“A modern sanctuary church with tower”

Sanctuary of Divine Mercy
$77.77*
Divine Mercy Tour in Krakow's Lagiewniki District
Ranked #22 of 310 things to do in Krakow
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We visited this sanctuary church and went up to the viewing points in the tower which provide a panoramic view of Krakow and surrounding. Nearby is the Chapel of Sr. Saint Faustina. Being catholic, we felt the peace of mind of this holy place.

Regular Holy Masses in the Lagiewniki Sanctuary of Divine Mercy
Every Sunday and on church holidays the faithful may hear Holy Mass in the sanctuary's spacious modern basilica at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m., 3:20 p.m., and 6 p.m. On weekdays and on Saturdays the service takes place at 9 a.m., 10 a.m., 3:20 p.m., and 6 p.m.

1  Thank Ivano62

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Sanctuary of Divine Mercy is a must see place when visiting Kraków, especially for Roman Catholics. It is located in the Łagiewniki district and can be reached by a number of trams from city center, #8 being one of them.

The complex is quite large and contains, in part, the small Chapel of Saint Faustyna Kowalska, with her remains resting on the altar below the painting of Divine Mercy -- as well as her relics; a big modern Basilica to accommodate large crowds and pilgrimages; a tower topped by a statue of Blessed Pope John Paul II adjacent to the Basilica, a cemetery; the convent of the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy; an hotel managed by the sisters to accommodate overnight guests, conferences, and pilgrimages; a bookstore/souvenir shop; and a restaurant. In one of the buildings, a replica of Saint Faustyna’s cell (bedroom) and her personal belongings may be seen. Until recently one could visit the room, touch some of the objects, and ring the bell that Jesus rang when He appeared to the young Sister Faustyna Kowalska. Now the room is glass-enclosed, as is the bell. For a złoty or two one can hear Saint Faustyna’s story on headphones by selecting the appropriate language. The imposing statue of Blessed John Paul II appears at the “prow of a ship” and has a dove in flight on his hand. From the top of the tower one can see a view of Kraków and the construction of a new and massive Sanctuary of Blessed John Paul II to be completed in 2015 (the completed part can be visited now). The lower part of the Basilica has a number of beautiful chapels, confession rooms.

Why the label “A Place of Miracles”? First, to be canonized one must be credited with two miracles, of which Saint Faustyna had many. Second, while we were in the small Chapel of Saint Faustyna during our first visit, I prayed to Divine Mercy to restore my wife’s health. Besides my prayer, I asked Sister Diana and the other nuns to continue praying for her during the congregation’s daily recitations of the Divine Mercy Chaplet, especially at 3:00 P.M., the time designated by Jesus to the young nun. One year prior to our first visit to Divine Mercy Sanctuary, a virus destroyed 90% of my wife’s heart, and she was left with an ejection fraction of only 10%. Every year until that prayer in the Chapel, the ejection fraction rate remained the same. Within a month after our return home, my wife went for her pre-scheduled semi-annual echocardiogram. To our surprise the ejection fraction spiked to 60%, which is a normal rate for a healthy heart. When she received the results, she called the cardiologist to check if that might have been an error. He replied that he had the same question and checked and double-checked the results: THEY WERE CORRECT. He asked her what lifestyle change had she made since he did not alter the medications. Her reply was simply, “Prayers to Divine Mercy”. He asserted that had to be the answer and reminded her that he had advised her at the hospital, when he first visited her, that prayers were #1, doctors and medicine were tied for #2. The cardiologist is not Roman Catholic; he is Russian Orthodox. From a prognosis of a maximum 5-year life expectancy, presently surpassing 9 years, and now being told that there is every reason to expect surviving to a “normal old age”, it is a miracle.

Since 2004, we visited Divine Mercy Sanctuary four times, and this month we were also fortunate to visit the completed part of the magnificent Blessed John Paul II Sanctuary.

11  Thank Fiat
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Divine Mercy Shrine in Kraków-Łagiewniki is the source, the mother-shrine for my diocesan shrine of Divine Mercy in Kiabakari, Tanzania, where I live and work (http://kiabakarisnippets.blogspot.com). The place from which Divine Mercy message spread all over the world.

This is one of the two sources of my personal spirituality, the other being Fatima in Portugal.

I do not have to say that whenever I am home in Krakow, I always make a personal pilgrimage to Łagiewniki. Although I prefer the old chapel, where Saint Faustina actually prayed and her relics are preserved and the original picture of Divine Mercy is displayed, still I like the new basilica, in particular - the adoration chapel of the Most Blessed Sacrament.

The view from the tower is magnificent, especially on a clear and sunny day.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We were staying in ul. Westeplatte, so we were able to get the number 19 tram to stop "Sanktuarium Bożego Miłosierdzia", which means the Sanctuary of Divine Mercy. There were quite a number of people that got off the tram at this stop and we were able to find the Chapel very easily. The grounds of the Sanctuary are quite extensive and we were only able to visit for about 2 hours. The chapel was very busy and we were lucky to get a seat as Exposition of the Blessed Eucharist was on. I was able to see the image of the Divine Mercy and the tomb of St Faustina. I was also able to kiss the relic of St Faustina. We were able to get mass in the Basilica and it was lovely to hear the nuns singing. The day we visited was a lovely sunny day. There was a number of shops where you can buy souvenirs and religious items, but they weren't on full view and it didn't spoil the whole area of peace and prayer. As explained already, you are not able to take photos inside the Chapel or Basilica and I can totally understand why, to keep this area peaceful. It is not a tourist attraction, it is a place of prayer. I was able to take some photos on the outside and there are plenty of statues and images where you can take photos. The Basilica can facilitate 5,000 and it is so lovely. I would recommend to all Catholics to visit.

It was a about a 10 - 15 minute walk from The Sanctuary of Divine Mercy to the Sanctuary of John Paul II. They are still in the process of building, but the Sanctuary includes the blood relics of Blessed John Paul II in the Sanctuary and in an off room with the tomb stone of Blessed John Paul II that was in St Peter's Basilica in Rome. In this room, there were also other objects of Blessed John, his rosary bead, his crozier and chasuble. In the Sanctuary, there were a number of images of the Blessed John Paul with Marian images, as Blessed John loved Our Mother Mary. The building work is due to be finished in 2015, and would love to return again to see it completed.

7  Thank Anniebannie1981
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The Sanctuary of Divine Mercy is a beautiful place to visit and to pray. Additionally you can go up to the top of a very tall tower and see all of Krakow in the distance. (There is a small donation to go up the elevator). The grounds are beautiful to walk there and you can visit the burial site of St. Faustina Kowalski who brought the world to the attention of the Divine Mercy devotions. I understand that they are building a facility next door in honor of Pope John Paul II.

5  Thank Helen L