“Spoilt by Visiting Students” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel

BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel
Ranked #150 of 259 Hotels in Krakow
Brixham
“Spoilt by Visiting Students”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed here for three nights of hell. This hotel takes in large groups of young students who ran riot every night, shouting and racing up and down the corridors until the early hours of the morning. Evening meals and breakfast were both fairly good. In the evenings the small restaurant area was quickly filled and some people had to wait for a table, service was slow.

Our room was clean and a reasonable size, but cold as the heating wasn't working and we asked for a heater which was quickly supplied.

Room Tip: Ask if there will be any young students staying at the hotel before you book.
1 Thank BrixhamJeanjeannie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Very nice rooms - clean, beautiful and a very good bathroom.
The breakfast was very nice too.
The WiFi was the main problem, very very slow WiFi, almost impossible to connect to the hotels network.
The hotel is located outside of Krakow so you need a car or taxi to get to the city center.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is the 3rd time I've stayed at this HIE property. I don't remember having such a hard time using internet previous 2 stays. They have groups of young people that come to visit Auschwitz and stay here. Front desk said that all the kids were the reason. I couldn't even get on at 1 or 2 in the morning cause these young people were eating up all the bandwidth.
Here's the thing, if u advertise free wireless internet...it means u MUST provide it. If, as the front desk said, it is because of all the young people using WIFI with their phones...then you look for a solution. Don't give me excuses...find a solution. If, not, then be up front about it. One solution would be to offer wire service in the rooms.
But what really pissed me off...was that after I explained how the lack of internet really messed up my business for three days, they didn't offer anything. I said to them that atleast they could drop the fee for parking.
I couldn't believe it...they not only wouldn't drop the $10 daily parking fee but mistakenly charged me twice.
Their "penny wise and dollar fookish" attitude was totally repulsive..... I will write a general letter to Holiday Inn explaining what transpired....but if you go here, know that you stand a good chance of not having an internet connection as advertised. And by the way, I am a Platinum member. No acknowledgement whatsoever of my being Platinum. Next year, I will stay at the Best Western Next door. They have wireless and cable in the rooms.
Holiday Inn Krakow....shame on you!

2 Thank ILoveIsrl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear ILoveIsrl,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Platinum Rewards member and taking the time to write us a review. I am disappointed to read about your experience regarding your recent stay with us. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the Internet issues and staff service you received. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Krakow hotels

E
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Basic hotel, clean and good breakfast. Service not good, staff approachable but service is very slow, cannot cope with large groups especially at meal times. Dinner was good but heavy - as is the case in eastern europe.
Stay completely spoilt by having several schools/colleges from various parts of the world staying. The noise at dinner was horrendous and at night the teenagers were running up and down the corridors after 10pm. Several of our group complained to reception and teachers were summoned but it happen on all three nights of our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine W
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in October, and the main reasons for choosing this hotel had to do with me booking on their website a lot, and the fact that it appeared easy for me to get to the hotel from the highway (and it was).

The property looks quite old and worn out… You see that from the lobby all the way to the room.

I arrived very late on Friday, close to midnight, and the hotel was sold out just swamped with teenagers / young adults (emphasis on the young….) / students. Quite a noisy bunch. Great news the room I had, ended up offering a quiet retreat from the craziness. Room was clean, but worn out, it could use a major face lift, just like the rest of the hotel.
On Saturday when I returned in addition to the students there was wedding in the lobby…. Great news the noise from neither groups made it to the room!

The internet which I need for work and I use all the time was barely available. I assume because of the many guests trying to connect all at once. Once the tour busses left the internet was available but slow.
In talking to the reception folks it appears that on many weekends the hotel has tour groups and they are sold out.

In the morning the hotel offered free breakfast, which was OK. Not the best ever. Price was very high for what they offered, over 300PLN, parking included - Both , as compared to other HI properties or other similarly star rated hotels in Poland.

The hotel is not far from downtown, 4 - 5 km or so, but it is not convenient to get there, especially w/o a car.

The only one very positive thing for me about this stay was how quiet the room was.

Overall, I would not recommend this property for visiting Krakow or for business trips - main reasons; location & condition of the property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Traveler2009
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Traveler2009,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the condition of our hotel as well as our location and the internet connection. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Krakow you will give our hotel another try.

Thank you again for your comments.

Karen C
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The night of Friday, September 28th 2012, we had reservations for two (2) rooms at the Holiday Inn Express Krakow (12/14 Opolska Street, Krakow, 31-323). The reservation was for two non-smoking rooms. I am also a Platinum member at the IHG loyalty club.

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in all my years. I spend an average of 6-12 nights at hotels every month. The rooms were missing furniture (one room was literally missing the couch), they smelled and were unclean, there internet only worked in certain areas of the hotel, there were holes in the hallway floor, the carpets were stained, it was extremely loud, the climate control did not work. When brought up to the staff they were arrogant, rude, unfriendly, and purposely showing a lack of concern. The noise complaint was rejected as “there is a large group of young people staying in the hotel tonight.” When ordering room service from I was told and had to walk down to the restaurant and pick it up myself.

When asked for a refund, starting from ordering non-smoking rooms, I was told the manager is not in, it was 7AM. When I asked to contact the manager the receptionist said they don’t have a way of doing so! I had to go on further and inform that if there is an emergency there is a number they call. After checking back with the representative a few minutes later she informed me she tried to contact the manager and they cannot offer a refund. I do not believe a manager was consulted.

This hotel should be shut down, let alone hold the Holiday Inn name, it is a disgrace. I am requesting a full refund.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bam B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Bam B,

Pam G.
Collingwood, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I am usually a traveller that will pay more to be centrally located. For some reason I couldn't sleep one night and went on hotwire and got this hotel amazingly cheap. I must admit I was disappointed when I found out what hotel and where it was, but was determined to make the most of it.
The hotel is dated...but it is clean and the staff were very friendly. It is out of the way but a taxi is relatively cheap. We had actually booked 2 tour days where we ended up being picked up right at the hotel and dropped off at the City Centre when we came back so only had to pay a one way trip each time. The bus was easy to find as others mentioned, we just chose to take a taxi as we thought it was still cheap.
The breakfast was not very good, but what do you expect at that price of the room? We arrived late on the first night, so ate dinner at the hotel...I didn't find it that pricey and it was quite tastey and the service was excellent (this was a quieter night).
All in all, you decide. If you don't mind being out of the city centre to save $ then this is for you...if you prefer to be in the city centre...I strongly suggest that this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family