“Cheap and cheerful”

Ranked #280 of 433 Specialty Lodging in Krakow
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Perfect location - very close to the old town, shopping centre and the train station. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We booked the twin private room which was very spacious and not too expensive. Lockers in the room. Free wifi.
The place was a bit run down and the bathrooms were always filthy for our entire stay. Our room was right opposite reception which was very noisy late at night with people talking and ringing the buzzer to be let in. The beds do not have proper mattresses, just a thick mat over the wooden bed frame. This was so uncomfortable I could not believe it until I checked underneath and saw that half of the wooden bed slats were missing so I was falling through the bed! This was also the situation for my partners bed (but less severe). The hostel really need to replace the bed frames and the thin mattress mats do not help of course. There was also no heating in our room – the radiator did not turn on or off and Poland is freezing in early April! We later found out that you have to ask for the heating to be put on but this was still turned off at night so it was uncomfortably cold. The door to our room was also not very secure and we did not feel it was very safe.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
never never land
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I originally chose the Zodiakus Hostel because it was close to the train station, but besides it being close the train station its located in a nice area close to a lot of things. The lady's that work there were very very nice to me. I arrived at the hotel pretty late and a lot of the restaurants nearby were closed so the receptionist lady warmed me up some type of Polish soup. This was my first my first experience in Poland and the hospitality of the staff in this hostel made me feel like I was going to like Poland. I really enjoyed myself in Krakow and Zodiakus was a reason why I did. The rooms were pretty nice and I was comfy in the bed. If I ever go back I will stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank finn17
Woking, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Me and my group of friends were moved to the Zodiakus from the original hostel we booked and what a fantastic stroke of luck that we were! The location of the hostel is fantastic - only a 5 minute walk from the Old Market Square. The facilities were of a good standard for a hostel, with brilliant bathrooms and a nice communal area (with shisha available if that is your thing).

And that brings me to the best part of the hostel - the staff! What a brilliant bunch of people they were. They could not do anymore to help and aided us in booking trips both within Krakow and to the surrounding sites. Overall, an excellent trip made better by a fantastic hostel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Gary S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Excellent location and very friendly, helpful staff! I don't think I've ever met a group of staff that made me feel so welcome. Immediately I felt like I found a new home. Clean, nice and great atmosphere! I was a bit apprehensive from reading some of the sour reviews, but after staying here I can say that much of it were exaggerations if anything at all. As soon as I stepped into Zodiakus, I was greeted and had all my travel questions answered thoroughly. It was very helpful. The rooms, bathrooms and kitchen were clean, and above all the decor was just too nice for my short stay there. Zodiakus Hostel is conveniently located close to all the main tourist attractions, wonderful shops and restaurants. I was able to do almost everything I wanted from walking distance. If I go back to Cracow I doubt that I will be staying anywhere else. I will definitely leave another review upon my next stay. To be honest, this hostel alone has secured my next vacation to be back here in Cracow. Happy Hosteling EVERYONE!!

Room Tip: The rooms that I have seen each had their own style of coziness and flavor, so it would be hard to r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank BrianJ121
Greve in Chianti, Italy
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had a private room for 2 nights with my girlfriend, they gave us a 4 beds for the same price with private toilet too. Excellent location, close to the old town ,the royal palace/cathedral and the main train station. Staff was helpful and kind and breakfast was more than enough, what else could we ask for about 10 euros a night??

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Antonio B
Minneapolis
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Zodiakus Hostel was perfect for what we were looking for. Extremely close to the train station and Old Town. The train station was about 3 blocks away and 2 of them were across the square. Also, there is no need to cross a street since there is a pedestrian underpass complete with "toalety" & shops. From this same underpass the sidewalk takes you to the Barbican Gate and then down Florian street to the Rynek.
The staff speaks English well and are sweet and friendly and a great resource for the area.
The common bathrooms are clean and two showers are available for "shy" people who want a bit more privacy. I believe there are a few "en suite" rooms but check that out first.
After reading the other reviews I'd like to point out the obvious...this is a Hostel, and as such it's full of young people...at 50 years old I felt like their grandfather, but I enjoyed the energy of the place. Of course, one's impression of the place is dependent on the other guests present.
This is not a hotel where you can indulge yourself in life's comforts, but if you want to rough it a bit for a day or two in the best location in Krakow, rub elbows with an int'l group of youth, I say go for it and take the chance. We did, and we will be back at Zodiakus on our next trip to Krakow. Oh, and did I mention it was so inexpensive?
I live in a metropolitan area with air traffic noise....the noise at Zodiakus didn't bother me. Be advised that the trolley goes by and the rumble is noticeable...Guest quiet time starts at 11 pm. We actually slept better here than in a rural palace...with the sounds of the city lulling us to sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank jonahMinneapolis
Guimaraes, Portugal
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Very close to the Main Market Square. A 5 minute walk through the great park.
Staff very nice and helpful. The breakfast is amazing (if you're up early).
Clean. Very nice common room, with tv, films, etc...

The only "negative" thing is the slow wifi, which ends up by not being a problem since in Kraków you can find free wifi anywhere in the city.

Will come back ;)