“Excellent”

and up
Day Trip to Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial from Krakow
Ranked #13 of 76 Transportation in Krakow
More attraction details
Owner description: Cracow City Tours - young, energetic tour company from Cracow, professional attitude and excellent value for low prices. Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum, Salt Mine in Wieliczka, Cracow Old Town Sightseeing, Nowa Huta, Zakopane, Dunajec, Częstochowa and many more. The meeting point located in the city centre and easy to be found. No hotel pick-up as we don’t intend to torture you going around the town and collecting people from other hotels. Groups can expect individual treatment.
London, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I booked airport transfers and a tour to Auschwitz-Birkenhau with this company before leaving home, attracted by the reviews and good prices. We then discovered we could have had a 10zl reduction on their tours if we showed we'd been recommended by the Free Walking Tour company, and we used this offer to book a Salt Mines tour. We had considered saving a bit of money and doing this trip independently but were glad we didn't as it was very busy there and we would have had a lot more hanging around without the Cracow City Tours guide.

We had excellent guides on both tours and the service was faultless throughout.

1 Thank ALISON W
TomKrak, Owner at Cracow City Tours, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Hi,

thank you for recommendation!!

Always to your services,

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Zagreb, Croatia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“For visiting Auschwitz CCT are among better but there is much room for improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Normally I do not use group tours for many discomforts but in Auschwitz you are not allowed individually so you might as well put up with the crowd the pace and the fact that you’ll not see all of it (for Auschwitz even half is enough). Using CCT tour I paid 100 PLN (they advertise that you can go for 90). If you go solo it’s 73 Zloty - bus to Auschwitz (return) is 28, headphones (mandatory) 5 and the ticket 40 – (about half price if you want the tour in Polish – but this discrimination is normal around Poland). Note that you have to wait for a group to start the tour and join them because, I repeat - you cannot visit individually and also you have to pay attention to bus schedule - not very frequent plus it is a 1 hour 40 minutes haul or longer. This is nowadays too much fuss for me so I decided to go with CCT.
Bus starts from downtown Krakow, drives shorter and you do not wait for the entrance to Auschwitz. In the bus you see what they call integral version of a movie about liberation of Auschwitz – 50 minutes (as opposed to 10 minute film shown during standard tours). This is not an advantage.
For details about the Museum look up Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum on trip advisor.
And now for the shortcomings of the tour:
1. When taking people to Auschwitz maybe it is not the best idea to make them wear labels on their clothes.
2. It is further not a very good idea for a guide to announce that the group will be divided into groups (different language) and taken by different guides.
3. While I appreciate the seriousness of the issue and the tragedy that was delivered to the world by nazism and fascism and the emotions that this museum will undoubtedly stir in a person but precisely because of it the guides should not exhibit so much negative emotion towards the group. I was under the impression that our guide Dorota tried to make us feel blame for what has happened in the concentration camp and beyond. Also the manner of leading the group was rather too military.
4. Finally if you organize a trip that in total takes 6.5 hours – it would be good to provide refreshments (the few group trips that I’ve taken always included this or at least a time in a cafeteria or similar)but at least you should advertise that participants should take care of their own refreshments and also warn them that time for lunch or snack is not planned (many of us were prepared but some were not!)

1 Thank dr1milo
Hi,

thank you for your review. You see, if there is something what doesn't need improvment it means it can't develope anymore and should be removed. Especially if we talk about tour company:)
So I find you review realy helpful to understand what I can improve, but let me also explain some things which can't be changed.

We advertise our tours FROM specific price. It's shown everywhere - FROM. You paid regular ticket, that's why it was a little bit more expensive.

Saying that we discriminate other nationalities is a little bit unfair... Tour in Polish at the Museum is cheaper because is one of the most popular and museum can provide such a guide any time you wish. To find guide speaking good English, Spanish or Italian is harder than find guide speaking Polish in Poland...

You write it's not an advantage to see full version of documentary "Liberation of Auschwitz" - I'll leave to you your personal feelings about this movie. I know not everybody want to to watch it.

You were able to see how many people is everyday at the Musuem . All the companies taking their customers to Auschwitz NEED to give them stickers or at least ID! It's for customer safety and for tour leader to know who is from the group and who's not. It's just for organisation and it has nothing to do with specificity of the place you visit.

Would you like to visit musuem in group of 100 people speking spanish, italian and english or it's better to go with group of max 30 ppl speaking language they understand? Also I think it's good to inform people who have paid for some service how the visit will look like...

Sometimes I can read not very good comments about guides in Auschwitz and this point I understan very well. Those guides are trained to guide in this place, but as you could see everything depends on person. Unfortunatelly only Museum authorities can influance on this. But I will pass you comment to the Museum for sure.

There are places in Auschwitz where you can get tea, coffee or something to eat. You can buy also water on the bus. But yes, this subject needs improvment.

Once again thank you for your review, which encourages me to make improvments!

Best wishes,
Bristol, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We visited Auschwitz-Birkenhau with this company and it was excellent. It's very difficult to decide which company to use for day trips as there are so many in Krakow with comparable prices. We chose this one as it was recommended by our walking tour guide. It was cheaper than other companies we had looked into.
Some companies collect your from your hotel, this one you met at a pick up point. This was fine with us as it meant we didn't have to go from hotel to hotel picking people up. We had a very nice group leader on the bus who made sure we knew what to expect from the day and a background to Auschwitz. During the coach journey we watched a documentary about the liberation of the camp.
Arriving at the camp it was extremely busy. I felt the group leader was very good at keeping us together and looking out for everyone. We then met our museum guide, who was very nice and knowledgable and delivered the tour very appropriately which I can't imagine is easy in a place like that. We were each given a set of headphones so that we could hear our guide over the other tourists and their guides. There was approximately 20 people in our group which was fine.
All aspects of the trip were well organised and I would recommend this company to others.

Visited October 2013
Good observers leave good comments! Thank you! Most of the companies organise this tour in the same way, that's true. But not all of them respect your time, that's why we decided to have only one meeting point in the city center. I think it's much more comfortable for visitors. Maybe if someone is keen on sightseeing of Cracows' hotels then it's good option;)
We want to give you time after the tour to do something more tahn just one visit.

Warm hugs for Bristol,
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“City tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We had a city tour which was wonderful but...I have only given 4 stars because our guide was hard to understand and she thought we were not keen but we just struggled to understand. Lovely woman who was sweet and so dedicated to Krakow.

Hello,

again I had to admit I know who are you writing about - sweet women dedicated to the city, but hard to undestand. I'm sorry that you couldn't fully enjoy your visit. At least I hope you've seen the most beautifull places in the Old Town and Kazimierz.
I'm also sure that there is still a lot of to see and you'll decide to come to Cracow again to fill this gap, maybe not necessary with our sweet and dedicated lady...

Warm hugs,
Swansea, United Kingdom
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Safe and Dependable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have used Cracow City Tours in the past and see no point in using others. We used them this time to visit Zakopane and in the past we have used them to go to Auschwitz and the Wieliczka Salt Mines.

We booked our tickets in the main office on Florianska Street and were given clear instructions on where and when to meet for our trip. The minibus turned up on time at the meeting point at Plac Matejki and we were soon on our way. The tour guide was excellent and very friendly; we were at ease in no time.

The trip was very relaxed as we made our way. We stopped for a comfort break and a coffee after travelling around and hour – hour and half which was welcomed by the group. We soon arrived at our first destination, Chocholow which is a UNESCO protected site. Soon we were at Zakopane and given free time to explore and have some lunch.

We then proceeded up the funicular to the top of the mountain to view the Tatra Mountains which run in parallel on the opposite side of the valley. The entire trip lasted around nine hours and was well worth the fee. An excellent experience.

Visited September 2013
Hi,

you can imagine how it's important for an owner to read that tour was safe and dependable! Thanky ou for this review! And thank you for choosing our company again. If you go back somewhere it means that it was good. That you came back to Cracow City Tours to do some more tours is the best review for me.

Warm hugs from Cracow!