“Good hotel, would use again, but not in a room facing the tram line”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #119 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Paid £35 for a single room on a Thursday night, whilst away on business. Car park was expensive at approx £16 for one night, but then I suppose you are in the center. The hotel had a funny smell to it in the common areas, which was a cross between a hospital and the chemistry lab from my school days. Apart from this, price was very reasonable and location was excellent. I can see enough people have written about location before me, so I won't go on about it too. Hotel is old and dated, but this adds to the charm. Lots of original features in this big old building. Staff were charming and helpful and room was OK albeit a bit dated, but in keeping with the rest of the hotel. If possible get a room that does not look face Gertrudy street as this was where I was and the trams run until about mid-night and start again around 6am and you can feel them as well as hear them. Go for the opposite side as there is a park and pedestrian area and you may even get a view of the castle. Breakfast was functional and within keeping with the price you pay and lets face it 'included', unlike many hotels today.
Yes, I would use again on business but not sure I would use it for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Petegaff
There are newer reviews for Royal Hotel

Reviewed March 8, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my brother-in-law in February 2010. The hotel itself is situation right across the street from the Castle and about a 10 minute walk to the main square. We paid £90 pp for 3 nights B and B and it was brilliant value for money. The hotel restaurant is also excellent serving great food and drink at low prices. I bought Polish Zloty in advance but found I would have got a better rate, with no commission, in Krakow City Centre at various locations. We also booked trips thru Escape to Poland who were also excellent.
The hotel decor was a little tired though but didn't alter my enjoyment

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Davecollins999
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This is our second stay at the Royal, and it certainly will not be our last!

There is absolutely nothing bad we can say about this hotel. It is kept exceptionally clean; the staff are very helpful and friendly; the rooms are large, cleaned everyday and towels are changed regularly.

You could not get a better location for Krakow; 10 min walk to the main square and Cloth Hall in one direction and the Jewish Quarter in the other. Tram stops are just outside the hotel if you want to go further afield.

The Cathedral across the road from the hotel (literally), next to Wawel Castle, is well worth a visit, and I would recommend the wireless headphones as a 'guide.'

Although we didn't go to Auchswitz/Birkenau this time (we have twice before) if you haven't been it's a very humbling experience, and an opportunity not to be missed; it has to be seen to be believed!

There are so many interesting places to see/visit, that one visit to Krakow will not be enough. Food and drink choices seem never ending as there is an abundance of restaurants, all very reasonably priced!!!!

Book this hotel, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Having read other reviews where solo travellers faced very basic and unsatisfactory rooms (in economy class) it was with slight trepidation that I arrived at Hotel Royal. I understand that one gets what one pays for but I was hoping my economy dollar might go further here!
I was given a room on a high floor (in line with my request when booking), but I wasn't happy with the fact that it was very small and overlooked just other rooftops and parts of the hotel. If you viewed the hotel from above it would look like a "V", with the point being the front of the V facing Wavel Castle. I believe most of the decent large sized double and family rooms are facing the Planty (the outer left part of the V) or the Castle, and many of the singles are facing inwards, somewhere along the inside of the V.

But I was going to be there for a whole week, so I decided to request a better room, even if it meant paying more. To my delight I was seen to a new room on the 2nd floor - a bit noisier due to the tram, but this made zilch difference in the winter with the ultra thick 2 x double glazed windows. The ceiling was high, decor plain but nicely in period, and it was much larger. Still a single and still for the economy price. I was overlooking Gertrudy, which didn't give me an amazing view, but I could at least see some life and the trees of a park area.
So, I ended up being very satisfied with the room. It was extremely warm, with controllable temperature (controlled by turning the radiator knob), and the cleaners were almost militantly resolute in cleaning your room (even if you were in bed with the keys placed firmly into the double locked door - don't worry, it wasn't too early: I'm a bit of a lazy one when on holiday...). I was given fresh fizzy water every day, and other bits and bobs, though, as others have pointed out, the rooms could benefit from a hairdryer, kettle (although I understand having one of these is a bit of an English peculiarity and not really common in Europe anyway) and at least a solitary english speaking TV channel. Although I did enjoy the Polish versions of the weakest link and 15-1!).
The reception staff varied from frosty to friendly enough: efficient but not the warmest bunch. And I'd say the same for the Restaurant staff. I didn't see a smile coming from anyone, and was left feeling my presence wasn't totally welcome, but then that may be down to cultural differences.

The restaurant is incredibly popular with locals having a thigh slappingly good night out, and was packed out every night, even in Feb with the temperatures reaching minus 10. Everyone gets a complimentary glass of almondy tasting cherry vodka at the end of the meal.

Breakfast ends at 10.30 - be sure to have finished everything completely by then or face the wrath of the staff. I had a rather upsetting experience on my penultimate day when I admittedly strayed for an extra 4 minutes having out late the previous night. Breakfast was good - though I advise putting two teabags in the cup for a decent brew!!!

Its saving grace was the building design. I loved the art nouveau decor of the interior, especially the spiral staircase and fantastic mirrored lift which played music from the radio. But I believe there are many hotels in the city are kitted out similarly. I also heard Castro may have stayed here during the communist era. You never know, you might end up in his room. In all I was pleased with my choice, particularly in terms of location which was great for the tram, castle, old town and Jewish district, Kazimerez.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I stayed there during my presence in Krakow. It is a 2 stars hotel, but in my opinion deserves at least 3. What makes the hotel unique is its location - in the nearest neighbourhood of Vavel Castle. A few minutes walk from the Market Square, which offers variety of restaurants, and other cultural attractions.

The hotel restaurant is average, but who would dine in the hotel instead of visiting local restaurants.

The largest advantage of the hotel (apart from the location) are large and bright romms and well trained service

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2010

We stayed a few nights in Krakow the hotel is on a perfect spot, right in front of the Wavel castle, few minutes walking from the rynek main square and also just beside Kazimierz jewish quartier.
Rooms were big and bathroom just renovated.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2010

really nice hotel,with good helpful staff.No need to take a kettle or iron,as these can be obtained from reception.Breakfast has plenty of choice and nice big dining area.The hotel is 10 minutes from the main square.The hotel has a very good restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple