“Fantastic hotel, perfect location and great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wielopole Hotel

Wielopole Hotel
Ranked #12 of 256 Hotels in Krakow
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, perfect location and great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

This was my first time in Krakow and indeed Poland and when (not if!) I return, I'll definitely be returning to the Wielopole hotel. The location is fantastic, just a 5 min walk into the main square full of cafes, restaurants, bars and shops and always bustling so you always feel safe. 15 mins in the other direction is the Jewish quarters though we didn't spend much time here. The hotel itself is great, for a 3 star it feels a lot nicer. Rooms are clean, well stocked and the reception staff were more than helpful and spoke English well. The food was also great - the restaurant where breakfast is also served is in the basement of the hotel and was perfect for a first night. The menu is extensive and is available as room service also. Breakfast was a buffet and very well stocked full of cold meats, cheeses, rolls, salads, etc but if you're after hot food you'll have to make do with just eggs and hot-dog sausages! We arranged a trip to Auschwitz through the hotel and also had a packed lunch for the day. Rooms were quite hot but air con is in the rooms - it's a little noisy but not overly. Can't have the windows open as it's obviously a city-centre hotel and the traffic and sirens are loud. Overall, as a hotel, I couldn't have asked for more.

Room Tip: Even for a twin room, it was nicer to pay just a little more to upgrade for some more room. Extra to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights at the hotel in May. The hotel is located ideally just outside the city centre requiring only a 10 minute walk to the market square (Rynek Główny) and 15 mins to the centre of the Jewish district (Kazimierz). A tram stop is 1 minute walk away, and a bank with cash machine a few doors down the street.

Prior to arriving I asked for a quite room, and was given a room on the 5th floor. The reception area is clean and functional with a small seating area and lift to all floors. There is a restaurant in the basement which also doubles as breakfast room.

Our room was very well decorated with plenty of dark wood furniture. The room was clean, if not a little small. The windows are double glazed but will open fully or partially. The bathroom is very modern and attractive.

Breakfast was typically continental, so may not suit somebody who cannot live without their daily fix of bacon and eggs. There was plenty of choice of salads, meats and cheeses plus bread and tea/coffee.

However, the housekeeping policy lets the hotel down. Water, tea, coffee, shampoo and soap are not replenished after the first night. I asked reception about this and was told that this is the policy. I was not offered any replacements at the time. I completed a feedback request form pointing out that if 5 different people had occupied the room for one night each, then all these items would have to be replenished each night, so a longer stay customer was being disadvantaged. The hotel did not acknowledge my feedback which was for me far worse than the problem in the first place, and very poor customer service. Also the bedding was not changed in 5 nights. This wasn't a big issue, but I would have thought the bedding would have been changed once in this time.

I considered only giving an 'average' rating for this, but the hotel itself was very nice and poor customer service may not be so important to other people.

Room Tip: There is currently a significant restoration project to an old building across the road (May 2012) a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PeterLanky
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

This hotel is small but service is really great and great location.
The rooms were clean and comfortable.
I was lucky enough to get engaged on our trip to Krakow and my fiancee arranged with reception to have flowers in the room on our return.
They not only did this but also provided a beautiful crystal decanter with Polish Cherry Vodka compliemtary and heart pillows, which was a lovely touch although the vodka blew my head off!
Would definately return , the hotel was great and Krakow is a beautiful city loved every second!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

We were a group of 12 people (family and friends) who stayed at Hotel Wielopole for a weekend break (3 nights) to celebrate my 60th birthday. We were made very welcome when we arrived - all the staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful. I had upgraded all 6 rooms to superior rooms which are larger than the standard rooms and was given the best room as it was my birthday. The rooms are not huge but were very quiet and the beds are very comfortable. The rooms have good sized modern en-suite bathrooms, hair dryers and a free safe. The buffet breakfast was plentiful with a good choice of cold dishes and bread but limited choice of hot dishes - eggs and sausages.

When I arrived back in my room on the day of my birthday the hotel had put a nice note in my room and a small decanter with a couple of glasses of cherry vodka - a lovely thought.

The location of this hotel is excellent being only five minutes walk from the main square. It is also an easy walk (around 15 mins) to Wawel Hill.

The hotel arranged our trips to Auschwitz and the Salt Mines for us and also arranged our transport from and to the airport (two minibuses - 6 in each).

As there were 12 of us, I pre-booked the restaurants for our evening meals prior to coming to Krakow. These were chosen from the reviews on trip advisor and we weren't disappointed. I can recommend all three - Miod Malina (ten minutes walk from the hotel), Starka (20 minutes walk from the hotel in Old Town) and Klimaty Poludnia (5 minutes walk from the hotel in a quiet courtyard just off the main street). The favourite by the group as a whole was Starka but the food and service was excellent at all three restaurants.

There was nothing I didn't like about the hotel but I have a couple of little comments which may be useful. Firstly, it is nice to have the welcome pack of tea/coffee in the room for the first morning but it would be good to have some of the little cartons of milk as well. Also, it would be great to have these replenished each day rather than just a welcome pack. The coffee at breakfast could do with being hotter - sometimes it was just luke warm and the lunch we had on arrival on day one was lovely but could have been hotter too - we had to send back a couple of meals back to be heated up.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Krakow.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 04 had nice views looking out towards the Holiday Inn across the road.
Marton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Stayed here for four nights Monday to Friday. The hotel is clean and gives you a nice help yourself breakfast which had a good choice of food. The staff are absolutely brilliant especially the reception staff who will do anything for you. The hotel is situated in an ideal spot for the centre square and you can walk to most places easily. Krakow is a lovely City and unbelieveably cheap. Would recommend this Hotel to any one thinking of going to Kracow and I would certainly use it again.

EDINBURGH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

This is a perfection location for visiting the main attractions in Krakow, very central and only 5 - 10 mins walk from the Main Square, Rynek Glowny, which is beautiful. Loads of shops and bars all round the square, with the same down all the side streets off the square too. Shoppers and foody paradise. You are also very near Wawel Castle and the river and there are plenty of local trams stop 2 mins from the Hotel that will take you to the the Jewish quarter or the big Shopping Centre etc, however taxis are also very reasonable at approx 9 Pln (approx £2.00) for a taxi. Our hotel was happy to book trips to the Salt Mines and Auschwitz if required, however, we also used a private taxi for this and again was a very reasonable price. The people in general are extremely polite and friendly. The hotel was clean and although our room was not huge it was adequate. Very comfy beds (best I have had in a hotel in a long time) and our bathroom was very spacious with plenty of hot water and nice little complimentary shampoos and soap. Good hairdryer in the room also and the use of a safe which was free. Also tea and coffee facilites and a flatscreen tv, although not many english speaking channels. However, we didn't go to watch tv so no problem there. My only gripe really was the dining room seemed to be a bit disorganised, we had to send back soup and one of our main courses the only night we stayed in the hotel for our dinner as the food was cold. The breakfast is plentiful but again I was not impressed with the cooked offerings. The cold food like cheese, ham, jams and breads and rolls was fine. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a visit to Krakow.

1 Thank lynnew9
Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

Myself and a small party of teacher colleagues stayed at the Hotel Wielopole for three nights at the beginning of April.
The hotel is in an excellent location, just a few minutes’ walk to the Krakow’s main square and about 10 minutes to the Jewish area of Kazimierz.
The rooms are small but perfectly adequate for a short city-break.
They were spotlessly clean and the beds comfortable.
The rooms also included a safe and coffee/tea making facilities, although coffee/tea was not replenished every day. Ask at reception if you want more.
There was no milk for the coffee/tea, but there’s a very good supermarket 2 minutes walk away.
Breakfast was a typical continental style with a good selection of cereals, meats and cheeses.
The cellar breakfast room doubles up for the evening bar, but this closes quite early.
The main plus of the hotel are the staff.
From the outset nothing was too much trouble for them.
I e-mailed them several times prior to our group visit.
They organised the airport taxi transfers for me, our trip to Auschwitz-Birkenau, and also a last minute visit to the salt mines for four of our group.
An enjoyable three day stay.
We would certainly book the Hotel Wielopole again.

Room Tip: Front rooms can be a bit noisy at times (facing street)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends