“One of the most beautiful places in Europe!”
Review of Historic Old Town

Ranked #2 of 304 things to do in Krakow
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The 13th century merchants' town is home to Europe's largest market square and offers numerous historical houses, palaces and churches with magnificent interiors, 14th century fortifications, ancient synagogues, Jagiellonian University and the Gothic cathedral where the kings of Poland were buried.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We really loved the historic center of Krakow when we were travelling there with my husband. The buildings are awesome, streetartists are really talented, cafe's and restauranges are little bit more expensive than in rest of the Poland but still we considered it to be cheap. Be careful where you leave your car, we found a parking place were there was a lot of other cars also but ours was the only one ending up with tyrelock... Also look very carefully where you change money, one moneychanging place tried to cheat us but after a few minutes "loud speaking" we got our money back and went to another place. I will go to Krakow again, most definitely. And I really recommed it to everyone. We stayed at a camping place at the south side of Krakow and it was very easy to find.

1  Thank SaSuFinland
There are newer reviews for Historic Old Town

Reviewed January 25, 2013

One of the most beautiful places on Earth. It owes its specific atmosphere a host of pigeons and old tenement houses. In Krakow's Historic Centre Polish history could be smelt. Best place for resting or for sightseeing without loads of money. Wandering through adorable streets surrounding The Main Square could be also a great idea. Krakow has a lot of treasures which aren't depicted in travel guides because you have to discover them by yourself :)

1  Thank trututu
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Krakow is a very interesting place to visit - full of history - well presented and well kept. So much to see and take in a second visit is on my list!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Krakows historic centre is a study of medieval and renaissance architecture, the centre is surrounded itself by a charming park on the grounds of the cities old fortifications.

Free guided tours start at the main market square and give an excellent insight to the fascinating story of the old town and soem of the places there.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have to be honest: Krakow is not one of my favourite cities. My main motivation to go there was to do the tour to Auschwitz & Birkenau. Besides, I went in January and (unfortunately) it was snowing immensely all the time I was there (so there was mud everywhere, and it was freezing!)... That made my visit quite uncomfortable. I'm much more fan of bigger cities.

Having that said, Krakow's Historic Centre is nice.
There are a lot of streets to walk around with movement and shops, many cheap restaurants (and great food stands in the middle of the Market Square!). It is worth doing the Free Tour to get to know this part of town: you get around it in a couple of hours with a guide that'll fill you in on the most interesting details about Krakow's history.