First of all you can't beat the location, only a couple of minutes walk to the square and plenty of restaurants/bars within spitting distance!
For a 5* hotel the entrance off the street is very unremarkable; blink and you'll miss it, however inside you'll be met with a grandeur from days gone by. I have to thank the head receptionist for allowing us to amend our non-changeable booking and recognising me on check-in - much appreciated. Check-in was quick and the main areas of attraction pointed out to us on a map as it was our first visit to Krakow and we received a complimentary copy of "Krakow in Your Pocket"
We were in room 41B, a fairly spacious double room with free Wi-Fi and A/C and overlooking the rear/courtyard of the hotel so although no view it was very quiet (we'd requested a quiet room in advance). The 6' bed was comfy with 2 separate duvets and there was a free in-room digital safe. Breakfast was ok with a chef cooking eggs/omelettes over a burner but one morning there was a bit of a wait for them. All staff we met were very pleasant and the rooms and public areas/toilets were spotlessly clean.
However there were a few downsides and I cannot understand how the hotel has a 5* status because of them.
1. Bathroom was tiny, no bath just a small shower cubicle with appalling shower pressure and wildly fluctuating temperatures no matter what time during our 3 night stay we used it. Room was so small there wasn't even enough room for a towel rail! There was no ventilation or extractor fan or heated mirror so we had to shower with the bathroom door open.
2. Very limited hanging space in narrow wardrobe and only 2 drawers (and they were in the bedside cabinets).
3. No kettle or coffee making facilities.
4. Flat screen TV but only English channels were CNN and a French (!) one.
5. Curtains were paper thin which meant room was bathed in sunlight from 4:30am
6. Hairdryer supplied was one of the those 200w ones fixed to the bathroom wall on a hose, neither use nor ornament!
Some of the above negatives we knew about before we booked but it's only fair to point them out and to say that Polish 5* standards may not be the same as in other countries, however they did not detract from a very pleasant stay in a beautiful city and we felt the stay was good value for the price we paid.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Krakow
- Grand Krakow