“very average”

Ranked #86 of 258 Hotels in Krakow
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“very average”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The twin room we slept in was quite small,but clean.I sent some trousers to be laundered,which were supposed to take 24hrs,but took 48hrs.We ate breakfast in 4 different rooms,due to some sort of conference taking place.The quality of the food was very poor,the hot food was cold, there was allways something missing and food was cleared away before the closing time.I don't know how to describe the orange juice,it was like nothing iv ever tasted.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent 4 nights at this hotel, which was perfectly OK - but if you (as most) simply do short breaks to these interesting cities, it is SO important to be in the Centre of the action: old town square, museums, galleries, churches, coffee shops - many of them, where they do THE most wonderful koffee & kuchen - and all sorts of interesting boutiques, in Florianska Street. I was short of a jacket as weather suddenly cold, so went into a 2nd hand shop (across the road from the hotel) where I chose a very nice almost new jacket, and this was weighed for the cost (!) at £3 - a real find...\ Initially I looked at this hotel from the map on line and it did not seem very far from the Old Town Square, and indeed it was quite easily to walk to (20-min at the outset), but walking under subways, crossing wide roads etc etc makes this not a pleasant exercise. When I go again, and I will as it is such a charming and delightful City, I will stay in a B&B in Grodzka Street or thereabouts, as most of the hotels and B&Bs there are ON THE SPOT and one can walk anywhere without any problem. .I would say that the Chopin Hotel would be ideal for Conferences etc. and I noted it was used for this purpose; I would say it was well worth the 3-star award it has been given; in addition I had a nice bedroom, and they have a good pub/lounge and do a really fabulous breakfast. Where can one get that wonderful black seeded bread!!! And the coffee, mmmm.... Staff were wonderful - as was every single Pole I met, although, curiously enough, many of the staff come from Rumania? Very clean place and I would recommend this hotel if you are not all that keen on doing too much sightseeing!! I would advise against getting any s'wiches or food from the bar - as these (the one I had) are absolutely horrendous! Chicken, cooked over and over again. No thanks! Fairly noisy, but chatted to some Brits who were friendly and we gave each other suggestions of where to go and what to see! So a good 3-star hotel.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms I am sure are OK - but as usual, I will always try and get a room which is high up...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Catlover9cleo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is a nice hotel but I did not find the staff that friendly. We arrived back after having a day trip down the salt mines and they had the restaurant fully booked out with a large group of people who were not residents. So we were left to find a table in the lobby in order to get some food. I cant imagine any hotel booking out its restaurant and leaving nowhere for their residents to eat. For this reason I will not return to this hotel. Other than that the hotel was clean and in a good location. ..I loved my trip to Poland and I will return next year for more..........

Lichfield
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Chopin for 3 nights from 5 October with 9 others. All in all, a great hotel and a very good base for the weekend. Our room was on the second floor at the front of the hotel which we asked for by email a couple of days before travelling so well worth doing the same if you'd prefer the quieter front - which I learned from tripadvisor. The room was small but had everything you want/need so no complaints there. The double bed was very comfortable and the two single quilts as opposed to one double one was a really good idea!

Our stay was on a B&B basis so can't comment on lunch or dinner. We had breakfast in the dining room each morning and although I guess fairly basic, gave a very good start to each of the days. As said elsewhere, drinks are expensive (14 Zlotys for a beer) but that's the same at most hotels.

The tram stop is right outside the hotel and only 2 or 3 stops to the old town. We bought tickets on the tram so you're going to do the same, make us you have some coins. Instructions are in English, it's about 3 Zlotys and the machine does give change. However, it's only a 20 minute walk which we did most of the time.

I pre-arranged transfers with Krakow Direct by email (398 Zlotys return for the 11 of us) and can definitely recommend this company. Excellent English speaking drivers and modern Mercedes vehicles. We also arranged trips to the salt mine and Auschwitz with them - at the end of the salt mine tour, the driver even gave us a bottle of cherry vodka which was a very nice touch.

Room Tip: Front rooms are quieter. There's a busy dual carriageway at the back.
1 Thank Welsh39wizard
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

A group of 11 of us stayed here for 3 nights.
First impressions were good although the check in staff could have been friendlier.
I had asked for a room in a quiet location, they put me right beside the lifts!
Thanks for that.
On the subject of noise, they have maintenance work carried out as early as 7am with workers banging and thumping, absolute disgrace.
The rooms are pretty small though this isn’t an issue if you are going to be out all day as we were.
There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room unless you ‘upgrade’.
Upgrade to get a kettle and some tea bags?
For some reason a spare toilet roll holder is so close to the toilet that you have to sit sideways.
I have no idea why this has been done. There is plenty of room to put it out of the way, very strange.
The beds are comfy and the safe is free to use. Make sure you use it, I had stuff go missing.
Breakfast was adequate though things were always running out, scrambled eggs cold, water for tea nowhere near hot enough to make a decent cup of tea, etc.
Use the main eating area, the overflow area is like sitting in a school canteen.
The drinks in the hotel bar are the dearest we found in the whole of Krakow.
We had a great time in Krakow but that was due to the company not this hotel.
It’s ok for a reasonably priced base but I would probably look elsewhere in the future.

Room Tip: Waste of time requesting anything as they just ignore it.
Germany
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Had a room near the lift and it was very noisy.

Had a cold shower in the morning when the hot water ran out .... then we moved hotel.

Is a short walk from the centre, but not through the prettiest part of the city.

Decor is very simple and comfortable, as well as very clean.

Breakfast is OK.

Front desk is pleasant.

Room Tip: Not near a lift!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Booked this hotel through a Groupon offer and we were very pleased with it for a 3* hotel. The rooms were not huge but were very clean. We pre upgraded to a Superior room to have the tea/coffee in room and a dvd player although we did not use it and hairdryer. The tea/coffee only replenished every 3 days which seems bizarre but we took our own so not bothered. The hairdryer is wired to the wall and you have to keep your finger on the switch to work and cuts out when it gets hot. The shampoo and soap dispensers are attached to the walls over the ath and sink. BUT they are there if you are travelling light due to small luggage allowances!!We pre-booked through the hotel an airport pickup and return service and even though the plane laned 1/2 hour early they were there waiting for us. They also arranged with their own taxi service tours out too which were great. The breakfast were buffet help yourself and had hot and cold selections fruit and yoghurts lots of breads. Strong coffee and weak fruit juice. The staff were very friendly helpful and all spoke good english. The There were lifts a car park and toilets were down stairs but very clean. The bar is off the entrance foyer. The hotel is bright and colourful. It is a good 20 minute walk to the main square although the tram stop is very close to the hotel you pre buy tram tickets. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are on the third and fourth floors and have tea/coffee making and dvd player and hair...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple