“Nice, but most of the information was only in Polish”

Ethnographic Museum
Ranked #51 of 271 things to do in Krakow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in the Kazimierz district, this 15th-century Town Hall was converted into a Renaissance building in the 16th century, which now houses the Museum of Ethnography.
Roermond, The Netherlands
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice, but most of the information was only in Polish”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I wasn't too impressed with this museum, even though it is above average at least. The ground floor has rooms on both sides of the corridor which show various aspects of Polish life, usually around 1900. The rooms are decorated to show what rooms/houses in those days looked like. No information in the rooms, but a small plauqe with one line of information near the door.

The first floor gives you more information about Polish life, from clothing to tools, religion etc. The only downside is that nearly all of the information is only in Polish. Certain rooms have a small piece of paper hanger near the door with information in English, but it's not nearly enough. The different artifacts that are shown are beautiful, and really show what life must have been like in Poland about a hundred years ago.
The second floor was an art exhibition (which varies from time to time). The art was really not my kind of thing, since it was only about religious topics and the style was also not my cup of tea.

We were there for about an hour, a bit more, but if more information was in English we would have probably been there longer. All in all, the museum was all right, but not something I would visit again soon when I return to Kraków.

Visited August 2011

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We came across this almost be accident as we tried to get our bearings on our first day. We saw this building, looked at map and saw what it was. I hadn't a clue what an Ethnographic museum was and would have skipped it if my husband hadn't asked what it was and I had to read the guide book a bit further - thank God he asked that question!!
This is not a big museum but it's great. On the ground floor are replicas of different dwellings in Poland - there are descriptions on the way into each room - something we missed for a while!! You're not allowed to take photos with flash - something else we didn't know, but the staff were very polite in pointing this out to us.
The next floor starts off with display of loads of clothes - without speaking Polish it's very hard to figure out what they all are, but they're still nice to look at. Then there are a series of rooms looking at different aspects of life from animal husbandry to bee-keeping to weaving etc. There is then an area about festivals and the Christmas ones are lovely - nativity cribs are great.
The next floor up has an art display - didn't really think too much of this - but wouldn't have any particular interest in art anyway.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank CorkCouple
Asheville, NC
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great for Learning about Polish Culture”
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We very much enjoyed the Ethnographic Museum in the Kazimierz District of Krakow. The museum has many displays of Polish folk relics, costumes, house decorations, photographs, as well as models of older buildings and living areas. The museum is spread over 3 floors, so there is a lot of material. A very interesting museum which should not be missed in Krakow.

1 Thank wweller
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful museum in Krakow”
Reviewed December 9, 2007

This is a delightful museum with a well curated collection of items detailing the lives of Polish people, mostly from the south and central areas. The collection includes costumes, jewellery and a detailed story of traditional farming life in the country. When I visited there was a special exhibition of traditional bee hives in the most amazing forms representing life size bears, dogs and even humans. Considering its somewhat low profile on the tourist brochures I found it to be professionally designed and maintained and would recommend it highly to any visitor to this wonderful city. Of special interest is the series of rooms on the ground floor, each showing the living spaces of people in the Polish countryside.

4 Thank Europhile_2007
A TripAdvisor Member
“Glad we visitied the Ethnographic Museum”
Reviewed June 7, 2006

In May 2006, my sister and I visitied Krakow because we were intrigued by what we had heard and read about the city and because we have ancestral ties to Poland.
Even though we were there about a week, there was still not enough time to get around to everything that we had planned to see and explore. I did keep coming across the name Ethnographic Museum and wondered what might be housed there. One day we decided to walk from the north part of town to the Kazimierz section and there we ran across this musuem. However, it was late in the day and soon to close. Next day, our last full day in Krakow, with our curiosity peaked, we purposefully took a tram down to the musuem and discovered a wonderful display of everything Polish. We had no time to linger but certainly would have wanted to spend more time learning about all of the exhibits...the place is rich in information and examples. It certainly did fill in the gap about Poland that my sister and I were not able to actually experience. The displays are colorful and well done and one can easily check out everything in a couple of hours . I did have to pay a hefty fee to photograph inside the museum and the lady ticket takers were not terribly pleasant, but overall I would highly recommend this museum. For the tourist, it's a must see.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member