“Perfect short break”

Ranked #18 of 256 Hotels in Krakow
Boston, United Kingdom
“Perfect short break”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Having never been to Poland before we took stock of the reviews on Tripadvisor and were not disapointed. The Amber Hotel situated down a quiet side street only a five minute walk from the old town centre is the perfect place to stay. It is a small hotel, very friendly and caters for the disable person by having a stair lift even for the half dozen steps into the reception and a lift to all rooms. We found the food a wide choice of both hot and cold, English or Polish and all very enjoyable. Having traveled to many countries I can truthfully say this was the cleanest place I have ever stayed in. Rooms are large enough to be comfortable, bathroom the same. There is a friendly touch added by the fact there were a couple of ornaments on the window sills, a Teddy sat on the bed and a decanter of Cherry Vodka for you to try. Thankfully we were given a city map as we were once lost and we were even offered the loan of an umbrella one evening when it looked like rain. Trips can be booked through the hotel if needed. Four of us stayed in two rooms and even between us we could not find a fault with the Hotel. I would have put they had tea and coffee in the rooms but not milk, which seems the norm in Poland as we did struggle to get a drink with milk added, but after asking at the reception desk about milk they produced a carton from their kitchen so this leaves us with no complains at all. If we went again to Krakow this is where we would stay again.
Carol Turner.

Room Tip: Not great sights from any window as it was in the city but all clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank bodturner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed October 15, 2011

A nice hotel just a few minutes walk from the mainstreets. Big room. No traficnoise at nighttime.

• Stayed October 2011
Angelholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Kindly and very helpful serviceminded staff. Very helpful to give tips about restaurants, transports and things you can visit or do.
Clean, quite and very nice hotel.
Perfect location near the city, just 5 min walk to old town.
This hotel is more like a 4-stars hotel.
I can really recommend this.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Solveig J
Oviedo, Spain
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Solid 3 star hotel in a good location. Comfortable rooms and friendly staff. Great choice if you find a good deal.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I chose this hotel as I usually do in recent years by studying a lot of reviews on trip advisor, and then evaluating location and characterestics of the property to my taste. (This actually guaranteed me a 4-5 star satisfaction in almost all chosen hotels, except this one)

I made the reservation through my preferred medium Expedia, and payment done in full long ahead. On arrival to the hotel few minutes before midnight. The front disc lady receiving me with my name on just passing through the hotel door; you should be Mr..., and then to declare apologetically that the previous occupier of my reserved room got sick, and his wife insisted that they can not leave with his health condition!! (I later recollect: husband and wife in my reserved SINGLE room??!!)
That was actually quite a shock receiving it in the middle of the night after a more than 4-hour train trip from Lodz. My helpless protests of course go in vain as there was no room, and I was told by 2 senior Polish couples (4 persons) waiting in the reception area and strongly criticizing the staff that they are facing exactly the same problem as mine! The reception lady tried to interrupt their flow of words to my side, but of course could not, and they explained a situation similar to mine with prepayment, and no rooms!

On the other hand the receptionist was actually trying her best to apologize, and offering a room in a nearby similar 3-star hotel, which I did not know the name of previously through trip advisor, so I hesitated, and tried to think how to manage. I strongly asked the lady to call my second choice in list, which she did, to tell me they did not have a room for my full stay. At the end, I found no other option but to accept their offer and suggested hotel, Hotel Maksmillian in the same neighborhood, which actually proved to be of very good value, and excellent customer service. Despite being close, the lady insisted to order a taxi for me. she all the time kept mentioning that her manager is going to call me the following morning to offer her personal apology and a good offer?

In the following day, I received the call from this lady manager, who started her conversation by: so you want to talk to me! My simple reply was that I of course did not, neither I requested her call by any means, it was the suggestion of her staff as mentioned earlier. My short available time in beautiful Krakow made me less interested to waste it in any further fruitless protests with such un-professional management. Despite some words, her apologetic tone was way less than that of the front disc girl of the previous night, who at least showed sincere interest in apology. Both did not need to make a story about a sick man and wife staying in the single reserved room. Probably if they just mention that they made a mistake of overbooking, it would be a bit more palatable.

The managing lady asked about my requests, and I said none, but mentioned that the hotel i was referred to was half the rate on expedia compared to theirs, and this she replied that she is going to refund 30% through expedia the following day (that was done). But what exactly is this business? the room rate in the good hotel i was referred to was 50% of their rate on expedia, but they refund 30%!! Is the 20% difference their reward or commission on their bad management?!

If many reviews give a value of even a million for a hotel, and then you do not find your prepaid room available then it is a big zero, and when you multiply the good million by the zero, the net result is a big zero! I give the one star if i may say, because of the way they secured the room in Hotel Maksmillian in the same neighborhood, and the apparent keenness of the front disc lady to find a way out of their big mistake

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel, They would not secure your room even with prepayment
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank eyecairo
hotelamber10, General Manager at Amber Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Users,
Thank you very much for expressing your opinions. We are very sorry that the above situation occurred, but we would like to ensure that it did not result from purposeful actions of the hotel.
Knowing that we could not guarantee accommodation in our hotel, and being aware that choosing us by our Guests was not merely accidental (probably on the basis of perfect recommendations and comfortable location), we felt immense stress in this situation. We would like to comment in several sentences on the opinion stated, as we believe that it does not fully reflect the situation.
In fact, the booking by the Guest covered a double room with a note that it would be dedicated for a single person. We would like to add that Hotel Amber has in its offer only double rooms, smaller or larger, which are offered for single-person use, thus a suggestion of the Guest that the booked single room could not be used by two persons is untrue and results only from his unawareness of the structure of rooms in the hotel. We would like also to add that the Polish couples referred to by the Guest in the opinion did not have booked rooms in our hotel at all. The receptionist explained this, but she was forced to talk at the same time to you and to the Polish couples due to their impatience.
We are also sorry that the telephone call to the manager, in which we wanted to express our apology for the situation, was wrongly received. We are sorry for its contents and would like to apologise for it again.
We also would like to make a note about the differences in the prices of stay in other hotels, which the Guest recalls. The comparison of prices in hotels of the same standard on different dates shows that the differences in the rates may be very high and depend on many factors, including booking vacancies, booking dates and allotment.
For years, we have been doing our best to obtain the best possible references. Therefore, we have made all efforts to make this situation the least stressful for the Guest and we have tried to compensate all inconvenience to him. We would not like this one event to have influence on our long years of work and outstanding reputation.  We would be very sorry to hear that the above situation could affect the positive image of our hotel. Unfortunately, bad luck attracts same, and thus we experienced some similar situations at the same time.

Regards
Magdalena Lipiarz
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in room 306 which was on the 3rd floor. The room was large and comfortably furnished.
The bathroom was a reasonable size, with the in bath shower having ample hot water and water pressure. Towels and products provided were fine. The shower curtain was a little annoying in the narrow tub and we thought it strange that no tissues were provided.
The room looked out on to neighbouring buildings and was quiet.
We found the room a little dark, despite the 2 windows. There was a lot of lighting options but even during the day, with all the lights on, the room was still dark.
The cherry vodka provided in the room was a lovely touch.
We were very pleasantly surprised to see that there were coffee & tea making facilities in the room but we didn't end up making use of it when we opened the kettle (the kettle needed a very good clean).
A nice breakfast was included in our rate and was available in the ground floor room, with the standard central european fare.
Service at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The daily sheet on weather, transport and tours and the one page list of common words & phrases in polish including a pronunication guide were a nice touch.
The location of the hotel was great. It was a short taxi ride to the train station and a short walk across the park to the old town area. There was a supermarket around the corner and a few nice cafes and restaurants within 2 minutes walk.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Koukat
Tucson
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I have booked into Amber hotel by means of Hotels.com (=Expedia). My account was charged two months ahead a 5star price for 6 nights. I arrived in Krakow on business and tried to check in at 5:30PM. Hotel Amber was expecting me but did not honor my reservation - front desk clerk, was a smiling young lady, repeated several times like a poem exactly the same words about "water damage". I offered to look at the room but she had no key available. Since I prepaid my stay I had no choice but to accept to be shipped to a sister property the hotel WIelopole in a 2star location. I stayed in Krakow 6 nights. Two days later I had a meeting with the person claiming to be representing both hotels, another young lady whose demeanor was much less professional than that of the receptionist. The word "I am sorry" did not occur. Instead I was reproached (see my Wielopole report). I wrote to Hotels.com and was issued a 30% refund without comment and Hotels.com did not respond to my request to itemize. Before dropping this note I checked that the price difference between hotel Amber and Hotel Wielopole is 36.7% for next available date on October 11, 2011 on Hotels.com. I was severely inconvenienced as the alternate Wielopole location was far and away from my business location in Krakow and located at a quite unattractive busy street, and I was overcharged. Hereto, the rep for the hotel told me point-blank that their contract with Hotels.com allows to ship customers to another location in case of "technical difficulties". I asked if proof of such was available for my arrival and was told that none is available - specifically I was now told that English hooligans sullied the Amber hotel room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Desert_Quark
Dear Tripadvisor Users,
You are welcome to read our comment to the above opinion.
Indeed, due to some unforeseen circumstances we were forced to transfer our Guest to another hotel. In our opinion, we did it fully professionally, just the way it should have been done: we have provided transport for the guests on our cost, with night accommodation in a hotel of the same standard and in a similar location. To compensate for this situation and the inconvenience related to changing the hotel, we provided our Guests with a room in the Superior (higher) standard, instead of the Standard room booked by them.
Knowing that we could not guarantee accommodation in our hotel, and being aware that choosing us by our Guests was not merely accidental (probably on the basis of perfect recommendations and comfortable location), we felt immense stress in this situation. As we respect privacy of all the Guests of our hotel, we have decided not to disclose the details which forced us to make such a difficult decision about the transfer. Sometimes situations like this one occur and demand major commitment from us and understanding a from the Client. We believe that the above opinion is very unjust and unfair for us.
First, we would like to state that even before words of explanations were said, we had apologised to the Guest several times for the situation and we had informed him that the manager of the hotel would be glad to discuss all the circumstances of this event. However, our efforts in this respect were recognised as harassment, and the competencies of the manager were unjustly challenged.
As regards the opinion about the location of the Wielopole hotel, we would like to categorically object to the phrase used by the Guest. You are encouraged to read the opinions in which the Guests of the Wielopole hotel emphasise its perfect location which allows exploration of all historical objects of Krakow on foot (in a walking distance), and the difference in distance between the hotels and the “business location” quoted by the Guest is not even 300 metres.
We also would like to make a note about the prices of stay in other hotels, as their comparison is, in our opinion, inappropriate under these circumstances. For the sake of explanation, we would like to add that 3* hotel stay prices in Krakow range from PLN 99 to PLN 499, and the differences depend on many factors, including booking vacancies, booking dates and allotment.
We understand that the information about changing the planned place of stay, probably after a long and tiring travel, could be a reason for the Client’s dissatisfaction, yet nothing is there to justify the fact that this dissatisfaction found its vent in an attempt on our property and its destruction, as well as appropriation of the proof of our highest level of services, namely the Tripadvisor certificate, which we have not recovered until this time.
We would like to ensure that this situation was not a purposeful action or intention of the hotel. For years, we have been doing our best to obtain the best possible references, but we have no say when events of fate occur. Therefore, we have made all efforts to make this situation the least stressful for the Guest and we have tried to compensate all inconvenience to him. All this requires, however, at least the minimum willingness on part of the Client to explain the situation. We would not like this one event have influence on our long years of work and outstanding reputation. We would be very sorry to hear that the above situation could affect the positive image of our hotel. Unfortunately, such information has already appeared and we were forced to react, although it is not in our habits to dispute the Client’s opinion, as we follow the principle that the Client is always right :)

Regards