“Average” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #142 of 258 Hotels in Krakow
E
“Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Basic hotel, clean and good breakfast. Service not good, staff approachable but service is very slow, cannot cope with large groups especially at meal times. Dinner was good but heavy - as is the case in eastern europe.
Stay completely spoilt by having several schools/colleges from various parts of the world staying. The noise at dinner was horrendous and at night the teenagers were running up and down the corridors after 10pm. Several of our group complained to reception and teachers were summoned but it happen on all three nights of our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in October, and the main reasons for choosing this hotel had to do with me booking on their website a lot, and the fact that it appeared easy for me to get to the hotel from the highway (and it was).

The property looks quite old and worn out… You see that from the lobby all the way to the room.

I arrived very late on Friday, close to midnight, and the hotel was sold out just swamped with teenagers / young adults (emphasis on the young….) / students. Quite a noisy bunch. Great news the room I had, ended up offering a quiet retreat from the craziness. Room was clean, but worn out, it could use a major face lift, just like the rest of the hotel.
On Saturday when I returned in addition to the students there was wedding in the lobby…. Great news the noise from neither groups made it to the room!

The internet which I need for work and I use all the time was barely available. I assume because of the many guests trying to connect all at once. Once the tour busses left the internet was available but slow.
In talking to the reception folks it appears that on many weekends the hotel has tour groups and they are sold out.

In the morning the hotel offered free breakfast, which was OK. Not the best ever. Price was very high for what they offered, over 300PLN, parking included - Both , as compared to other HI properties or other similarly star rated hotels in Poland.

The hotel is not far from downtown, 4 - 5 km or so, but it is not convenient to get there, especially w/o a car.

The only one very positive thing for me about this stay was how quiet the room was.

Overall, I would not recommend this property for visiting Krakow or for business trips - main reasons; location & condition of the property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Traveler2009
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Traveler2009,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the condition of our hotel as well as our location and the internet connection. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Krakow you will give our hotel another try.

Thank you again for your comments.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Krakow hotels

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The night of Friday, September 28th 2012, we had reservations for two (2) rooms at the Holiday Inn Express Krakow (12/14 Opolska Street, Krakow, 31-323). The reservation was for two non-smoking rooms. I am also a Platinum member at the IHG loyalty club.

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in all my years. I spend an average of 6-12 nights at hotels every month. The rooms were missing furniture (one room was literally missing the couch), they smelled and were unclean, there internet only worked in certain areas of the hotel, there were holes in the hallway floor, the carpets were stained, it was extremely loud, the climate control did not work. When brought up to the staff they were arrogant, rude, unfriendly, and purposely showing a lack of concern. The noise complaint was rejected as “there is a large group of young people staying in the hotel tonight.” When ordering room service from I was told and had to walk down to the restaurant and pick it up myself.

When asked for a refund, starting from ordering non-smoking rooms, I was told the manager is not in, it was 7AM. When I asked to contact the manager the receptionist said they don’t have a way of doing so! I had to go on further and inform that if there is an emergency there is a number they call. After checking back with the representative a few minutes later she informed me she tried to contact the manager and they cannot offer a refund. I do not believe a manager was consulted.

This hotel should be shut down, let alone hold the Holiday Inn name, it is a disgrace. I am requesting a full refund.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bam B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Efekt Express Krakow Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Bam B,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Collingwood, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I am usually a traveller that will pay more to be centrally located. For some reason I couldn't sleep one night and went on hotwire and got this hotel amazingly cheap. I must admit I was disappointed when I found out what hotel and where it was, but was determined to make the most of it.
The hotel is dated...but it is clean and the staff were very friendly. It is out of the way but a taxi is relatively cheap. We had actually booked 2 tour days where we ended up being picked up right at the hotel and dropped off at the City Centre when we came back so only had to pay a one way trip each time. The bus was easy to find as others mentioned, we just chose to take a taxi as we thought it was still cheap.
The breakfast was not very good, but what do you expect at that price of the room? We arrived late on the first night, so ate dinner at the hotel...I didn't find it that pricey and it was quite tastey and the service was excellent (this was a quieter night).
All in all, you decide. If you don't mind being out of the city centre to save $ then this is for you...if you prefer to be in the city centre...I strongly suggest that this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

HIE Krakow is a good option if you'd like to have decent, comfortable hotel for really low price.

LOCATION & TRANSPORTATION - It is situated in the northern part of Krakow, close to main roads. There is large car park attached (30 PLN/24h). From the city centre you need to pay approx. 20-25 PLN for a taxi, still very low price. Bus #130 goes from the city centre (near Galeria Krakowska) and stops approx. 300 m from the hotel (print your map for the first time), cost is 3.20 PLN/30 min ticket (in the evening you can buy 15 min ticket as this is more than enough to get there).

CHECK-IN was quick and efficient. This is budget hotel, so no additional benefits or extras for Priority Club Rewards Elite status members. I have booked "1 DBL + sofa bed" room. Lobby and reception area looks good and pleasant. There is bar, restaurant, large dining room, business meeting rooms etc.

ROOM #233 was situated on the 2nd floor. I have contacted hotel earlier to advise them that "I do not need to have my sofa ready for the 3rd person" (what they confirmed), but unfortunately when I arrive there it was prepared. Unnecessary extra work for the maid... Anyway... Room was clean and fresh. It is quite basic, but comfortable and good quality. I really liked my bed, which was very comfortable.
I was advised by the Receptionist that there is no Wi-Fi Internet access in the room, despite that it was working there (not the greatest, but still OK). I think that should be changed in the future as this is standard all over the world.
I was worrying that there will be noise heard from the corridor or outside, but it was pleasant and quiet.

In the morning complimentary breakfast was served. Another surprise. I was expecting quite basic (as in UK) selection, but that was really nice. Hot and cold meals, different types of bread, fruit, cheeses etc.

I was quite happy as well with my Priority Club Rewards points which were accumulated just after two economical nights in this hotel. Overall it was definitely great value for money. Comfortable hotel for a little bit less and not too far from the centre.

Room Tip: Room with sofa is more spacious and more comfortable
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Torino (italy)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Last time I wrote fantastic place
after 2 years... the same..........

very cheap, clean and easy to find!!
It isn't in city center but no problem, in front of big mall (main train station is there) you have bus n°130 destination AZORY.-...... you will find express by holiday in on your left at the end of its road!!!

Room Tip: last floor, in the opposite corner of main street
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank monicamel1973
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel caters for large groups and overnight stayers. Reception staff are always helpful. This hotel either has a lot to learn in the restaurant business or they're actively trying to discourage diners. Food is good quality but expensive and very, very slow to arrive. Location is well out of town with controlled parking - for which they charge extra. Rooms are comfortable except for the thick rubber under sheets ! Youth groups can be troublesome and extremely noisy to the point where the hotel employ security staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business