“booked over the internet but didn't stay”
Review of Hostel Abel

Hostel Abel
Ranked #119 of 419 Specialty Lodging in Krakow
Norwich
“booked over the internet but didn't stay”
Reviewed January 17, 2007

We booked the Abel over the internet having looked at their website, read their descriptions and seen their photos and were very impressed. So much for so little we thought.....

However the room we were given was very small. It had one vinyl chair of the type sometimes found in doctors waiting rooms, the bottom sheet on the bed was too short to cover the matress and the walls were painted the colour of butterscotch angel delight; if anyone can remember what that was like.

We simply couldnt stay there. The room was just too depressing. If you can get over first impressions the staff may be very nice but we just couldn't stay to find out. Hopefully it has since been given a facelift.

We ended up round the corner at the Alef which cost a bit more but it was worth every penny.

Stayed December 2005
2 Thank elaine_norwich
Dear Guest,
I kindly inform you that Hostel Abel has changed ownership and was renovated in 2013.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed November 14, 2006

Hotel Abel is a lovely old building with character. The ensuite rooms are fine - large and clean and nicely decorated. If you like the bland, modern, concrete style of hotel, this may not be for you.

The staff are very welcoming and I enjoyed staying here for my 3 nights. The price is good too. We paid £42 per room/night.

Breakfast is OK; consisting of bread, cheese and cold meat, cereals, yoghourt and coffee. There is no restaurant.

It is in a good location: in the Jewish quarter (Kazimierz), just South of the Wawel. It is not too far to walk to the centre. Kazimierz is a good place to stay and will probably be cheaper or better than staying in the centre of the city.

For a tasty meal, Cafe Ariel nearby does good food with friendly staff - look for the minora (Jewish candlestick) above the door. Ariel is located in a pretty square 2 blocks away - come out of the
hotel and turn left.

A taxi from the airport cost us about 75 Zloty

• Liked — Good location, nice building. Friendly, helpful staff
  • Disliked — It was noisy at night - there is a bar over the road
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank Simon_Whelan
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed August 19, 2006

When you walk in, try not to get too depressed. Yes, it may be bland, and the walls of stone-grey may seem to be pressing in on you, but you must not give up on it yet. The staff is lovely, and your problems become theirs as soon as you bring them up. Rooms are cute, spacious, and overall comfortable. But the two quarter-sized spider bites that I received my first night there still haven't stopped swelling.. and that was two weeks ago.

Stayed August 2006
6 Thank LAG523
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2006

The Hotel Abel was warm and inviting from the moment we arrived. Nothing was a hassle at all, and when we needed to find a 24 hour pharmacy the receptionnist gave me a map and told me in English exactly where there was one open on a Sunday. The staff at breakfast also complimented me on my Polish(which was very very basic) but it was lovely to hear that they liked me making an effort.

We had booked a double, but ended up with a triple, so put two single beds together to form a double. The beds were not comfortable, but we only used them for sleeping at night since most of the time we were out exploring Krakow. There was no air conditioning, and a previous reviewer pointed out how it was noisy due to the bars and restaurants. This is true, but we felt it added to the very alive feel of Kazimierz.

The bathroom was a bit small, and the shower head was not attached but we found it was more than adequate for our needs!

We loved the area of Kazimierz, and would recommend others to stay here rather than in the old town because we felt it had a bit more of a local feel to it than in the Old Town.

• Liked — The atmosphere, it felt a bit like staying in someone's home.
  • Disliked — The comfort of the beds!
  • Tips/Secrets — The bar with the Tyskie sign just down the road from the Abel does great beer and crepes, and is full of local couples.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank JHCumming
London
Reviewed December 21, 2005

My husband and I thought the Hotel Abel was absolutely charming! It is in such a lovely part of Kazimierz with many great bars and restaurants in the vicinity, particularly just around the corner in the little square (Pepe Russo restaurant across the road is worth checking out). And it is only a 15 minute walk the the old town from the hotel.
The hotel itself is quite new and very charming, with a gorgeous dark staircase running through the middle and decoration very fitting the Jewish Quarter. The rooms are pretty basic but about what you expect for this price range hotel. It was very clean, and the bathroom very tidy, we did have to put the beds together to make a double though. There was some building work next door while we were there, it woke me up but did not bother my husband at all! The breakfast was simple but sufficient. The staff were happy and helpful, booking restaurants, taxis etc. Great value at 180zloty per night. All in all, we would go back.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank Kiwi Zara
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 20, 2005

Hotel Abel is in on a nice street in the Kazimierz part of Krakow, 10 min walk from Wawel Castle and 20 min from the main square. The room was very clean. However, at night especailly after bars/restaurants close it can be quite loud (no air-con so you need to keep windows open in the summer). Amenities are basic: two typical Polish single beds (put together to make a double), tiny bathroom (you really need to be thin and do some gymnastics to fit in there), no decoration of any kind, and lots of cigarette smoke in the stairwell due to poor ventilation. Breakfast is also nothing to write home about -- bread, cold cuts, tea/coffee, etc. typical Polish continental breakfast. The price was very high for this basic accomodation: 230 zloty (70 Euros). There is also some construction next door at this time so you won't be able to sleep in.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 25, 2005

My friend and I wanted to stay in Kazimierz for part of our time in Krakow, so after attempting to book rooms at several hotels that were full, we ended up booking a room at the Hotel Abel. What a stroke of luck! The Hotel Abel is absolutely beautiful, from the reception to the breakfast area to the guest room. Add a warm, incredibly helpful staff (who went above and beyond by setting up breakfast an hour early for us on the day of our deaprture) and it adds up to a wonderful experience. And that doesn't even take into account the location - Kazimierz had a warm, artsy feel to it that was very welcoming; we were very pleased with our decision to experience this area of Krakow. The Hotel Abel is a within a quick walk of many sights (Isaac's Synagogue (Synagoga Izaaka) is only 1 block away) as well as excellent restuarants and bars. Wawel and the Old Town are further, but still within walking distance.

13 Thank pkitty