“Wentzl: like a magical palace stuck in time with a dragon, Auschwitz, lurking nearby”
Review of Hotel Wentzl

Hotel Wentzl
Ranked #14 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Hotel Wentzl must be the most marvelous hotel in the magical town of Krakow. The town is beautiful, with rich history and a tastefully grand atmosphere. Hotel Wentzl is in the center of the town square. Every hour - on the hour - a real life bugler peaks his head/bugle through a window in the clock tower of the square's church and sounds in the 'present'. This can be viewed as charming - even in the middle of the night, if you are one who sees the glass half full. The hotel's dining area is lovely, the service is lovely too. The menu is tasty and the atmosphere is rich with the sounds of yesteryear - as the music is that from the era of WWII. After a visit to Auschwitz, it was my perception that the town, as well as the Hotel Wentzl, makes all efforts to counter the terror of the dragon monster of Auschwitz with the perfection of an idyllic fairy tale kingdom that has been skillfully frozen in time. I highly recommend choosing this hotel. I can find nothing wrong with it.

Room Tip: as the hotel only has 19 rooms, make sure to ask for a top floor room as they are the only 4 - 5 wit...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank taraScottsdale
There are newer reviews for Hotel Wentzl

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our trip to Krakow and this beautiful Hotel. Upon our rainy arrival we were greeted by a smiling Joanna assuring us this rain would stop. As it was early and our room was not ready she ordered coffee for us and no sooner had we finished, we were shown to our room. We had a beautiful room which overlooked the magnificent square. Absolutely no complaints, the room was amazing. What a lovely clean Hotel. This Hotel does go above and beyond. Everyone we encountered from Joanna, Gregory, Natalie, Alexandra and those whose names I did not get, were professional , courteous and friendly. Nothing was ever too much trouble. Trips booked through the Hotel went off without a hitch. It is an exciting city and the Polish people are very welcoming.
Due to all the rain in the area and flooding being a real problem the Hotel Manager Paul took it upon himself to call our Hotel in Prague to confirm that all was good in that city and that we might proceed with the last leg of our journey. A beautiful Hotel only made better by its staff. Would love to return and I highly recommend.

Room Tip: try and get a view of the square
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We call this hotel the “Lucky Wentzl”-lucky that it has such incredible views because otherwise it’s a three star hotel. We spent four days here and felt it was overrated.
The location is without question its best asset and the views over the market square are wonderful. That being said, Krakow is an amazing city and you won’t ever want to be in your room so the negatives of this hotel well outweigh the fantastic views. Overall it’s a comfortable boutique hotel with a friendly staff . The breakfast was adequate but not memorable. There are two types of rooms so be sure to book a “deluxe” room. The “normal” rooms are very small with no drawers to put clothing and no space to put more than one suitcase. There are some small quirks that need to be fixed. For example, the rooms have a coffee machine but creamer is not available so must be drunk black. There is no place in the bathroom to place a toiletry kit. There is only one employee in the dining room so if you happen to be there when several other guests arrive, it can be painfully slow process to order eggs, get coffee, etc. The waitress we had every day was wonderful-simply overwhelmed to handle everything by herself. Overall it’s a decent hotel but we won’t stay there again. Stay at the Bonerowski Palace if you want a similar view or stay at the Copernicus if you want an upper end hotel close to the castle. We visited both after being disappointed with the Wentzl and will stay at one of those next time.

Room Tip: Definitely book a "deluxe" room facing the square.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank tws1086
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Loved this hotel, its very traditionally decorated throughout however the dining room is completely over the top in the best possible way. The staff were helpful, friendly and informative. Our room had a fab view overlooking the square and was very quiet with the windows shut, but be aware that a trumpeter at the church opposite sounds the hour, every hour all through the night, so an open window at night is not an option unless you're a sound sleeper, but still worth going to.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather44
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed in room 31, with a fabulous view directly overlooking the main square; I'd been worried about noise from the street, but with two layers of windows there was rarely more than a murmur audible from below. The room was spacious and well-appointed, with a good shower, flat screen TV, and free wifi. My one complaint about the room is that the bed was super super super hard - it might have been heavenly for those who love a firm mattress, but after a couple of nights it was pretty rough on my back. The on-site restaurant is beautiful, though I found the food rather bland and overpriced. Staff throughout the hotel was incredibly friendly, with fluent English. They would do everything they could to meet your needs, to the point where one gentleman at the front desk waited on the phone with Lot Airlines for 20 minutes to help me change my flight. Sometimes, however, their eagerness to help wasn't entirely matched by actual helpfulness - for example, when I asked for a local bakery, I was sent to a chain market; and when I asked for a cheap, casual local restaurant where I could catch a quick bite, I was sent to a fancy white-tablecloth place that required reservations. Still, the combination of price, location, facilities, and genial staff probably makes this one of the best places to stay in town.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is very well located. The room was nice, on the toop floor.
We asked for a room with a view and it was very good indeed.

We spent a week end in July, and maybe it was a littlel noise, but not too much.
We got very good advices for places to eat.

The breakfast was ok, no super but the dining room was very well decorated and the waiters polite.

The hotel is a good option.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gemmaSpain
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Great location. We had a room facing the Market Square. Great when windows open, quiet when windows shut. Fabulous breakfast. All of this was very, very reasonably priced. The room was spacious by European standards, and eloquently appointed. And the staff couldn't have been more helpful. If I were to return to Krakow, I don't think I'd bother trying to find a different or better hotel.

Room Tip: Don't be shy about getting a room facing the square. Noise was absolutely not a problem.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple