“fantastic hotel in Krakow Poland”
Review of Hotel Copernicus

Hotel Copernicus
Ranked #48 of 262 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My partner and myself spent several days at this hotel this year for his 50th birthday. The location of the hotel was excellent, near central facilities on a cobbled street . The staff were welcoming and very helpful during our stay as we wanted to visit Auschwitz and the Salt Mines. The Room was Amazing and so clean. The little touches in the room made all the difference. L,occitane toiletries in the bathroom, white robes and slippers, mini- bar, clock radio, huge bath, safe and free Wi-Fi. The breakfast was so tasty I am stil missing it. A large range of cereals , fresh fruits, cooked breakfast etc. I am a lover of latte coffees and the hotels latte was a rivals to any. The whole atmosphere of the hotel was warm, friendly and homely. We will definitely stay at this hotel again. The only downside to the hotel is that we had to leave.

Room Tip: Room 303 was a great room .
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deanoman
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor,

I am glad that you are considering another visit in Krakow. If you have the dates ready please do not hesitate to let us know in advance and we make sure you have your best room booked.

Looking for your next visit at the Copernicus I am sending you my best personal regards,

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is a lovely hotel in a prime location, but our stay was not great. It got off to a bad start because my wife could find no instructions on the website on how to access it. So we circled central Krakow for 20 minutes, looking for a means of accessing Ul Kanonicza, which has a No Entry sign at one end No Vehicle Access at the other. For the benefit of future visitors, the solution is to ignore the latter sign!

We fell victim to ‘free upgrade syndrome’. The hotel is very proud of room 101 with its mediaeval frescoes. But it doesn’t work well as a hotel room. When I asked to move to the airy 3rd floor room I’d actually booked, I was told that it was already let for the Saturday night, but we could have it for the Sunday night. So we had the hassle of shifting rooms in mid-stay.

Things perked up when we had a brilliant dinner in the hotel’s restaurant, with an exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable waiter with excellent English. But even here things went slightly awry. Our waiter opened a bottle of red to let it breathe, and I then watched his colleague serve our wine to the adjacent table!

Next morning, I asked for a pot of hot water to make dandelion tea. I got cold water instead, in a jug with a crack in it, through which the water oozed all over the table. At breakfast, I had burned bacon and overcooked fried eggs. I left the dish virtually untouched - and the waiter removed it without a word!

We were in our new room by lunchtime on Sunday, and it was lovely. From then on, we had only minor hassles – such as card-keys to the room that stopped working, a bathrobe without a belt, etc. But by then our enthusiasm for the hotel had somewhat waned! We got some very helpful service, eg from a member of staff who retrieved from our car the guidebook my wife had left in it, but overall the hotel made too many mistakes. We may just have been unlucky, but ...

Room Tip: 101 would work best for someone who wants historical 'feel', but is gloomy and Spartan. 301...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your opinion on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to read that your stay in our hotel was a disappointing experience . Although we strive to meet our Guest’s expectations and honor them as much as we can I do understand that upgrading to the Luxury Suite may not be convenient in certain circumstances.
I would like to apologize for the confusion with the wine. The Waiter who was serving to the adjacent table thought that the opened bottle of wine was prepared to offer it to our Guests . This particular wine is included in our wine selection offer. Of course he should ask and make sure before he use it first. Once Mr. Pawel noticed that the bottle has been used by his college he immediately offered to open the new bottle. I am really sorry for this situation.
I also spoke to Mr. Slawek who made the service for you the next morning while having breakfast and he assured me that the water in the tea pot was freshly boiled. If you feel that he did not put enough attention to your service he would like to apologize.
I hope that you have not been discouraged form visiting our hotel in the future and you give us a second chance to prove how wonderful the stay at the Copernicus may be.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Loved this hotel, on arrival you get the wow factor, the staff are very welcoming and cannot do enough for you, ( with one exception but that could have just been a clash of personality) they all speak very good English,our room was very comfortable, a huge bath with lots of complimentary toiletries, lovely fluffy large bathrobes. We did not get a chance to use the swimming pool but it looked great. The only thing that I would suggest is that the evening meal have more selection rather that just a taster menu, but as there are so many amazing restaurants in and around Krakow this was not a problem. I would defiantly recommend this hotel, very close to the main square, and transport pick up for trips and excursions.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your kind opinion on Trip Advisor.

I am really happy that you enjoyed the visit at the Copernicus Hotel. The Copernicus Team really appreciate when Guests write about their impressions after the stay in our hotel. It will be our pleasure to welcome you in Krakow in the nearest future again.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Lovely small boutique hotel with a great location in the old city. Most of the desk staff helpful. Great restaurants and main square within walking distance. Our room faced the street; it was a bit noisy at night. Cellar pool very romantic. Breakfasts overpriced.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Copernicus Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our Guests. I will share your comment about the breakfast with our Chef. I am hoping that you plan your future stays in Krakow at the Copernicus Hotel again.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend recently. Hotel is old fashioned but well furnished. Situated in a very convenient location for all the main sites of old Krakow: market square, castle, jewish quarter, getto, Schindler museum. Took about an hour to drive to Auschwitz. Trip was arrnged with driver and privtae guide through the hotel. Rooms characterful, if a little old fashioned.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin M
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your comment on Trip Advisor, It is very important for us . I am glad that you enjoyed the stay and sincerely hope that when you plan your next visit in Krakow you put Hotel Copernicus on your list again .

All our Team is sending you best regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Like at home , you open your own door, and bring in your own luggage...not always fun! Once in, the service is fine..our room was lovely ...large, simple and totally charming. Coffee is perfect . Location is very convenient and allows you separate from the hustle of the town square...and the price was right !
Do insist that your taxi bring you to the door....ours maintained he could not drive on the street in front of the hotel...not so.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ottawajoynts
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you shering your opinion regarding your visit at the Copernicus Hotel onTrip Advisor.
I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel and thank you for your kind appretiation of our staff. I am hoping that you decide to visit our hotel in the nearest future again . We will pay attention to make you feel like at home and look after you from the very first moment:)

Best regards,

Reviewed January 26, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent three days in the hotel in mid January, combining a work trip for me and a romantic weekend for the two of us. The first thing to mention is the fabulous location - it's on Kanonicza Street, Krakow's oldest street, and 30 seconds away Wawel Castle. The street is romantic mix of both Italian and medieval architecture and the perfect base for exploring both the old town and Jewish quarter. You are less than ten minutes away from all the main sites, whilst isolated from the stream of tourists walking along the central streets.

The hotel is elegant without being over the top, and the rooms are extremely comfortable. It is not as luxurious as some other members of the 'Relais des Chateaux' group but it's full of character. The spa and pool, although small, are located in the old cellars and it's a perfect location for a romantic swim.

We had booked a luxury double, although the room was fantastic it did not have a bath which we had wanted. I went down to reception to ask if there was any change of being moved, we were instantly upgraded to a Junior Suite without any problems and the room was a delight. Everything about the hotel is relaxing and comfortable: the jacuzzi bath, the underfloor heating, the vast bed and velvet covers, the l'Occitane show gels etc all make for a dress free holiday.

The staff were attentive, interested and helpful - and of course they all speak perfect English. The hotel was not particularly busy so at times we did feel a little outnumbered by the staff however!

I'd recommend the 7 course tasting menu, and the accompanying alcohol, at the restaurant. Although expensive the food is a delight and the paired wines, vodkas and ports with each course are perfectly matched. The waiter was genuinely proud of the food and knowledgable about the ingredients. Despite what other reviews have said I found the location of the restaurant (like everything else in Krakow it's partially in a cellar) to be intimate and on a par with the low key but elegant theme of the hotel. As mentioned earlier the food is expensive by Polish standards but not compared to the UK, France or the US. We paid about 175€ for two people and I felt it was worth every penny.

I can't wait to find another excuse to visit Krakow and the hotel itself again.

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite (room 210) - fantastic room on the top floor with a J...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Caspar D
copernicus1, General Manager at Hotel Copernicus, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Copernicus Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review on Trip Advisor.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our Guests. I will share your comments with our team , especially with our Chef. I am hoping that you plan your future business/leisure stays in Krakow at the Copernicus Hotel again.