“a hotel in the spirit of Krakow”
Review of Hotel Copernicus

Hotel Copernicus
Ranked #30 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed in Suite 103 which has two rooms (one large bedroom with an equally large bed, secondly a living room where the sofa got turned into two beds for the kids. This arrangement worked fine for us). The hotel is very well situated down the hill from the castle and only a stroll away from the main streets. Kids enjoyed the swimming pool and steam room in the basement. Breakfast was only average. They should also create a better room service menu as difficult to find something suitable for the children. The hotel can arrange guided tours to nearby sites, we enjoyed going to the salt mines.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your opinion. We are glad that you could visit our hotel with the children, our hotel tries to be practical and comfortable, for everyone.

We will work on improving the quality of breakfast and we will try to create something tasty for children.

We are happy that you like our historical attractions in Cracow, there are so many - maybe you plan another visit in the nearest future?

Looking for welcoming you at the Copernicus again I am sending you kind regards,

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The Hotel Copernicus is a quaint hotel located within sight of Wawel Castle and the former residence of Pope John Paul II when he was the bishop of Krakow . It is a few minutes walk from the famed Cracovian Market Square. It's location is certainly 5 star. By European standards, the size of the room (if you are in a suite) is five star and easily accommodates a king size bed and two small children on a unique and extremely comfortable pull out couch. The only downside to the room we were in is that it does not have a shower. Instead, the room has a Jacuzzi tub with a hand held shower head. This feature makes one feel as if one were in the Middle Ages! Now, my father stayed in another room and had a nice shower. For the location alone I would give this hotel 5 stars but there are additional admirable features. The pool located below ground is one of the more unique you will see in a hotel. It is about 40 feet (13 meters) long but of a narrow width. It is heated and quite comfortable. My two young children enjoyed an evening swim before bed. The gym has three treadmills and two bike machines. There are no weights. The director of the hotel aims to please. Some of the other personnel tend to be a bit standoffish--even more so than I experienced in Austria and Frankfurt. This was a surprise because it was my first time to Poland and I read that the people were among the most friendly in Europe.

Here is my only complaint. The breakfast is not much better than the free buffets that are furnished at you standard hotel. The cost per person is 70 zlotys (approximately $23 US) and absolutely not worth the price. The quality was merely average and the preparation even worse. My sons ordered pancakes and one of them received a burnt batch! My father ordered an omelete and it arrived overcooked and brown. Additionally, he asked for ham but that never appeared. I mentioned this to the managing director and should said she would notify the chef. Frankly, she should have refunded our fee because it is frankly disgraceful for a hotel that purports to be five stars. But, perhaps I should have asked. I do not mind paying a higher than typical price for a breakfast if the quality is commensurate with the price. In this case it was not and I regret eating at the hotel. For these reasons I strongly urge you to find a different locale for breakfast.

In totality, the hotel is quality with the exception of its breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Numenor
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind and detailed opinion on Trip Advisor. I am really happy that you decided to stay at the Copernicus Hotel during your visit in Krakow.

I am glad that you generally liked our hotel. We will work on the mentioned aspects to make it 5 star as well (I did not removed the breakfast charge from your hotel bill after making sure that the eggs and pancakes were returned and prepared in the way you like it). I am sorry if I did not meet your expectation in this point.

I am really hoping that you visit Krakow in the nearest future again. I am sending you and your Family my best personal regards,

Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I spent three days at the Hotel Copernicus and we enjoyed every moment that we spent in this very fine hotel in a very old and well restored building. We reserved a suite and received an enormous room with a desk and seating area away from the bed. The room also had an enormous bathroom with a large walk-in shower. Our suite was decorated with period antiques and it was very attractive. The linens and towels were excellent and our king-size bed was very comfortable. Our room was on the bottom floor, just above the street level and it was very quiet, which made for an excellent night's sleep every night we were there. Our room was spotless and very well cleaned. Housekeeping did an excellent job including the turn-down service. The staff at the desk was helpful on many different levels including restaurant suggestions and reservations and providing a car and driver for tours to Auschwitz as well as the salt mine. We arrived late due to a thunderstorm that disrupted travel through Warsaw. We were very hungry and they kept the kitchen open beyond normal hours in order to serve us a wonderful dinner. Breakfast was excellent with a large buffet to go along with eggs, omelets, or pancakes that were cooked to order.

The Hotel Copernicus is a member of the Relais & Chateaux, which is a brand of upscale establishments of inns and small hotels. We always enjoy the intimacy and charm that they exude. I am a 5C member and I was very impressed with this hotel. It is clearly one of the better hotels in the Relais & Chateaux associated properties. I would certainly recommend this very fine, very comfortable, and very professionally run hotel to anyone who is visiting Krakow. This hotel is in a very special location in Krakow, close to the Wawel Castle as well as the Historic Town Center. It is a real treat and it is a very special place to stay.

Room Tip: Suite #2 was amazing.
1  Thank ase1707

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind opinion on Trip Advisor.

I am so very happy that you enjoyed the visit in our small historical hotel. You kindly mentioned details we are proud of and we like to share it with our Guests. We would be happy to welcome you as the Relais & Châteaux 5 C club member at the Copernicus in the nearest future again.

My best personal regards,

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I just love the Relais & Chateaux properties. The Hotel Copernicus is that chain's only property in Poland. They chose wisely, since Krakow is such a beautiful and charming (small) city. The hotel itself is lovely and enjoys possibly the perfect location -- just 5 mins' walk from Wawel Castle and 10 minutes (maximum) from the beautiful market square. The rooms are nice sized, not huge. The hotel is very dark inside, but benefits from a glass ceilinged atrium. Small, quiet and with excellent service, I would recommend this hotel very highly. The ONLY "complaint" (and it isn't really a complaint) is that I ended up with a room facing the interior of the hotel so I had no view of Krakow at all. Not a tragedy but it would have been wonderful if I could have thrown open the windows and enjoyed the spectacular sites and sounds of Krakow. Nice breakfast. Very nice service. A great choice!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Relais & Châteaux Copernicus Hotel for your visit in Krakow.

I am really happy that you enjoyed the stay. I would highly advice to mark your view preferences while making your future reservation and we will assist you to meet your expectations and make your stay as pleasant as possible. The Copernicus is in XIV century house that has been adopted to be a hotel that is why almost all the rooms are different and have a different view but it makes it so special. Once again thank you for your kind appreciation.

Awaiting your next visit in our hotel I am sending you our best personal regards,

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We recently spent 4 nights at the Copernicus and with that length of time, it really began to feel like home. Our room faced the street, which gave us good natural light and a lovely view (and with good air conditioning in the room, we could close the windows and drapes and sleep quietly and peacefully at night). The room was very good sized and furnished with traditional, historic decor which made for a nice mood, even if a litlte dark. We had some comfortable sitting chairs in the room, but no lamps for them, so we couldn't really use them to read. But there was a great desk and excellent wifi, which doesn't always happen in Europe. The bathroom was also good size, in beautiful condition, with everything working perfectly, heated floor, lots of towels (replaced at turn-down service) and terrific L'Occitante toiletries.

The public spaces in the hotel are fairly limited in space, but they never felt crowded, even at breakfast in the atrium. Breakfast staff were very attentive, with lovely table settings and very nice buffet. The dishes cooked to order were amazing - the best eggs in a long time and really delicious lattes. If the hotel were full, I think the breakfast area could get a little congested, but that was not a concern in early May. The buffet (plus cooked-to-order items) offered plenty to eat and while some of the giant business hotels might have a lot more choices, I sometimes find them "too much" anyway.

The Copernicus is very tasteful, elegant and in a perfect location. We had already made arrangements for walking tours and evening concerts, but the hotel staff still offered anything else we might need. All were friendly without going too far or intervening too much.....and all seemed genuinely pleased to help guests enjoy Krakow.

Room Tip: I don't think I'd like to have a room overlooking the atrium. We did not know the layout of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for visiting the Relais & Châteaux Copernicus Hotel in Poland .

It has been an honor for us to host you and we are very happy that you enjoyed the stay.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our Guests, especially if they are the 5C Club Members. I will share your comment with our Team.

I am hoping that you plan another visit in Krakow and we welcome you at the Copernicus in the nearest future again.

Best personal regards,

Reviewed May 12, 2014

The good:
* Unbeatable location near Krakow castle and cathedral
* Friendly service at front desk
* Nicely appointed rooms in an historic charming building
* Great toiletries in the large bathrooms, also containing a spa bath.
* Breakfast was both good and bad. Overall I thought the quality was high, however there wasn't a large selection to choose from. The eggs were cooked beautifully though. They had some cereals. Baked goods were ok but not great.

The bad:
* Wifi was not consistent in the room. It was necessary to go down to the lobby to use it to get a reliable connection.
* The rooms were large, but it was difficult to keep the light out of the room during the night. Given that the rooms face onto the courtyard it would have been nice to have noise and light-dampening curtains.
* I don't know if all rooms are like this, but mine had the television in the connecting room rather than opposite the bed. This meant I had to leave the bed to watch television which was less comfortable than I would hope on a holiday.
* No shower

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank garrad
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your detailed opinion on Trip Advisor and your kind remarks. We are planning to change a little bit the beds structure and make the bath/shower combination during the next reconstruction that will definitely improve the comfort of watching TV laying in bed and taking bath/shower. We have reset the WIFI and it works fine thank you for your remark.

Looking for your next visit in Krakow I am sending you my best personal regards,

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Situated near the Wawel Castle and a short walk from city wide attractions. The hotel was excellently presented and staff brilliantly helpful. Gorgeous decor and furniture. Fresh fruit and water delivered to our room on arrival. Our room was a top floor suite enjoying superb views across the castle rooftops. Huge sofa, comfortable leather chairs, massive bed and a fabulous bathroom. Superb eggs benedict for breakfast. Loved the (small) vaulted subterranean spa - very cosy! Not cheap, but fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review. We would be very happy if you could plan another trip to Krakow and stay at the Relais & Châteaux Copernicus Hotel again.

Best personal regards,