Exciting Krakow Tours - Private Day Tours
Review Highlights
Auschwitz-Birkenau Camp Full-Day Guided Tour from Krakow

Booked all our trips using this company before setting off to Krakow. This tour was excellent, we... read more

Reviewed June 5, 2018
Kevin D
relaxing drive to mountains & wilderness in Slovakia!

Reviewed July 21, 2019
rebecc a

All reviews comfortable bus same company day trip hour tour schindler's factory camp headphones auschwitz sunglasses organisation konrad guide route horror zloty
Selected filters
Reviewed July 21, 2019

Last month I was planning a day trip from Krakow for me and my aunt & uncle who are in their 80s. Our goal was visiting the mountains near southern Poland. Choosing to cross the border into Slovakia was a fun alternative to Zakopane. Our driver Chris knew great places to accommodate my aunt’s walking struggles. The Slovakian side of the mountains had few tourists, no waiting on lines, and it's gorgeous! I would have enjoyed a Slovakian stamp in my passport but there is nothing at the border with Poland. Just clean rolling roads through mountain villages. More wilderness in Slovakia compared to Poland. Chris drove us around the park both countries share. I recall routes 66 and 537. We rode cable cars up the mountains. The brave will take the third stage up to the peak -- it was sold out when we were there, but I was relieved since I’m not a fan of those types of heights. We also walked a peaceful lake in a different area. Chris pointed out points of interest and he picked a Slovak restaurant for a delicious lunch. We only speak English which was no problem for Chris. He made it a special day for us.

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed June 29, 2019 via mobile

My 13-yr old son and I booked a guided tour of Auschwitz & Birkenau with Exciting Krakow Tours and found the experience to be pretty much what we expected. We were driven on a clean, comfortable bus for about an hour and 20 min to Auschwitz and were given 15 min to grab a bite and use the bathroom before our tour began. Our guide, Konrad, did a good job of herding us along at a pretty brisk pace through the different sites and negotiating the many other tour groups as he spoke to us about what we were seeing. At Birkenau we had another few minutes to eat, drink, and use the bathroom before commencing with our tour. Once again we were kept moving along at a good clip and stopped at key points to listen to Konrad describe what we were seeing. I believe that we viewed and paused at as many sites as possible within each camp given the constraints of our schedule and the pace of the other guided groups around us.

My advice is to approach the viewing of Auschwitz and Birkenau with reasonable expectations and appropriate reverence regardless of which company you book a tour with. Last year over 2 million people visited both camps so expect to be surrounded by large groups of people. Don’t expect to be comfortable......this trip isn’t about comfort, it’s about being present. You will have to do a lot of walking outdoors in the weather so bring the appropriate gear (hat, umbrella, sunglasses). Don’t worry about taking photos...you can find plenty of good photo documentation online and in the many excellent books written about the camps and the Holocaust. Put your selfie stick away and once again, be present.

With realistic expectations I think that most people will find that Exciting Krakow and the other tour companies generally do a pretty decent job of getting you to and from the camps and giving a guided tour within each location. We were very satisfied with our guide, Konrad, and with the overall experience as facilitated by Exciting Krakow Tours.

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank mrmurp
Reviewed May 25, 2019

Probably due the number of tours going on we were rushed through each section and skipped a few buildings. It may just be how things are there because of the number of visitors coming through. However, the tour operator gave us only 10 minutes to use the toilets (long line), buy (long line, even lines for the vending machines), and eat food so the rushing continued.

It was pouring rain during our last 20 minutes at Birkenau. Our instructions from the driver when he dropped us off were to meet him at the bus parking lot (a 10-minute walk from the main entrance). It was a small bus so he could've easily picked us up at the main entrance where we could've waited for him under cover. All it would've taken was a call from the guide to the driver to say we were done. Instead, we all had to dodge puddles in the pouring rain to get to the bus and we were all soaked. That is a terrible way to end a tour. Sadly, we were in such a rush to get on the bus and get dry that I don't even know where our guide was so that I could tip her.

Our guide had some limited English vocabulary, problems with eye contact, and a stuttering problem. This is definitely a great job for her to help overcome those issues so I do applaud the company for giving her an opportunity. However, typically that is not the kind of tour guide one is looking for.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed May 9, 2019

The bus arrived on time and the driver was really nice. We got there on time and it was good that we only had to queue to get our bags searched rather than waiting for tickets as the queues were massive. We needed a quick toilet break and you have to pay 2 zloty for the toilet which we didn't mind paying. There was a big queue for the toilet but it moves quickly. There is a restaurant and snacks to eat before you enter and these can also be visited on the way out too. You can only take a small bag into the Auschwitz which I wasn't aware of but luckily I only was carrying a small bag anyway. Your bag gets searched and you also walk through a metal detector which I thought was good, I believe this should happen at large attractions. On entering you are given your head phones and you meet your guide. Our guide was amazing and was so passionate about the Auschwitz story which made our visit even more memorable. The guide was very respectful and full of information. He guided us around Auschwitz and I couldn't believe we were actually there, there was so much to take in, I was emotional and very over whelmed by the place and the stories. The tour takes around two hours and then you are taken to Birkenau which is takes about ten minutes to drive to. This place is unbelievable, at first you see the tracks and the famous station and this is really something to see. When I entered and looked left and looked right, I couldn't believe how big the site is. We stood at the place where the selection would have happened and we walked the walk that many many people walked to the gas chambers, the walk gives you chills. The remembrance monument is breath taking we spend a few moments in silence there. Seeing the gas chambers in the state that they was found in was an unbelievable site. We went into one of the huts which housed dying ladies, this site is something I will never forget. This trip is a must once in your life. Our guide made our visit very memorable.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed March 14, 2019 via mobile

Great private tour operates by the above .. friendly and knowledgeable driver “Asham” .. well priced and well recommended

Date of experience: March 2019