“An excellent boutique property”
Review of Hotel Copernicus

Hotel Copernicus
Ranked #49 of 262 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We recently spent 4 nights at the Copernicus and with that length of time, it really began to feel like home. Our room faced the street, which gave us good natural light and a lovely view (and with good air conditioning in the room, we could close the windows and drapes and sleep quietly and peacefully at night). The room was very good sized and furnished with traditional, historic decor which made for a nice mood, even if a litlte dark. We had some comfortable sitting chairs in the room, but no lamps for them, so we couldn't really use them to read. But there was a great desk and excellent wifi, which doesn't always happen in Europe. The bathroom was also good size, in beautiful condition, with everything working perfectly, heated floor, lots of towels (replaced at turn-down service) and terrific L'Occitante toiletries.

The public spaces in the hotel are fairly limited in space, but they never felt crowded, even at breakfast in the atrium. Breakfast staff were very attentive, with lovely table settings and very nice buffet. The dishes cooked to order were amazing - the best eggs in a long time and really delicious lattes. If the hotel were full, I think the breakfast area could get a little congested, but that was not a concern in early May. The buffet (plus cooked-to-order items) offered plenty to eat and while some of the giant business hotels might have a lot more choices, I sometimes find them "too much" anyway.

The Copernicus is very tasteful, elegant and in a perfect location. We had already made arrangements for walking tours and evening concerts, but the hotel staff still offered anything else we might need. All were friendly without going too far or intervening too much.....and all seemed genuinely pleased to help guests enjoy Krakow.

Room Tip: I don't think I'd like to have a room overlooking the atrium. We did not know the layout of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for visiting the Relais & Châteaux Copernicus Hotel in Poland .

It has been an honor for us to host you and we are very happy that you enjoyed the stay.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our Guests, especially if they are the 5C Club Members. I will share your comment with our Team.

I am hoping that you plan another visit in Krakow and we welcome you at the Copernicus in the nearest future again.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

The good:
* Unbeatable location near Krakow castle and cathedral
* Friendly service at front desk
* Nicely appointed rooms in an historic charming building
* Great toiletries in the large bathrooms, also containing a spa bath.
* Breakfast was both good and bad. Overall I thought the quality was high, however there wasn't a large selection to choose from. The eggs were cooked beautifully though. They had some cereals. Baked goods were ok but not great.

The bad:
* Wifi was not consistent in the room. It was necessary to go down to the lobby to use it to get a reliable connection.
* The rooms were large, but it was difficult to keep the light out of the room during the night. Given that the rooms face onto the courtyard it would have been nice to have noise and light-dampening curtains.
* I don't know if all rooms are like this, but mine had the television in the connecting room rather than opposite the bed. This meant I had to leave the bed to watch television which was less comfortable than I would hope on a holiday.
* No shower

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank garrad
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your detailed opinion on Trip Advisor and your kind remarks. We are planning to change a little bit the beds structure and make the bath/shower combination during the next reconstruction that will definitely improve the comfort of watching TV laying in bed and taking bath/shower. We have reset the WIFI and it works fine thank you for your remark.

Looking for your next visit in Krakow I am sending you my best personal regards,

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Situated near the Wawel Castle and a short walk from city wide attractions. The hotel was excellently presented and staff brilliantly helpful. Gorgeous decor and furniture. Fresh fruit and water delivered to our room on arrival. Our room was a top floor suite enjoying superb views across the castle rooftops. Huge sofa, comfortable leather chairs, massive bed and a fabulous bathroom. Superb eggs benedict for breakfast. Loved the (small) vaulted subterranean spa - very cosy! Not cheap, but fantastic.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review. We would be very happy if you could plan another trip to Krakow and stay at the Relais & Châteaux Copernicus Hotel again.

Joanna WIlgierz

Reviewed April 23, 2014

My partner and myself spent several days at this hotel this year for his 50th birthday. The location of the hotel was excellent, near central facilities on a cobbled street . The staff were welcoming and very helpful during our stay as we wanted to visit Auschwitz and the Salt Mines. The Room was Amazing and so clean. The little touches in the room made all the difference. L,occitane toiletries in the bathroom, white robes and slippers, mini- bar, clock radio, huge bath, safe and free Wi-Fi. The breakfast was so tasty I am stil missing it. A large range of cereals , fresh fruits, cooked breakfast etc. I am a lover of latte coffees and the hotels latte was a rivals to any. The whole atmosphere of the hotel was warm, friendly and homely. We will definitely stay at this hotel again. The only downside to the hotel is that we had to leave.

Room Tip: Room 303 was a great room .
1  Thank deanoman
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor,

I am glad that you are considering another visit in Krakow. If you have the dates ready please do not hesitate to let us know in advance and we make sure you have your best room booked.

Looking for your next visit at the Copernicus I am sending you my best personal regards,

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is a lovely hotel in a prime location, but our stay was not great. It got off to a bad start because my wife could find no instructions on the website on how to access it. So we circled central Krakow for 20 minutes, looking for a means of accessing Ul Kanonicza, which has a No Entry sign at one end No Vehicle Access at the other. For the benefit of future visitors, the solution is to ignore the latter sign!

We fell victim to ‘free upgrade syndrome’. The hotel is very proud of room 101 with its mediaeval frescoes. But it doesn’t work well as a hotel room. When I asked to move to the airy 3rd floor room I’d actually booked, I was told that it was already let for the Saturday night, but we could have it for the Sunday night. So we had the hassle of shifting rooms in mid-stay.

Things perked up when we had a brilliant dinner in the hotel’s restaurant, with an exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable waiter with excellent English. But even here things went slightly awry. Our waiter opened a bottle of red to let it breathe, and I then watched his colleague serve our wine to the adjacent table!

Next morning, I asked for a pot of hot water to make dandelion tea. I got cold water instead, in a jug with a crack in it, through which the water oozed all over the table. At breakfast, I had burned bacon and overcooked fried eggs. I left the dish virtually untouched - and the waiter removed it without a word!

We were in our new room by lunchtime on Sunday, and it was lovely. From then on, we had only minor hassles – such as card-keys to the room that stopped working, a bathrobe without a belt, etc. But by then our enthusiasm for the hotel had somewhat waned! We got some very helpful service, eg from a member of staff who retrieved from our car the guidebook my wife had left in it, but overall the hotel made too many mistakes. We may just have been unlucky, but ...

Room Tip: 101 would work best for someone who wants historical 'feel', but is gloomy and Spartan. 301...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your opinion on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to read that your stay in our hotel was a disappointing experience . Although we strive to meet our Guest’s expectations and honor them as much as we can I do understand that upgrading to the Luxury Suite may not be convenient in certain circumstances.
I would like to apologize for the confusion with the wine. The Waiter who was serving to the adjacent table thought that the opened bottle of wine was prepared to offer it to our Guests . This particular wine is included in our wine selection offer. Of course he should ask and make sure before he use it first. Once Mr. Pawel noticed that the bottle has been used by his college he immediately offered to open the new bottle. I am really sorry for this situation.
I also spoke to Mr. Slawek who made the service for you the next morning while having breakfast and he assured me that the water in the tea pot was freshly boiled. If you feel that he did not put enough attention to your service he would like to apologize.
I hope that you have not been discouraged form visiting our hotel in the future and you give us a second chance to prove how wonderful the stay at the Copernicus may be.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Loved this hotel, on arrival you get the wow factor, the staff are very welcoming and cannot do enough for you, ( with one exception but that could have just been a clash of personality) they all speak very good English,our room was very comfortable, a huge bath with lots of complimentary toiletries, lovely fluffy large bathrobes. We did not get a chance to use the swimming pool but it looked great. The only thing that I would suggest is that the evening meal have more selection rather that just a taster menu, but as there are so many amazing restaurants in and around Krakow this was not a problem. I would defiantly recommend this hotel, very close to the main square, and transport pick up for trips and excursions.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your kind opinion on Trip Advisor.

I am really happy that you enjoyed the visit at the Copernicus Hotel. The Copernicus Team really appreciate when Guests write about their impressions after the stay in our hotel. It will be our pleasure to welcome you in Krakow in the nearest future again.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Lovely small boutique hotel with a great location in the old city. Most of the desk staff helpful. Great restaurants and main square within walking distance. Our room faced the street; it was a bit noisy at night. Cellar pool very romantic. Breakfasts overpriced.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Copernicus Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our Guests. I will share your comment about the breakfast with our Chef. I am hoping that you plan your future stays in Krakow at the Copernicus Hotel again.