“Shocking building site DO NOT STAY HERE”

Aparthotel Stare Miasto
Ranked #5 of 460 Specialty Lodging in Krakow
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I don't know where to start, this has been the worst experience of my life.I booked in for my wife and I for our first wedding anniversary. We have been woken up every morning from the builders downstairs, from 7am onwards everyday!!!!!! Drilling, hammering,chainsaws, bits of debris falling onto our bed it's so loud and heavy. They will tell you its from next door and that there builders are on holiday rubbish and lies.You can here what goes on in the apartments next door word for word as if they are stood next to you. Even having to indure listening to one couple having sex luckily for us he only lasted about a minute.( this was the highlight of our stay) for some reason our bathroom roof is made of clear see through acrylic, so when people are upstairs above watering plants they can see you !!!!!! what's that all about ? We asked to be moved only to be told yes tomorrow but unfortunately tomorrow never came was always the same answer. My only hope is that someone reads this review and does not stay here, how this place can even be on trip advisor astounds me. Do not stay in room 611 it is the gateway to hell. I was sure we were being secretly filmed for some TV documentary to see how long it would take until our patience snapped, well today or rather 7am this morning was the time after 7days of hammering drilling etc don't even start me on the bed making skills. People say is a good location to the square I agree with this but is closer to hell on earth. Enjoy your stay in krakow DO NOT STAY HERE. The mad thing is the builders stop at 11ish my head has been mashed I'm supposed to be on holiday relaxing and recharging my batteries instead I find myself in bed writing this review such is my rage and anger, can't wait to get home which is such a wrong thing to say when on holiday. PS do not let this put you off from krakow or Poland as both are amazing places with great history and loads of great things to do and see. Arrrgggghhhhh !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mafiki75
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed here in May for 2 nights with my mother and my friend and we honestly couldnt fault the place. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating. The hotel was lovely, all brick and marble floors and the room we had was great (think it was 708) it was on the 4th floor and had everything you need, hairdryer, iron, fridge, cooker and tea and coffee was all provided. We bought bread and cheese and water etc for the room and had breakfast there in the mornings which was handy for us but there are loads of places to eat near by. We ate in the Iluminati restaurant next door on one of the evenings and the food was lovely (although not plentiful) but the service was a bit slow as we waited almost an hour. The location is perfect as it is just around the corner from the main square. There was a lovely cupcake cafe round the corner which was great and there is a huge choice of places to eat. We ate at sioux restaurant a few times and loved it. The only negative (and its not even that) was the sloping roof in our room which wouldnt suit my husband as hes over 6ft so he would have to stoop a bit in the bathroom, and there was no shower but when I go back with him (and I will def stay here again) I will request a different room with a shower if possible. There is building work going on but it honestly didnt bother us in the slightest, we bumped into a few workmen but didnt hear a thing. This is the second time I have been to Krakow and I love it and cant wait to go back soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2012

my wife and i stayed here in april 2012 for 4 days(3 nights).the appartment location is superb(literally less than a minute off the main square).we were pleasantly met by very friendly and helpful female members of staff(who spoke excellent english),and shown to our room.the rooms were spacious and had all the necessary mod-cons(and also complimentary tea/coffee/sugar).bed was actually 2 single beds put beside each other with 2 separate quilts,but this wasn't a big problem.we found the heat inside the room was almost too much(so we left the window open almost all of the time).there was some minor refurbishment going on downstairs but we never heard any of it from our room.we went for a paid breakfast on our last morning,before we left for the airport and i can honestly say it was a beautiful and filling meal.we absolutely loved krakow and found the polish people very warm and friendly(hence we are going back in december!)...p.s.get a good book about Auschwitz and read it before you travel or while you are in krakow as it really adds to the experience(VISIT AUSCHWITZ-AMAZING).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LurganIrishphil
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed here in may and we would certainly not reccomend this place. The location is good but the customer service is terrible and the pictures of the rooms are very misleading. I stayed with my sister and another friend and we could barely stand up in the room we were put in. my sister actually banged her head on the wooden beams that come down from the ceiling and when this was reported to reception the girl just shrugged. we could not stand up straight in the shower and we had to tilt our heads while taking a shower.
we also asked for extra pillows and covers for the duvet but and after asking several times for this we were told they would be brought to our room but we never got these.
The place is a building site and we could hear them working from seven in the morning till late at night. (we were in 705). when we raised this issue with reception we were told the noise was coming from the building next door when we could clearly see the builders coming in and out with their tools!
The staff just did not care about us and were very rude towards us. it was quite near to the main square but the building work and bad service really takes away from the location. we would never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank joyce L
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have travelled to many cities around Europe and stayed in many hotels and this is by far the worst experience I have ever had. On arrival to the hotel I noticed that the room we booked was not suitable to our needs and was not as described when I booked it (room 305). I asked to change to a different room and the first thing the receptionist did was laugh at me and the second thing she did was tell me if I didn't like it I could leave. absolutely no attempt to solve my issue was made. The whole floor I was staying on was a complete building site with drilling from seven in the morning till late and a constant stream of builders walking by our door. access to the lift was sometimes closed off to us and the walls would literally crumble when using the sockets.

I have seen many places misrepresent their establishment with select pictures taken at complimentary angles but this place takes the biscuit! the rooms are tiny, the place is full of dust and building supplies and I can't find pictures of the room we stayed in anywhere on any site I've visited.The stairs are incredibly dangerous and the lights are supposed to be motion sensored but half way donw the stairs the lights suddenly go out and you are plunged into complete darkness.
the place is an absolute disgrace but what makes the experience so much worse is the people who run the place. This has to be without doubt the most unproffessional and incompetently run place I have ever stayed. The reception always seemed to have a different staff member working who never seemed to know what was going on. Our problem with the room was never dealt with and we were constantly promised someone would contact us to sort it out and nobody did. when we went to reception for updates on this we had to keep repeating our issue and then being told there was nothing they could do and they would have to speak to the 'manager' who was never there. the manager would agree to meet with us and then not bother to show up.
the final straw came when the lock on our door malfunctioned and we had to spend the night with our door unlocked only to be told the next morning it was no big deal and it must have been our fault. We demanded to meet this manager who seemed annoyed that he had had to come deal with his guests. This 'manager' seemed to have a real chip on his shoulder and failed to comprehend what customer service was or even to speak to people in any pleasant or normal way. His attitude was constantly offensive and counterproductive and the issues we had could have easily been sorted out by a more able person. This man had no intention of listening to us and made some really outrageous racist comments towards us that in this day and age are completely uncivilised. I am not an angry person and I very rarely make a complaint about something but when I pay a lot of money for a service I do expect at least the basic elements of customer service to apply and a standard of service thats at least similar to what is described.
This place is absolutely awful and it completely ruined my experience. I would strongly reccomend not staying here as there are much better hotels and apartments to stay in that offer much better value and certainly better customer care.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mikelar81
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in room 601, i can only say good things about this hotel, the rooms were clean and comfortable, we had every thing we needed. We paid for breakfast which was amazing, a very good selection, very good local produce. People complain about the building works but this did not bother us at all, the staff were friendly, the location is amazing just of the main square were you will find untold resturants and bars, before we went we were nervous about some of the reviews, but i can only say i will be going back.

Room Tip: third floor room 601