“lovely quiet hotel”

Ostoya Palace Hotel
Ranked #130 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed February 24, 2012

have just returned from a 3 night break at the ostoya palace,arranged as a surprise by my girlfriend liz,what can i say the hotel was lovely and clean and quiet although granted it is february,rooms were spacious we were on the second floor and our room had two large velux windows as opposed to verticals,but still plenty of light,we ate in the hotel on one evening in the pub that is on the ground floor of the hotel,the food was very nice and very reasonably priced.the breakfast consisted of cold meats cheese eggs fruit cereals,and also hot scrambled eggs/omelettes and bacon made to order,the hotel is only 10 mins walk from the old square for the nightlife,and 15 mins walk from the lovely wawel castle,all in all a great little hotel,and wonderful value would certainly return and recommend

2  Thank STEVE-LEEDS1
There are newer reviews for Ostoya Palace Hotel

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Hotel quite near town centre but walk seemed longer because of heavy snow. Staff very helpful and friendly. Rooms and decor a little old-fashioned but room of good size and shower excellent. Breakfasts weretraditional continental buffet although staff were at pains to let us know hot food was available should we wish. The pub downstairs "Kuranty" was welcoming with Warka beer and a pretty full menu. Cracow is such a lively and varied place that we didn't use the hotel restaurant/pub apart from for drinks. The weather wasn't kind apart from a winter-wonderland impression but I would certainly reccommend this hotel to friends and know that the 10 minute walk in the snow would be a 5 minute walk in Summer. Great value and hope to visit the "Ostoya" again.

1  Thank Jamesgarret
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Just back from a three night stay at the Ostoya Palace, Krakow - Easyjet city break. Lovely older property, warm and comfortable, super bathroom and excellent staff. I needed to ask for more pillows for the bed but that was no problem. Very handy for the city centre - 10 mins walk, or get number 15 tram from main railway station (Dworzec Glowny). Can't comment on the food as we ate out - mostly Klimaty Restaurant on Sw. Gertrudy, right next to the tram stop. Will certainly be back to Krakow and Ostoya Palace again. I advise visitors to bring cash to Krakow and exchange there as you get a better rate. Change only enough at the airport to get you into the city (10 zloty on the train) as the Kantor (currency exchange) do a better rate. I got 4.98 zloty to the £ at Zlota Rosa & Sabat, Florianska 6 - no commission.

2  Thank Richd54
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Booked a short break with Cities Direct and we were booked into Ostoya Palace. The location was excellent, just a short walk to the main square. Staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good with a choice of hot and cold food. We ate in the pub in the evening as it was so cold outside and we enjoyed tasty food very reasonably priced. Our room on the first floor was large and clean, with everything we needed. Would definitely stay here again and have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ScotlandFern
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I chose this hotel on my trip to Krakow in November 2011, because it was the choice of an old skool Polish hotel or an ultra-modern monolith nearby. I decided I wanted the Polish experience, so chose the lovely old Ostoya Palace, located just a ten minute walk from the old town square.

I think I pretty much got what I expected & paid-for - the room was not ultra modern in terms of it's fittings, but then I wanted to see old-style woodstained furniture, and stay in a hotel that was around long before I was born, and will most likely outsurvive me. The room was quite a decent size, without being massive, and above the size of most European hotels you will stay in for the price range in question. The bathrooms were very clean, and the water was hot. I had a very steady wifi connection for the whole time I was in the hotel. The TV wasn't exactly a hi-def model, but then I watched zero TV for the four days I was in Krakow in my room, so that made zero difference.

The breakfast is a buffet, of which I am generally not a fan of, but I didn't learn until day two that I could have a choice of eggs cooked for me, I think because on the first day no one seemed to be around to ask, and I just had the cereal because I had an early morning drive out to the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp. The following day, I had even further to go in terms of travels (Gross Rosen camp, around 3 hours drive), but I hung around for scrambled eggs as I knew my day was not going to give me a great deal of variety in terms of food.

The bar downstairs is quiet, and doesn't seem to get a lot of passing business, but it's quaint, and a good spot to have a drink after a day's touring.

The staff were all very nice, and spoke very good English - my luggage was very heavy prior to reaching Ghana a few days later, and the concierge lifted my bag and put it in the taxi (heaving all the way !).

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the park across the road, which was noise-free & gave me a great view...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank PietroMorrizio
Reviewed February 1, 2012

This hotel was very warm and welcoming, they did everything to make our stay as comfortable as possible. We had a fab family room on the top floor with a lovely bathroom. Although the Palace was under renovations we rarely felt it and the staff were very happy to organise numerous trips at a very reasonable price. We totally enjoyed our stay and would recommend this Palace to anyone. The Delaney Family.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We have just come back today (01/02/12) from a 3nts stay booked via Cities Direct and would stay here again, as well as recommending it. It was -16 this morning, so if you are going imminently, take lots of warm clothes! We took the 292 bus outside the Airport (just to the right) at 3.20 Zl each. A 25 min ride, getting off outside the Cracovia Stadium. Carry on the same side of the road, crossing once, and 5 mins to the hotel. The receptionist kindly allowed us to check-in early, as it was so cold outside. The room on the second floor had a slopping roof with skylights and the bed was rather firm, but it was clean and comfortable, with TV, kettle & hairdryer. Breakfast was 7-10am. Help yourself to tea/coffee, juices, cereals, bread/toast, cake/biscuits, cold meats/cheeses. Cooked food is made to order if requested. There is a very reasonably priced bar/restaurant in the basement of the hotel - Kuranty Bar. This is very handy when the weather outside is -25 and saves going into town to find somewhere for dinner. There is a wide choice of food on the menu. The hotel is about 10mins walk to the main square, so a very convenient location. The National Museum is 5 mins walk in the opposite direction. There are several tourist information offices in the town, but each one seems to represent a different tour operator, therefore we booked our excursions through the hotel, as the prices seemed pretty much the same. We did the Auschwich tour and the Salt Mine tour and were picked up & dropped off right outside the hotel. We particularly recommend the salt mine tour, which is amazing with some beautiful sights. But there are approx 500 steps down, with 348 in one go, so be prepared. There is a lift up though! We really enjoyed our break and this was enhanced by the choice of hotel and the friendly, efficient, helpful staff. The only sight downside was the firmness of the bed and the duvet/bedspread which don't quite cover it! If you haven't booked yet, the hotel was offering a special rate of 50 Euros per room per night incl breakfast until 31 March if you quote booking ref 'Winter'.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple