Amber Hotel
$121
$117
Excellent 5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscherry vodkathe main squareold townquiet streetexcellent hotelsalt minesscrambled eggsvery helpful staffminute walklittle touchesside streetfamily roompacked lunchtea and coffeefresh fruitwonderful cityboutique hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just got back from 3 nights in Krakow, staying at Hotel Amber. This is a lovely little hotel. Staff are very helpful and friendly. I called the hotel the day before our arrival to ask for them to organise tranfer from the airport. There was someone waiting with a board with our name on as we walked into the arrivals area to drive us to the hotel. It was 80 zloty and took about 25 mins. The location is fantastic, only 5 mins walk to main market sqaure and its many restaurants and bars. Krakow is a fairly small city so the Market Square, Castle and Jewish Quarter are walkable from the hotel. There is a bank across the road and a supermarket on the adjoining street.
Check in was easy. They gave us maps and guide books to help us plan what we wanted to do. The hotel also publishes a news bulletin with details of tours, local transport and events, which was useful. They also put the weather forecast on the notice board.
It is a small hotel so the rooms aren't huge, but they aren't terribly small either as some reviews may suggest. They are clean and include flat screen TV, Kettle with teabags (No fridge for milk though), hair dryer, safe and A/C. They provide complimentary shampoo/shower gel but no body lotion or shower cap.
It is in the city so it can be quite noisey. The curtains don't block out the light very well. However, I believe you may obtain eye masks and earplugs from reception and you can just turn the A/C on to drown out some noise. The main issue I had with the room was that the double mattress had 2 single duvets on it, it got a bit cold at night as the cold got under the duvet so we had to huddle together. It would be warmer and more comfortable with a double / king duvet.
The breakfast buffet was ok, but the food on the hot buffet was always cold. Cold eggs and sausages - not great! The breakfast room is quite small so you may have to wait for a table. There is a good selection on the cold buffet, including fruit, salad, yoghurt, breads, cereal and fruit juice.
If you want to go to Auschwitz or the salt mines the receptionist will book the tour for you. It is approx 130 Zloty for the Auschwitz tour and 135 Zloty for Salt mines. The hotel also did a packed lunch for us to take with us just over £3. Alternatively the Grayline tour office in the square organises tours too. You can do Auschwitz and Salt mines in one day with them and if you booked a tour with them you could get a reduced rate for your transfer back to the airport.
Overall I really liked this hotel. I would stay again if visiting Krakow.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LOLOAQICI82QB4IP
Reviewed September 9, 2012

stayed here beginning Sept for 3 nights, chose Amber hotel based on its good reviews for location, value for money and boutique-style.
The hotel is quite contemporary and modern, but situated in an old building, is fairly small and still has character.
The location is indeed very good, a 5 min walk to main square, we easily walked to all attractions/sights such as Wawel castle andJewish district.
We generally found the location to be quiet and no noise from cars or people outside, worth mentioning is the building works which were going on next door, we could hear banging in the mornings and if we came back to our room at lunchtime or 4pm, this wasnt really an issue for us since we were up and out from 7am and by time we went to bed there was no noise, probably worth checking if you like to sleep in late though!
We had breakfast at the hotel each morning, I found this fine, usual continental style, my only issue was the lack of real juices, think they used squash? my husband had the cooked breakfasts and had no complaints, my dad did comment that the eggs were sometimes on the cold side, so another possible area for improvement.
The hotel organised our taxi pick up from the airport (80 PLN) and also our trip to Auschwitz (170PLN pp) the taxi pick up was waiting in arrivals as soon as we walked through, the taxi to Auschwitz was booked for 8am but turned up 30 mins late, the hotel reception staff were extremely apologetic and promptly cancelled the late taxi and had a new one with us 5 mins later, also negotiated a 50% discount on our return taxi to airport.
Overall the hotel staff were extremely helpful, polite, friendly and the hotel and our rooms kept spotlessly clean.
Our room was huge and airy, nice soft bed linen and some complimentary toiletries such as shower gel and soap.
The curtains in the room didnt do a great job of keeping the morning light out, again this wasnt too much of an issue since we wanted to be up and out early on, we did also notice that the hotel provided eye-mask, ear plugs, extra pillows on request so worth noting if you are require an ultra-dark room.
The hotel has its own kitchenette area on the ground floor which contains a fridge, microwave and kettle, so useful to keep cold drinks (there is a supermarket on both the roads directly left and right out of hotel)
Overall, we had a great stay and the Amber hotel provided a really good base to explore Krakow and was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: ask for a room as far away as possible from building next door being renovated to avoid noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I spent only one night in this hotel. Hotel is very close to the city center. Maybe 5 min. by foot. Rooms were very small, nut clean, without some mistake. Check in and checkout was without any problem. Little problem was with a parking - full street. Wi fi was available - free. Breakfast was ordinary- suffitient, standard buffet. Pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JuliusO
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Great location,true. Friendly staff,true. Four star hotel??????. Cramped rooms,true. Simple basic amenities,true. No booze in the room. We were here for four nights. My biggest problem was the breakfasts. Boring. Cold eggs every morning. Cold coffee. Artificial juices. They need to do a lot better in this department. Location, location location.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deepchi
hotelamber10, Manager at Amber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay, the friendly staff and central location in particular.

Please accept my apologies for a dissatisfaction with the quality of breakfast. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard of service. We are genuinely committed to providing the very highest standard of cuisine and would very much value your comments or suggestions. This obviously shouldn’t happened and we have shared your feedback with our restaurant's team and manager.

I would be delighted to welcome you back to Hotel Amber in the not too distant future.

All the best,
Paulina Zolkowska-Samorek

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel Amber with my partner and friends and we had a very enjoyable visit. The staff were very friendly and helpful; the hotel was spotlessly clean and the self-service breakfast was large and varied.

The hotel arranged our taxi transfer to the hotel and the taxi driver was waiting for us with a sign at arrivals. You pay the taxi driver direct and it's very reasonable - around £16. (80 PLN).

The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the main square/town centre so there's no need for taxis, etc, when exploring. The hotel also has a good selection of umbrellas for guest use in the reception area - pretty useful for our very wet weekend!

The reception staff also arranged our trip to Auschwitz at very short notice and provided a substantial packed lunch for approx £3 each (though there are several fast food outlets outside Auschwitz).

The only downside was that there was some serious building work going on at a neighbouring building - and the builders start work at 7am during the week! I guess the noise might not be too bad if you're in the central part of the hotel but we were in a corner room on the 1st floor, right next door to where the building work was taking place. I appreciate this is beyond the control of the hotel but it was very noisy if you wanted to lie in beyond 7am.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barbietowers247

Dear Travelers,

It warms my heart to read reviews such as yours. The staff here tries so hard to make each guest's experience unique and special, and we are all very pleased when we succeed in doing that. Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. This is indeed, a pleasure to hear.
I am apologize that you were woken up by the worker team in the neighbouring building.We are very grateful for your understanding, agree that it is beyond our control. They are our neighbors, with whom we want to live in harmony and also to understand their situations. I have spoken to them regarding the noise and they agreed not to make any loud noise until after 09:00hrs and only during the week, not during the weekend. One again I’m really sorry that during your stay the work began before the specified time.
I would be more happy to have a chance to show alternative rooms in distant parts of the hotel and find comfortable room for you.

Please do contact me directly when you would like to return as I would personally like to oversee your stay.
If is anything I can assist you with please contact me at rezerwacje@hotel-amber.pl

With kind regards,