WINNER WONDERLAND

“Worst hotel experience I've ever had.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel

BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel
Ranked #154 of 258 Hotels in Krakow
“Worst hotel experience I've ever had.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Being my first time in krakow I was completely disgusted by the service I received at this hotel. I was treated like crap from the moment I arrived. It was 9:30 am and after asking where a restaurant was my friend and I were pointed towards the dining area behind us. We sat down and were not served so we walked to the bar and grabbed the waiter. He came to the table and asked us what we wanted to drink and then he brought us our water. After he never returned we got up and asked him if we could see a menu so he pointed them out to us. Again no service so after deciding what we wanted we got up a third time to talk to him. When we tried to order it was only at this point (at least 30 mins later) that we were informed the restaurant wasn't even open for another 2.5 hrs. It only gets worse from here. The next day we returned to the dining area for dinner to be greeted by a different waiter. When ordering our drinks he actually argued with me about the kind if water I wanted, threw his hands up and walked away on me while I was mid sentence! The same day we were expecting housekeeping. The shower gel was empty so we turned the bottle sideways so they would know. Instead if replacing it they filled it with water, shook it and moved it into the hand wash holder by the sink - and in turn moved the hand wash into the shower. So when we went to use the hand wash (which now was obviously the empty shower gel) the bottled immediately squirted out the refilled water. What a joke. On the third day, today, we were set to check out and do a city tour which ended at three pm. Our flight was not until 9 pm and we did not want to roam the city so we were willing to overlook the ridiculous service and pay for a third night just to stay there after the tour until our flight left. When I asked the front desk if we could please rent the room for another night he sounded apprehensive and then said "no the hotel is already overbooked." We just watched a large group check out and I believe he was lying. I checked on hotels.com as well as directly through the hotel and sure enough there are rooms available. What a disgrace to the holiday inn name. These people should not be employed.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Blynn2012,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Katie J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Got a cancelled flight today because of heavy fog, then was sent to this place,should not have complained too much, but just ordered a beer the bar and the bar guy is incredibly rude and dismissive ,worst staff ever i met in any of the hotels,restaurants or bars.he ruined the everything.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tony W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Tony W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Please allow me to apologize for the unacceptable service you encountered at our bar during your visit and any inconvenience you may have experienced. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually. Rest assured, your comments will be forwarded to the departments involved and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Krakow, Poland.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Krakow hotels

Brixham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed here for three nights of hell. This hotel takes in large groups of young students who ran riot every night, shouting and racing up and down the corridors until the early hours of the morning. Evening meals and breakfast were both fairly good. In the evenings the small restaurant area was quickly filled and some people had to wait for a table, service was slow.

Our room was clean and a reasonable size, but cold as the heating wasn't working and we asked for a heater which was quickly supplied.

Room Tip: Ask if there will be any young students staying at the hotel before you book.
1 Thank BrixhamJeanjeannie
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Very nice rooms - clean, beautiful and a very good bathroom.
The breakfast was very nice too.
The WiFi was the main problem, very very slow WiFi, almost impossible to connect to the hotels network.
The hotel is located outside of Krakow so you need a car or taxi to get to the city center.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is the 3rd time I've stayed at this HIE property. I don't remember having such a hard time using internet previous 2 stays. They have groups of young people that come to visit Auschwitz and stay here. Front desk said that all the kids were the reason. I couldn't even get on at 1 or 2 in the morning cause these young people were eating up all the bandwidth.
Here's the thing, if u advertise free wireless internet...it means u MUST provide it. If, as the front desk said, it is because of all the young people using WIFI with their phones...then you look for a solution. Don't give me excuses...find a solution. If, not, then be up front about it. One solution would be to offer wire service in the rooms.
But what really pissed me off...was that after I explained how the lack of internet really messed up my business for three days, they didn't offer anything. I said to them that atleast they could drop the fee for parking.
I couldn't believe it...they not only wouldn't drop the $10 daily parking fee but mistakenly charged me twice.
Their "penny wise and dollar fookish" attitude was totally repulsive..... I will write a general letter to Holiday Inn explaining what transpired....but if you go here, know that you stand a good chance of not having an internet connection as advertised. And by the way, I am a Platinum member. No acknowledgement whatsoever of my being Platinum. Next year, I will stay at the Best Western Next door. They have wireless and cable in the rooms.
Holiday Inn Krakow....shame on you!

2 Thank ILoveIsrl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear ILoveIsrl,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Platinum Rewards member and taking the time to write us a review. I am disappointed to read about your experience regarding your recent stay with us. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the Internet issues and staff service you received. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Pam G.
E
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Basic hotel, clean and good breakfast. Service not good, staff approachable but service is very slow, cannot cope with large groups especially at meal times. Dinner was good but heavy - as is the case in eastern europe.
Stay completely spoilt by having several schools/colleges from various parts of the world staying. The noise at dinner was horrendous and at night the teenagers were running up and down the corridors after 10pm. Several of our group complained to reception and teachers were summoned but it happen on all three nights of our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine W
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in October, and the main reasons for choosing this hotel had to do with me booking on their website a lot, and the fact that it appeared easy for me to get to the hotel from the highway (and it was).

The property looks quite old and worn out… You see that from the lobby all the way to the room.

I arrived very late on Friday, close to midnight, and the hotel was sold out just swamped with teenagers / young adults (emphasis on the young….) / students. Quite a noisy bunch. Great news the room I had, ended up offering a quiet retreat from the craziness. Room was clean, but worn out, it could use a major face lift, just like the rest of the hotel.
On Saturday when I returned in addition to the students there was wedding in the lobby…. Great news the noise from neither groups made it to the room!

The internet which I need for work and I use all the time was barely available. I assume because of the many guests trying to connect all at once. Once the tour busses left the internet was available but slow.
In talking to the reception folks it appears that on many weekends the hotel has tour groups and they are sold out.

In the morning the hotel offered free breakfast, which was OK. Not the best ever. Price was very high for what they offered, over 300PLN, parking included - Both , as compared to other HI properties or other similarly star rated hotels in Poland.

The hotel is not far from downtown, 4 - 5 km or so, but it is not convenient to get there, especially w/o a car.

The only one very positive thing for me about this stay was how quiet the room was.

Overall, I would not recommend this property for visiting Krakow or for business trips - main reasons; location & condition of the property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Traveler2009
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Traveler2009,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the condition of our hotel as well as our location and the internet connection. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Krakow you will give our hotel another try.

Thank you again for your comments.

Karen C