“Great hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #89 of 256 Hotels in Krakow
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a lovely hotel witha great feeling to it. we stayed in the normal double room but we was worried that the beds would be rock hard from looking at the pictures but how wrong was I!!! nice pillows and bedding. location is perfect in the old jewish quarter so you are close enough to everything but quiet enough so you have a good nights sleep. Staff couldnt do anything more for you and they are so polite. We will defo be back to this beautiful city and wonderful hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jon n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
Amelia Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was our fourth visit to Krakow but first at this hotel, which was far and away better than other places we have stayed. It's always hard to know why some travelers are dissatisfied when others like us are not, but we've found that our reception mostly depends on our own approach. At this hotel, the front desk staff was helpful and courteous, though not warm and welcoming. Our room was quite nice and well-appointed. The dining room, where we had dinner one evening, was charming and both the food and service was exceptionally good. The combination of excellent location, charm and value is enough to make me recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience all that Krakow has to offer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mallenkaufman
Modiin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a small, well maintained hotel in a great location in the heart of the Jewish quarter of Krakow. Our room was nice, clean and well appointed. So did I rate this as average? The rude staff. Our greeting when we arrived was "Check your room immediately and report any damage immediately. You will be charged for any damage when you check out." Nice welcome. And sure enought, that attitude was in place when I checked out. They asked if I took anything from the honor bar, and I truthfully said no. I left my luggage for storage at the front desk for about 10 minutes after checkout, while I took one last walk around the area. When I returned, the clerk at the desk asked me accusingly "Are you SURE you didn't take a tonic water from the refrigerator? The housekeeper said one was missing." I was put off by his attitude, and told him in absolute terms that nothing was taken, and I would not pay for something that I did not use. I thought they might hold my luggage "hostage" until I paid for the bottle, but they gave me the luggage me immediately. Too bad about the staff, the hotel is very pleasan and nicely located and I would have had a pleasant time had I not be treated like a criminal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a basic but charming hotel in the Old Jewish Quarter. Our room was small with a sloping ceiling, but very comfortable (we had to be careful not to bang our heads). The staff was very helpful and spoke a lot better English than our Polish! The breakfast was very good. We loved the location. In addition to the history and ambiance of the neighborhood, there were many good restaurants and art galleries in walking distance. We could also hop a tram or walk to the castle and the central square in maybe 15 minutes.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frugaltravelers
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my partner on our first visit to Krakow.

Rooms were spacous & very clean, breakfast was adequate but the main features of the hotel are the staff and location.

The staff were very friendly & helpful throughout - and spoke excellent English.

The location was perfect for us, it was a 20 min walk to the main old town for the sites but personally I prefered the old jewish area around the hotel on an evening. 5 mins walk from the hotel is the old market place where you'll find a number of small bars with a variety of styles. The street between there and the hotel UL Jozefa had a number of excellent eateries. Kolanko is great for a bite to eat in the afternoon (2 soups & 2 beers came to about £6). The Argentinian grills steaks were superb but my favourite was Starka.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elton79
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I chose the Hotel Ester for its location - a choice which turned out to be a good one. A small hotel in the Jewish quarter of Krakow, the staff were friendly and the outside restaurant had a truely magnificent serve of duck (try it!). The rooms are somewhat dated but clean and reasonably appointed. The only downside was the live music in the restaurant which quickly became tedious and then there was the added "bonus" of someone continually touting to sell you the CD! Despite the music, Recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Have just returned from 4 night stay with my elderly mother. Each year I take her to visit a European city and we have always chosen hotels form TA and never been disappointed before. The location is excellent with plenty of good restaurants (Moment In Time by far our favourite) but our room was very dark and considering we paid 600 pln to upgrade to a "luxury double", it turned out to be the one on the professional photos which is the least appealing - dark brown bedspreads, dark furniture, and damp smelling shower with no bath. The staff were all polite but certainly not friendly - none of then ever asked us how we were or whether we'd had a good stay. We ate in the restaurant one evening - good atmosphere in the square outside and the music was pleasant although identical every single evening. The food was fine but the wine was undrinkable and when I asked for a bottle from the wine list I was told they were waiting for a delivery so had only a bottle of semi-sweet Polish white. (We had specifically requested a dry white.) When we found the more lively bars around the corner from the square we discovered "Moment" which had an excellent wine list, great food, buzzing atmosphere and very charming staff. What a difference! Despite the negatives, we had a wonderful time and Krakow is a beautiful city. The location of Ester was excellent and we were able to walk everywhere, even my mother at 84! Particularly recommend the Salt Mines, which were amazing, the Galicia Jewish museum, Schindler's factory, all the churches and synagogues and a day trip to Zakopane - as a taxi was 600 pln we took the bus which was easy and took between two and two and a half hours for 80 pln! Well worth it. I think the hotel just needs some more experienced staff with more people skills and the rooms (at least ours) need updating. On the plus side, breakfast was excellent and we enjoyed looking out over the square, there was no problem with noise and the beds were comfortable. Not up to the Savic (Prague) or St George's Residence (Budapest) for similar price, but we still had a an excellent time.

Room Tip: Avoid room 35!