“good location”
Review of Hotel Jan

Hotel Jan
Ranked #32 of 262 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed April 8, 2008

The hotel has an excellent location, breakfast a bit basic and the times a bit restrictive. The hotel is a bit gloomy and the staff not particularly friendly. It offers budget accomodation, rooms comfortable and good location.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ec1966

Reviewed November 17, 2007

So disappointed with Hotel Jan - it had looked promising with a central location in the Old Town and a friendly receptionist who spoke English. We had gone to Krakow to celebrate my birthday for a short break of two nights and quickly moved on after one night's stay at Hotel Jan.
The room itself was basic though this was expected, the wall heating did not work though an electric radiator had been provided so we did not mind. However no hot water in the bathroom taps, the woman we believed to be the owner (can't believe anyone would have this woman as an employee) was plain nasty. She stormed into our room (as reception had said someone would come up to sort out the problem) and started shouting at us in Polish. I apologetically tried to say that we did not speak Polish and called reception and explained the situation again - after several 3 way conversations, the woman shouted at us some more and stormed off. It was a very unpleasant atmosphere and not somewhere nice to wake up on your birthday. At breakfast - a tired buffet - with no staff around - we got there at 8.25 (breakfast was 7-9, note for those wanting a leisurely break many other hotel breakfasts are 7-11) and nutty woman turned up at 9am - bravely (!), I asked if I could have some water but this was too much to ask for - total lack of customer service - I think the woman just hates guests and is in the wrong job. Anyway with that start to my birthday we decided we would get somewhere else to stay and found another hotel, better old town location - a four star this time though only £20 more in price and an absolute world of difference. Would advise avoidance of Hotel Jan at all costs - it requires new ownership/management.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rose74
Reviewed October 27, 2007

We were very disappointed in the hotel which Rick Steves recommended in his book. While the location is superb, - just off the main square - the rooms was ridiculously small. The shower leaked. The TV satellite connection was broken so only Polish channels were available. The posted breakfast hours kept changing. The sheets were clean but stained.

On the plus side, the beds were comfortable and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2007

My husband and I booked via the tourist office for 4 nights last week.
On arrival we were pleased with the good location and friendliness of the girl on reception.
Our room (number 1) was at the back of the hotel on the ground floor, the only daylight was through a plastic sheeting roof which covered about a half of the ceiling. The en-suite was small as was the shower tray.
I took a shower before going out for the evening and because of the lever control being low down as I turned around in the shower I touched the control which went to maximum hot and the water temperature was in excess of 90 degrees with the result I was scolded down my front. We reported this to the man who was now on reception and the owner came to check the shower.
She was unconcerned about the excessive temperature and seemed to think we should have been more careful. What if a child had showered in this cubicle !
That night it rained heavily all night with the result of the drumming noise on the plastic roof we were kept awake all night
and had water running down the inside wall from the leaking roof.
Next morning after a very inadequate breakfast we checked out having been first refused any reduction in the price and eventually given 25% off. We were not impressed with the attitude of the mangement.
The tourist office then found us another hotel a few minutes walk away, a similar price and far superior.
We have now returned home and waiting to see if I the scolding results in permanent scarring before taking the matter further.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank eddie1_7
Reviewed April 30, 2007

14 lads on a stag weekend, stayed here for 2 nights. I stayed in a single room which was spacious, spotless and very comfortable. Personally I couldnt fault the hotel although some of the group complained that their room wasnt near as nice as the one I got. Perfect location wise as the main square is a 30 second walk.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kieran27
Reviewed March 29, 2007

My two brothers and I stayed in a triple there in mid-March for 3 nights. It was fantastic! The hotel is literally right off the main square, the room was huge and everything worked fine except for the shower which had a bit of a flooding problem but it wasn't that bad. The location and price was by far the best thing about the place. The breakfast was good and in a really quaint little cellar room. The staff was helpful when we booked the Salt Mines tour (which I wouldn't recommend - very strange and boring for the most part) and whatever we needed they were always there to help.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank IrishfFan
Reviewed January 28, 2007

I dont think ive ever stayed in a hotel so appalling in my life....it was dirty....stunk of cigarettes, had the oldest and dampest sheepskin inthe bathroom. Took ages to get hot water....and when we finally complained to hotel 'concierge' we were laughed at...and he told us everyone complains and the owners dont care about the complaints they are only interesterd in the money!!!!

so be warned!!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank scottmacster