“perfect for what we needed.”
Review of B&B La Fontaine

B&B La Fontaine
Ranked #23 of 131 Krakow B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I booked for a group of 10 midlife guys for a stag stay over. Prior to arrival, we exchanged emails and they organised a taxi pick up from the airport (highly recommend this) and to be honest the whole experience was as smooth as could be.
The location is perfect. We had rooms 14 & 17 which overlooked the square. Room 14 had some gym equipment and a jacuzzi bath. Rooms were dated but have A/C, bathroom was fine & clean and apartment was spacious. Kitchen area had a micro, fridge, sink etc and a mini bar service.

Staff were excellent - quite young but friendly and very efficient. Had a laugh with the lads. Tip for you - leave the keys at reception when you are out as they only issue 2 sets. For late night arriver's we just rang the bell and they let us in & took us to our rooms.
Note: the rooms are up several flights of stairs - and I mean several!! easy on the way down though!!
Breakfast was good and a welcome start to the day.

Would I stay here again, with a group - yes, with my wife, possibly look at a hotel but that is not a reflection on the apartments-just would prefer a hotel room.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the square.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Let me start by saying I was in charge of bringing a group of 10 university students to these apartments. The woman who I met in December when I was scouting out hotels for the May trip was incredible and the reason I picked for the group to stay there....her customer service skills were impeccable. Unfortunately she didn't represent the others, especially the guy at night of the manager who was very standoffish. The first day we were there there were only 3 towels in each apartment. I rang the front desk but the phone was dead. So I walked down the many flights of stairs and asked if we could get towels as everyone was trying to get cleaned up after the overnight train from Prague. She said she would have them sent up. Thirty minutes later nothing. Soooo I walked back down all of those flights of stairs and asked her again. She had forgotten. So then she followed me up and then we got to our floor and she said she would be right back with them. Twenty minutes later she showed up with them. This was crazy as they knew how many people were staying in the apartments. during out visit they were doing construction on the roof which started early and ended late. It was impossible to take a nap during the day. The workers were literally thowing plywood, or something similar, down on the roof constantly whereas in the one room I was afraid they were going to crash through.

The location is incredible as the apartments are right on the square. When I looked at apartments in December there were some located across the square but not on it so you will want to confirm the location of the apartments. I looked at many of the apartments and while we didn't get apartment 17 which is what I wanted as it was the nicest, we had apartments 14 and 15. The one apartment was huge with many bedrooms. The second, albeit smaller apartment, had 3 rooms on two levels.

The upkeep of the apartments was not the best in terms of the infrasture. With the larger apartment the one room had water dripping from the ceiling so a bucket had to be placed there. The bed I had wasn't the nicest and the furnishing were very dated.

The worst scenario possible happened with the keys. We ended up getting two sets of keys for the large apartment with 5 people and 1 set for the smaller apartment with five people. Like another posting said (coincidentally one of the students wrote the review regarding keys) you need two keys just to get into the hall where the apartments are located thus needing a third key. After one night when a student was locked out and couldn't get ahold of the night manager as he didn't answer the bell I asked the hotel for more keys and they said they don't give them out because people take them! Well charge the people then but don't expect that one set of keys for 5 people to be feasible. The reply was that there was someone there 24-hrs but was not the case the night the student got locked out. They gave me one more set of keys for the smaller apartment so that each apartment then had two sets of keys. It was a MAJOR hassle as one cannot just go to the apartment and knock if someone is in there and one cannot buzz the room either to let them in either the initial door nor the second door to get to the apartment door.

Due to being part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site status, the facility is unable to make changes without going through a major process and even then it may not be feasible....this is one of the reasons that you will need to climb many flights of stares as an elevator cannot be put into the building.

The breakfast was great as well as the Wifi.

The bottom line is that I chose this property due to the customer service and incredibly helpfulness of the person showing me the apartments in December. It is too bad that the rest of the staff didn't have the same approach to customer service as she did. Would I take a group back to these apartments? Probably not.

Room Tip: They have many apartments I looked at but only stayed in two of them. The best one I looked at was a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed at the La Fontaine for 4 days and 3 nights in one of their apartments. The apartment I stayed in was laid out strange I thought. There was a room with a toilet and a sink and another room with a tub and a sink. Neither room had locks on them which was inconvenient because there were five people staying there, four of the five were using the two rooms. The tub had a shower head attachment but it was very hard to try to shower because the holder was too low on the wall. The water also fluctuated from scalding hot to freezing cold quite frequently. There were some precarious stairs leading to the upstairs and only a motion sensor light which didn't come on until you were halfway up or down the stairs.

We also had a problem with the keys. There were five of us staying in the apartment and we had to do a lot of complaining and one of us had to get locked out at night for them to even give us a second set of keys. The keys were such an important necessity because there were two locked doors before the actual door that each person had to have a key to to get through. Then there was the stairs leading up to the room. There were so many stairs. This place is not handicap accessible at all.

There were some lovely things about this place though. The first was it's location. It is located right off the main town square which made it convenient and close to everything. Also they serve a fantastic continental breakfast that is included with the room. The breakfast was great and always something I looked forward to. The staff was also very nice for the most part. With the keys, it wasn't that they weren't nice, the place was just not equipped with enough keys for the rooms. Overall I would recommend this place but it is best to know what you are getting yourself into before hand.

Room Tip: See if you can look at the room before you book it. Try to get one with windows that are not in the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hannah_Barnhart
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Stayed here as a couple in January, just before the big freeze (both here and in Krakow- it was -15 the morning we left). We had a good, big 2 bed apartment with 2 separate bedrooms and living/kitchen area which was a bonus as only expecting a room. Apartment clean, warm and quiet. Good breakfast in the morning which you could eat any time from 7.30 till 12. Staff helpful and it was a great location with everything in walking distance. As previous reviews state, it is a big old building and it seems to have other uses as well as the apartments. Downside to this was that some residents smoked on the stairs by the window and the smell appeared to go right to the top of the building and permeate our room, which as non smokers was not pleasant.This however was the only downside and would recommend this accomodation and Krakow itself.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chatty-7
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here, and especially the location of the hotel and the good breakfast. The staff was nice and tried to help us each time we asked for something (not always successfully -> no internet in our room during our stay).
The room was clean, quite big, or should I say long, and under the roof, which wasn't a problem for us, but it was definitely "unusual". It's on the third floor, no elevator of course, but they offered us to carry the luggage.
We asked for a quiet room and it was indeed, although it doesn't seem to be the case for all of them.

Room Tip: Rooms in La Fontaine II seem to be a bit bigger, but less quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I had read bad and good revies, but thought it was normal a certain number of people disagreed with this place, and took my chances...BIG MISTAKE. We had booked 3 nights in this B&B. We arrived around 1:00 pm, and got our bedroom...when the receptionist took us to it, she wanted to show us the several little booklets they leave in the bedroom, for you to know the code for the WIFI and the # to call the reception, but surprisingly they were not there...her reaction was to say "someone must had gotten it" which we found weird, because if the bedroom is suppose to be clean and "just done" how was "someone going to take them". After being 10 minutes in the room I realized the sheets were dirty, and even thought the bed was done it didnt look fresh, meaning it looked done but as if someone had already sat or had a nap on it...I continued looking around and I found the entrance of the bedroom, which is just infront of the bathroom...FULL OF BLOND HAIR...the bedroom HAD NOT BEEN CLEANED!!!
I let the receptionist know about it, and she very kindly offered us send someone to clean it, mean while we enjoyed of our day in Krakow.
When we get back around 9 pm, going up the 4 floors (because there is no elevator) we ran realize that half of the stairs dont have light, which was annoying but once we get to the bedroom we realize that NOTHING had been done. Therefor we try to call the reception but the phone DOES NOT work. Once we get to the reception, they let us know nobody can clean it, because the cleaning lady is gone...and they dont have the cleaning items because the cleaning lady takes them!!! UNBELIEVABLE!
They tried to offer us another "better bedroom" but they were apartments with 2 bedrooms...why woudl we want that...when we are 2 and just wanted a cosy practical room. We were practically obligated to go out look for a better place...which meant that we spent our first night walking around Krakow looking for a place to spend the night...how annoying. To finish this terrible experience, when we cancelled my boyfriend asked the owner to write him a letter where she explains there wont be charges charged to his credit card, since they had all the info to be able do to so..and she literally got PISSED OFF!!! DONT STAY IN THIS PLACE...its suppose to be French, and it has NOTHING of French, and there are better places for a cheaper price.

Room Tip: There are hostels that offer private rooms with private bathroom that are practically like hotels. B...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adna G
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We had an apartment for 4 friends - one couple and two singles. The apartment was spacious and we were able to check-in early (9am) on arrival in Krakow. The hotel is literally on the main square in the old city, 2 minutes from where all the city walking tours start. The girl at reception was extremely helpful and gave us all the maps and info etc. that we needed! It's in a really large old building, but the interiors are fine (very simple and adequate).
GREAT value for money!

Room Tip: Apartments are very good - great value for money
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends