“I didn't want to leave!”
Review of Zodiakus Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Zodiakus Hostel
Ranked #279 of 425 Specialty Lodging in Krakow
Chicago, Illinois
“I didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Excellent location and very friendly, helpful staff! I don't think I've ever met a group of staff that made me feel so welcome. Immediately I felt like I found a new home. Clean, nice and great atmosphere! I was a bit apprehensive from reading some of the sour reviews, but after staying here I can say that much of it were exaggerations if anything at all. As soon as I stepped into Zodiakus, I was greeted and had all my travel questions answered thoroughly. It was very helpful. The rooms, bathrooms and kitchen were clean, and above all the decor was just too nice for my short stay there. Zodiakus Hostel is conveniently located close to all the main tourist attractions, wonderful shops and restaurants. I was able to do almost everything I wanted from walking distance. If I go back to Cracow I doubt that I will be staying anywhere else. I will definitely leave another review upon my next stay. To be honest, this hostel alone has secured my next vacation to be back here in Cracow. Happy Hosteling EVERYONE!!

Room Tip: The rooms that I have seen each had their own style of coziness and flavor, so it would be hard to r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank BrianJ121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greve in Chianti, Italy
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had a private room for 2 nights with my girlfriend, they gave us a 4 beds for the same price with private toilet too. Excellent location, close to the old town ,the royal palace/cathedral and the main train station. Staff was helpful and kind and breakfast was more than enough, what else could we ask for about 10 euros a night??

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Antonio B
Minneapolis
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Zodiakus Hostel was perfect for what we were looking for. Extremely close to the train station and Old Town. The train station was about 3 blocks away and 2 of them were across the square. Also, there is no need to cross a street since there is a pedestrian underpass complete with "toalety" & shops. From this same underpass the sidewalk takes you to the Barbican Gate and then down Florian street to the Rynek.
The staff speaks English well and are sweet and friendly and a great resource for the area.
The common bathrooms are clean and two showers are available for "shy" people who want a bit more privacy. I believe there are a few "en suite" rooms but check that out first.
After reading the other reviews I'd like to point out the obvious...this is a Hostel, and as such it's full of young people...at 50 years old I felt like their grandfather, but I enjoyed the energy of the place. Of course, one's impression of the place is dependent on the other guests present.
This is not a hotel where you can indulge yourself in life's comforts, but if you want to rough it a bit for a day or two in the best location in Krakow, rub elbows with an int'l group of youth, I say go for it and take the chance. We did, and we will be back at Zodiakus on our next trip to Krakow. Oh, and did I mention it was so inexpensive?
I live in a metropolitan area with air traffic noise....the noise at Zodiakus didn't bother me. Be advised that the trolley goes by and the rumble is noticeable...Guest quiet time starts at 11 pm. We actually slept better here than in a rural palace...with the sounds of the city lulling us to sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank jonahMinneapolis
Guimaraes, Portugal
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Very close to the Main Market Square. A 5 minute walk through the great park.
Staff very nice and helpful. The breakfast is amazing (if you're up early).
Clean. Very nice common room, with tv, films, etc...

The only "negative" thing is the slow wifi, which ends up by not being a problem since in Kraków you can find free wifi anywhere in the city.

Will come back ;)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank J0rgeS0usa
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012 via mobile

I've thought long and hard about saying this, but this really is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. I have been hosteling in over 20 countries and the Zodiakus is abysmal in its quality as a place to stay.

Shortly after arrival two drunk men entered the hostel without being questioned and within 5 minutes they were brawling in the 'kitchen' area. The receptionist didn't call the police and allowed them to fight until they both lost interest. This place is DANGEROUS for women to visit alone.

The noise in the Zodiakus is apoplectic. A football team were staying in the hostel the night we stayed and they returned from where they had been out at 4am and made noise for two hours - shouting and cheering in the entrance area. The staff joined in - despite a quiet policy in the night hours!

The linen is dirty, the beds uncomfortable (despite the chance of you being able to sleep being nil) and the general 'sleazy' atmosphere of the hostel pervades throughout. The standing water in the bathroom was never cleared away, and all the wash areas smelled damp and were mouldy. The towels they have the gall to charge you 5 PLN for smell awful. They act as though the free wifi is a gift from the heavens, and yet it is temperamental and slow.

There is much to be said for a 'party' hostel atmosphere, but this hostel does not advertise itself as such - it aims to welcome normal travellers too - and yet provides them with a hostel experience so bad it's almost difficult to put into words.

Stayed March 2012
4 Thank PMJtraveller
Hostel P, Manager at Zodiakus Hostel, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Guest!

I am very saddened by your opinion. This review is very unfair, because we really care about our guests safety.
But occasionally something unpleasant happend. This a work with a people not with a things..

So, the nicest guest can make sometimes something incorrect and we try always calm the situation first by ourselves and in the last resort we call the police Department...

It was just a short incident between 2 friends thay drank too much polish vodka..

Hostel is cleaned very thoroughly each day! If you had any bad feeling about us you could contact our reception directly and I'm sure we could find some solution together.

best regards
Ewa Szostek

Travelers are raving about these Krakow hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Escape from this place :

- it's really cold in this place (they are not heating properly during the winter)
- the standing is generally speaking very low comparing to other hostel in the neighbourhood,
- you have to wait 10 minutes to have warm water in the bathroom,
- most of the rooms are close to the noisy street westerplatte,
- and the best of the best, is that the owner which name is Eva is horrible, antipathic, you can feel like being in the army when she talks to you (lack of respect, lies, she's even a terror for her staff).

It was a very bad experience for me, I will never do it again. You have many better hostel even cheaper than this one.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank paul p
Hostel P, Manager at Zodiakus Hostel, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Hello Paul!
Did You forgot that you stealthily entered a girl into an empty room? That you didn't want to pay for her accommodations?
Did you forgot that you changed beds and rooms as you and when you wanted?

And did you forgot that Finally, I had to remove you from the hostel because you didn't want to pay for your accommodation and you always disappear when we asked you to pay?

Your review is nothing more than revenge, is not fair and inaccurate.

best regards

Ewa Szostek
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed October 8, 2010

From the moment you enter inside this hostel, you feel the sincere atmosphere of it. Staff is amazingly helpful and fun. It is like visiting a friend to have a drink and chat, rather than having a budget accomodation for a couple of nights. I have stayed in many hostels during my trip and Zodiakus is the only one which i felt like home. Thank you! I will surely visit here next time, in their new location!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo