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DebLRayleigh_Essex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was my first trip to Poland and it happened to be for a conference, which was being held at this hotel so decided to stay at this hotel. I booked 2 rooms one for me and another for a colleague. I was very kindly upgraded to a bigger room which was great. The building is a mix of ultra modern and large old townhouse. The decor of very tasteful and subtle. Clean lines, minimal very luscious toiletries. The exposed beams in the rooms, the wooden furniture and animal skin rug made me feel like I was in a chateau. It is clear that the interior of the bathrooms take their inspiration from the famous salt-mines, with a Jacuzzi bath and separate rain shower.

The Jacuzzi bath could do with a bit of a clean out as it pumped out a lot of dirt when I turned it on. We ate dinner, breakfast, lunch and had room service while we were there; the quality of the food was really very good. The room service menu could do with being extended a little as it is quite minimal, I have to say they made the best tuna sandwich I have ever eaten.

There were some lovely touches thrown in like a fruit bowl in my room and a turn down service.

However, what lost the hotel a 5 star review from me was the fact that the construction next door was SOOOO loud, we were not informed of this prior to arriving. I was rudely awoken by drilling and banging that felt like it was in my room at 7am! my upgraded rooms didnt seem like such a treat anymore. Wish I'd have had a quiet room in another part of the building. Breakfast was not included in the price of the room which given how expensive it was it should have been. I had requested an iron & ironing board to be delivered to my room which took them an hour to deliver. The reception staff were not very friendly. on the plus side the housekeeping, taxi service and bell boys were amazing!

The 6th floor of the hotel has an open air bar where we had drinks and canapes, with a fantastic view of the old square.

My colleague and I made full use of the spa the next day and I even booked myself in for a warm honey massage. The pools area is very lush; I had my massage in the salt room. I wish it was a little more "private" having to get semi-naked when I could easily be seem from the pool was a bit odd. My massage was lovely the sensation of having warm honey poured onto skin was very relaxing. a bit of a mission to wash off, but well worth it.

I would stay here again and make sure I ask for a room that is FAR away from any construction so I wont be woken up at 7am! An otherwise pretty great experience.

Room Tip: ask the reception to give you a room as far away from any construction work as possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Germany
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Do not book it!

The hotel is under heavy restauration work, as the hotel expands to the neighbor house. This means: starting at 7.00 or 7.01 am (I can only say it was definietly not 7.02!) heavy hammer work is starting, definitely waking you up with a cry. My further unhappy experience after the first short night: at the second evening, at Saturday, the hotel was booked by a 100 people group and a life band taking the whole lobby (atrium) until 1am in the morning. Unfortunatly, almost all rooms have access from the atrium, i.e. due to the unsealed room doors: you can here the life band. OK, I took my earplugs with me so I did not hear the life band any more. However, as the band and all its stuff had to be removed until the next morning and the chairs and tables had to be arranged until the next morning, uninstallation work started as from 1 am until 4am in the morning!!! No ear plugs can rescue in this situation. When checking out in the morning (200€ per night) I told the reservation desk that I was unhappy with my stay due to the short nights... You can not imagine, the young man did not even make react in any way to my remark and used my credit card and gave me the debit note as being deaf-mute. Finally, when signing the credit card note, I again started saying: You often have such kind of complaints, don't you. And he answered: "Yes. I do, very often. But according to Polish law, worers can start at 7 am." I told him that this is not a question of law but a question of the ordering hotel. If the hotel says to the workers, start at 8, they have to accept that. He immediately agreed and told me that he had transfered the complaints to the management in the past. The outcome...

Further, the rooms are very dark. They are clean, the bathroom is new and nice. Not all lights were working in my room.

We had a conference and booked the large conference room. Acoustics have been unbelievable bad. Never book this room. Permanent beamer problems!

A nightmare for a 5 star hotel which is perfectly located.

Restauration work is continuing until Mai 2014!!!

Room Tip: just avoid this hotel at least until Mai 2014!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank fairfeedback
Wimbish, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Wonderful decor, great views from the rooftop champagne bar and fantastic pool in the ancient cellar. The restaurant is first class as are the staff. i cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and i have stayed in 6 others in Krakow. Indulge yourself!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

During my recent visit to Krakow I visited Stary Hotel’s Wellness & Spa for an evening of relaxation. I had visited Auschwitz earlier that day and my visit to unwind at the spa was the best thing I could have done. I also managed to pick a quiet night (mid-week) for my visit as there were only 2 other people using the facility at that time. Apparently they are usually much busier, and more so during the weekends.

The fee for guest NOT staying in the hotel is 60PLN for unlimited use of Finnish Sauna, steam room, 2 swimming pools, small gym and salt cave. They also provide slippers, towel and bathrobe for duration of the stay.

Would definitely visit again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank finn-chick
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Stary Hotel for just one night on business. Fair to say the place has a fantastic location within seconds from the main square. It is also one of those butique places where you are literally struck by the quality of interiors. Certainly one could tell that everyone around working there is very proud of the place.

+ great location next to the main square
+ beautiful interior design
+ spacious rooms, frankly mine was bigger than my first appartment
+ good food but I'd argue that too fancy. Quail in room service? Where is the good old burger and club sandwich?
+ friendly and helpful staff

If there is anything one could complain about that is:
- because of some renovation works I was woken by hammers at 7 am, a bit too early for workers to start
- hotel is on an upper range of price scale

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel is located only a few meters of Krakow's main square, so the location could not be better. The entrance is nondescript, I arrived at 1 am and drove two times around the block until I realized where it is. But once inside the Hotel offers a very nice architectural mix of old and new elements, which continued into the rooms. The style of the room is a bit dark but I liked it a lot. My single room had only a 100 cm bed, but the room and bathroom were spacious. I did have a bathtub. Breakfast was not bad, but the variety a bit too small for a 5-star hotel.

Biggest minus at the moment: there seems to be some major construction going on in an adjacent building, noise started at about 7 am or so on Friday and Saturday, there was nothing on Sunday. In my room on the third floor the noise was noticeable but not too disturbing, while for friends staying on the first floor it was much worse, they heard it even when using ear plugs.

Room Tip: Right now I'd go for something higher up to escape the construction noise. Maybe explicitly ment...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo