“Sincerely recommended”
Review of Senacki Hotel

Senacki Hotel
Ranked #10 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Everything about Senacki was just perfect. The hotel is placed in the very heart of the old town with all local tourist sites in walking distance.

The staff was very helpful and sweet and helped us with all our questions and tour bookings.

The rooms are tidy, clean and fresh with very comfortable beds.

Since one of us had a birthday during our stay, the staff surprised us by delivering a small birthday cake to our room! That was extremely appreciated.

In short, we cannot recommend the Senacki Hotel enough.

1  Thank Daniel J
OstiHotele, Front Office Supervisor at Senacki Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Daniel J,

We greatly appreciate your kind words and review. It is our wish to provide you with the best service possible so that you can have the best experience possible. We will be sure to share your sentiments with our team members.

Again, thank you for sharing your sentiments with us. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

There are newer reviews for Senacki Hotel

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My intention to visit Krakow was to feel magical atmosphere of Christmas in Poland. I chose this hotel mostly by its location and based on reviews I read on TripAdvisor and some other sites. The hotel is perfectly located indeed: it is neither on the main square nor far from the old town. I’ll tell about the hotel’s location and tourist attractions a bit later. Another moment what contributed to choosing this place was a special very attractive offer which the hotel had for Christmas days.

So I arrived to this hotel from airport shortly after midnight. It cost me 69 Polish zlotys to get from Krakow airport to this hotel by taxi.
After usual formalities with documents I got a key for a single room on the third floor. Then I rode modern lift to climb to my floor.

The front door of my room was wide, made from good quality wood and locked with ordinary cylinder lock. Honestly I was a bit surprised as I expected it to be operated with hotel key cards. But under certain circumstances it could add charming entourage to the place. If carrying this key in your pocket is not convenient, you could leave the key on the reception every time you leave the room. But it is still up to you. One more comment: unfortunately the door was not protected with latch or door chain from inside. It did not have door eye either. Normally I’d love having these features to feel safe in a room. On the other hand the hotel was very calm and peaceful so that I didn't even worry about my safety.

The room I was given looked not very big, but I was staying alone and I had all required space to have rest comfortably in the hotel. A bed was not big either and was able to hold only one person, but again I was alone and such bed was sufficient. Two pillows of good quality were lying on the bed but I used only one of them since it was sufficient for me.

When I entered my room for the first time I felt that it was quite chilly but then I managed to adjust temperature of hot-water radiators below the window and in the bathroom and eventually the temperature in the room rose to acceptable level.

One more element of the room’s décor which I had not seen in other hotels before: animal skin rug by the bed that gave extra warmth and coziness.

In addition my room had standard set of furniture like an arm-chair, chair, desk and bedside table with drawers. The room was also equipped mini-bar fridge and a standard fairly roomy safe box with electric keypad hidden inside wardrobe.

I was delighted to locate tea bags, a kettle and a complementary small bottle of sparkling mineral water on a table in the room. You know after long trips I feel dehydrated and body needs water or preferably tea. To my pity I had only two complimentary tea bags. As I’m keen on tea I’d prefer if the hotel provided me with more tea bags. Although every day two new tea bags were added. Still a good thing was that the room was equipped with normal electric kettle and teacups, not a coffee making machine.

Other things I loved in this hotel were toiletries. Shower gel, shampoo and soap were easily foamed, mildly covered hands and body and had pleasant scent. Surprisingly I was not able to open screw cap of one small shampoo bottle. That’s why I had to ask hotel personnel for replacement which they willingly did immediately. Well done.

There was something what added some inconvenience for me in the bathroom. It was a blockage in the washbasin drain. It was not actually a blockage but rather a malfunctioning rod-operated pop up plug which did not have enough movement to open fully and therefore did not drain water sufficiently fast.

I’d like to say a few words about telly in the room. It was programmed to many TV channels, most of which were in Polish with movies, TV shows and music. Besides I found a few channels in English, German and Italian. I was very fortunate to watch genuine Christmas carols and other preparation for Christmas Eve on TV.
The TV set itself had flat screen and looked rather new but it was hanging quite high on the wall, facing the wardrobe, and its position could not be adjusted. That’s why lying on the bed I had to watch the TV not from front side but from low left angle of the screen though it still could be viewed without distortion.

Internet in the hotel was quite fast, suitable for making audio and video calls. Additional advantage – it was included in my rate. So do not forget to ask for password on reception. But most likely the receptionist will remind you if you need Wi-Fi access anyway.

The room did not have iron, probably it existed somewhere in the hotel but not in my room. But airline lost my luggage on a way to Krakow, so I had very few things at all and nothing for ironing in particular. So, again it was not a problem for me. What I really missed was small branded notepad which is usually provided in hotels of such level. At the same time ballpoint pen in the drawer was very decent.

Staircase was covered with nice soft carpets with lettering in Polish, everything was very clean. I enjoyed stepping on that carpet so much that I usually preferred going up and down stairs instead of using lift.
But even if you prefer using lift, it is located quite conveniently not far from rooms. Yet it operated silently and did not disturb calmness of the place.

Breakfast was almost excellent, so let me describe it in details. It is served on basement floor. I tasted hot sausages, boiled eggs and was able to make sandwiches with ham or cheese. There were several types of cheese, butter and margarine for sandwiches, all was fairly eatable. You can order scrambled or fried eggs for your choice. Yogurts were noticed as well but I did not have chance to try them. Vast section of tea in bags made be nearly the happiest man. Needless to say they also had coffee in vacuum flasks but I did not sip it that time. Unfortunately they had neither cottage cheese nor hot porridge. Otherwise I would be absolutely contented. Instead, there were corn flakes which could be prepared with milk. But in my view cereal in milk is not a good alternative for real hot porridge.
Additionally I observed slices of fresh fruits and vegetables. Muffins and croissants made pleasant completion of breakfast. For instance, croissants and tea with lemon was a choice of mine.

As I previously wrote I came to Krakow for Christmas holidays. Fortunately my reservation included special Christmas dinner. The menu and reservation for table were negotiated in advance in email. The event itself took place in Café Oranżeria in a building of affiliated Hotel Kossak.
That dinner gave me unique chance to feel deeply Polish tradition of feasting Wigilia. I witnessed families were greeting and celebrating each other, exchanging gifts and pieces of Christmas wafers. And of course the meal was fantastic. I had never tasted so delicious carp fried with onions and mushrooms before.
Going further I’d like to remark customer orientation of receptionists who recommended places to visit and gave me guidance to get there. I mentioned that airline lost my luggage and I had to recover lost belongings. If you happen to find yourself in the same situation I’d recommend visiting Galeria Krakowska shopping mall. It took about 20 minute of walking to get there. All shops under one roof, in other words I can recommend this center for shopping popular brands and having tea with desserts in several cafés like Starbucks.

The Grodzka street where the hotel is situated was full of small shops and cafés also. But I was in Krakow on Christmas holidays meaning that everything was closed and virtually deserted. I hope you will be luckier than me and be able to pay visits to all these places when they are open.

In my case I was looking for a place to dine on the Old Town Square where some cafés and restaurants were open even on Christmas holidays.

Returning to the surroundings of the hotel, I cannot imagine the location could be chosen better. Again, the hotel is not on the Main Square but only about 7 minutes of walk from it.
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul is right opposite of the hotel. Therefore it would be wise to ask for a room with a view to that side. Church of St. Andrew is only a few meters farther, I highly recommend visiting it as well.
These two churches face a small Maria Magdalena square between Grodzka and Kanonicza streets. Kanonicza street is considered as a remarkable place of interest itself. Moreover it will lead you to Royal Castle on the Wawel Hill, which is only about 10 minutes of walking distance.

I’m not going to write about all the touristic attractions I visited in Krakow, you can read about them here on TripAdvisor and other sites. For example, start with visiting magnificent churches of Krakow which are all quite close. Enjoy impressive architecture and marvelous interior of these historic edifices. My personal advice is to take a stroll on riverside early in the morning. The streets are mostly empty, you will meet rare dog walkers and joggers. Take a direction to Church on the Rock and then pass through Kazimierz (Jewish District). You will surely get unforgettable impression of Wisla River, its quay and bridges.

Speaking again about hospitality of the hotel, they knew about problems with my luggage and allowed me to stay a bit longer in my room to wait until LOT airline finally delivered my lost luggage to the hotel. They also offered me extra bags to pack my belongings and took my bags for temporary storage while I was enjoying remaining hours in Krakow and waiting for my flight back.
And of course the amiable receptionist arranged a taxi for me to the airport.

Bottom line: now I’m thinking about visiting Krakow in spring or summer. I might consider other hotels but this one will be on the top of that list. I dare to say I can recommend this hotel for others.

Room Tip: "Ask for a window with view to Grodzka street and church of St. Peter and St. Paul." &quo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank _0Alexey0_

Dear _0Alexey0_ ,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. We are genuinely interested in our guests’ impressions and truly always endeavor to provide the best possible experience. We were pleased to find your stay was pleasant and comfortable and hope to see you soon again however I am sorry that some of the facilities had not met with your expectations. We were however, pleased to see your stay was otherwise pleasant and comfortable and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a great stay here before Christmas. Our room was at the top of the hotel and was spacious and comfortable with tea and coffee. The breakfast was great with fresh fruit, good coffee, warm rolls and excellent scrambled eggs. The bar has a happy hour and the barman made great mojitos. The hotel staff couldn't do enough for us - the lovely receptionist went out late at night to get us bus tickets the next day for a trip to the Salt Mines as she doubted our ability to find how to buy these - bless her. The hotel location is within easy reach of the main square with its delightful Christmas market - selling lovely mulled wine - and good restaurants easily walkable. We got there easily from the railway station just by the airport, and had no difficulties. Excellent stay. Krakow makes a lovely short break.

2  Thank JuliaStevens60
OstiHotele, Front Office Supervisor at Senacki Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear JuliaStevens60,

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am extremely pleased that You had a great stay with us recently. Thank You, as well, for your very nice comments about our front desk staff. I am glad that they was able to provide you with great service and a memorable experience.

Hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed hear a couple of weeks ago for two nights (Krakow is a beautiful city and much of it can be seen within three days). The room was large (despite it being one of the attic rooms) clean, and tastefully decorated in a modern and simple style. It was very comfortable.

Breakfasts were good with lots of variety

Staff on the front desk were extremely helpful - in fact the service on the front desk stands out as one of the best I have encountered for willingness and good advice.

The hotel is well located within the ancient city and less than five minutes walk from the main square. There are many good reasonably priced restauarants nearby.

I recommend the hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Decide if you want a view (front facing) or quiet (rear facing)

Dear EverhopefulLondon,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. From our location to our wonderful staff. We will share your kind words with our staff.
Here at the Senacki we aim to create an atmosphere that makes our guests feel comfortable and their visit one that is memorable.

It is always a pleasure to receive such a great review review and we appreciate your 5 star reviews for cleanliness and service and I am delighted to hear that our team rolled out the star treatment for you.

We hope that you will choose us on Your next visit in Kraków.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Like the previous reviewer, I also stayed here with my mother. We came to Krakow for the Christmas markets (having been to Prague and Cologne previously). We found the market in the main square and a little market next to the main shopping centre had lovely gift ideas. They were the smallest of all the markets we had visited. (I think the previous reviewer told another hotel guest that Manchester is the place to go...so we'll try that one!).

However, the Hotel Sencaki was certainly the best of the hotels we had stayed in. FrWe arrived and Klaudia quickly checked us in while our suitcase was whisked up to our room by the porter...who refused a tip. We were on the first floor with a room at the back. It didn't have a view and looked on to the internal courtyard and the external glass lift. No hardship, we were barely in the room...only popping in to warm up and take the 'weight off'. There was a tempting mini-bar but as the hotel bar in the basement (which doubled as the breakfast room) served 2-for-1 drinks in the evening, we tried some Georgian wine from there and took a glass up to our rooms. We didn't have a bath but had a high powered shower that could fairly blast you against the wall. The hotel/room was clean, tidy, warm, central and we would gladly go back.

We didn't eat in the hotel and tried various different restaurants nearby. The food was always good and we managed two large mains with hot tomato/aubergine salad and a bottle of wine for 95 zloty (Approx £19) at the Gruzinkie Chaczapurie just off the main Sq on Grodzka St (same st as hotel). I think this may be a chain as there was more than one.

We found everyone very friendly and helpful. As usual a lot of people spoke English putting us to shame on the language front!

Thank you Everyone at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
OstiHotele, Front Office Supervisor at Senacki Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear whiskylady,

It's always wonderful to hear when a guest appreciates the finer details that make the Senacki Hotel such a special place. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your enjoyable experience.
It is our goal to ensure each and every one of our guests leaves here well rested and inspired to return.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed here with my Mother recently and what a superb find. Krakow itself is a beautiful city, with the most amazing buildings and history. We stayed for five days and didn't have time to cover nearly half of what we wanted to see. The Senaki itself is a lovely hotel, literally minutes walk away from the centre and the main sights whilst still retaining a secluded feel. The hotel whilst not huge has a reception area, restaurant and separate dining room used for breakfast. and lift which takes you to the third floor, if you are on the fourth floor (like us), then you need to walk up two flights of stairs. All communal areas were nicely decorated and everyone spotlessly clean. All of the staff, particularly those in reception, were friendly, polite and extremely helpful. Breakfast was mainly continental but was varied, fresh and plentiful. There was also a hot food menu, which was freshly made, mainly eggs (of all varieties) and pancakes. Of the dishes that we tried, all were extremely good. The room we had was very generously sized with a king size bed, dressing table, wardrobe (with free safe) and tea and coffee making facilities. There .was also a mini bar containing a selection of drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and a limited selection of snacks and chocolate bars. Due to the high mineral content of the water, you are advised to drink bottled water. You can purchase this from a supermarket which is just across the road but the hotel supplied a bottle of still and sparkling water daily. Getting around Krakow is very easy. Many of the streets are cobbled and so comfortable low heeled shoes are recommended. We preferred to walk to many places but if you prefer, you can take a taxi or tram. There are also many small golf type carts which offer city tours or numerous firms that offer private tours which can take you further afield, all very reasonably priced. Whilst not a shoppers paradise, there are a number of stores in the centre selling clothing, souvenirs and footwear, for more variety there is a large shopping centre within walking distance which has a many stores selling clothes, shoes, cosmetics, toiletries and foods, including C & A, Zara and H & M! It had snowed quite heavily both before and during our trip but this did not cause any problems whatsoever. All areas frequented by pedestrians seem to be cleared within minutes, the only issue we had was around the Christmas markets in the evening which could become quite slippery underfoot once the temperature plumeted, but again this isn't a problem with the correct footwear. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant as Krakow itself has numerous cafe bars and restaurants, most serving high quality food very cheaply. We would certainly recommend Krakow to others and particularly the Senaki for your stay. We hope to return again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ladywigan
OstiHotele, Front Office Supervisor at Senacki Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear ladywigan,

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your experience at our hotel. We are proud of the service and facilities and are happy you found them to be what one should expect of a Senacki Hotel.

Should you have an opportunity to come back to Kraków we would love to be your hotel of choice.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Senacki is situated on the Royal route between the Wawel Castle and the Main Square, This makes it easy to reach the main parts of the Krakow on foot, which is a real bonus. The staff are very welcoming and cannot be more helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean. A wide range of food, both hot and cold, is provided at breakfast as part of the cost.

Room Tip: Both rooms booked were on the third floor. Enjoyed the exercise that the stairs provide, but there i...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PRK1947

Dear PRK1947,
On behalf of whole Hotel Senacki team I would like to thank You for all nice words and we are really pleased that You spend such a good time and have good opinion about Hotel facilities & service.
We will be grateful for You to visit us other times in the future.
Kind Regards and All the best in New 2013 Year