“Fun for Kids Too”

and up
Krakow Half-Day Tour by Trabant
Ranked #14 of 270 Tours in Krakow
More attraction details
Owner description: Europe’s most famous alternative tours company!Join the Crazy Guides team on one of our personalized Krakow Tours and see the true sights of this amazing city. Our famous Communism Tours were created to change the typical guided tour, packed with tonnes of boring names and dates, into a real interactive adventure. With the help of your Crazy Guide, and a funky Eastern bloc Trabant automobile, you will travel back in time to discover the fascinating history of Nowa Huta, Krakow’s communist district, and experience for yourself life as it was in the “good ol’ days”. All of our young and energetic team were carefully selected by Crazy Mike, our beloved Leader and founder of Crazy Guides, so you can be sure that you’ll get the best Crazy Krakow Tours service on the planet!Crazy Guides are our way of life… Come ride with us Comrade!
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My children (a 10-year-old and a 14-year-old) and I toured Nowa Huta today on the Communist Deluxe Tour. I was concerned that my children may find the tour dull, but they loved it as much as I did. Our guide's English was very strong, and she was wonderful about providing lots of background information and answering questions. I was particularly impressed that she took the time to ask about our food preferences when we visited the Milk Bar and did a fabulous job selecting dishes that my children actually liked! She always was careful to allow enough time for us to take pictures at all the sites. Our only disappointment was that we didn't get to see the Communist era apartment, which was the part we were most anticipating, since the company had lost its rental lease the week before. However, we were charged less for the tour to make up for the loss of this particular visit. It was enormous fun for my children to squish themselves into the bumpy Trabant. As we imagined might happen, it broke down on the way back to Krakow, and we were transported the rest of the way in a taxi. I think the car's breakdown added to the adventure for my kids. The whole experience was wonderful and something completely different from typical tourist tours. We would do it again in an instant.

1  Thank DCMom222

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Trabant (trabby) car was worth the trip to Nowa Huta alone. We were not sure if we would make it back to to our hotel without getting a tow. Too funny with Majic (our guide) having to shut the gas line off at each tour site stop. Majic was a boy of seven in 1989 when all the workers strikes happened. He and his parents lived at the edge of Nowa Huta -near the church of the Arc-and recalls the violence with the police who were using tear gas. Majic was very knowledgable from having lived there so if you do that tour - we would recommend him. He talks a lot and is hilarious-which is a good thing.

1  Thank Paul Z
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just got back from the Communist Deluxe Tour with Jacob (the English pronunciation, can't remember the Polish equivalent). Buzzed around Nova Huta in a lime green Trabant, visited a 70s communist apartment, drank vodka, ate in a communist era restaurant, and had a blast! Jacob was knowledgeable, interesting and a great travelling companion. Another one of many highlights in Krakow. Do not miss this tour.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Took the Communism tour to Nowa Huta in the Trabant with Kuba and had such a great day. The car was really cool and Kuba managed to make communism really interesting! Will totally go with tour company again next time I'm in Krakow.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had booked two tours with this company prior to departure, the Polish food and Vodka dinner and the Communist Deluxe tour.
And I am so please we did.
The dinner was first on our agenda and our guide Johanna was a brilliant hostess. We did not realize until we got to the restaurant that it was a private tour. LOVED IT! We had all the time in the world to ask every question we had about Krakow, the culture and all the food we were served. And the high quality vodka (5shots!!) was surprisingly not that bad for the head on that night or the next morning. The restaurant it self was very cosy and had both a waterfall and a live orchestra. The whole experience was like having a fun dinner with a friend.

The Communist Deluxe Tour was our last one before leaving this lovely town.
Johanna (we requested to have her company again)picked us up in a bright green Trabant, taking us out for another fantastic tour around the communist areas outside Krakow town.
We visited all the important places including an apartment that was kept the same since 1970, a milk bar, the main square, the only original shop there is left, a bar that back in the day was for those who where a bit "more equal", the steel factory just to mention a few.
The highlight was to drive the Trabant. I never thought I would drive a 600kg car made out of plastic!

To conclude our two tours I would say that it is a brilliant concept that they state very well on their website and I would without doubt do a similar tour in any other city. Well done for coming up with this easygoing, "not a history lesson but still informative" tour concept

And thank you Johanna for being such a great guide!

1  Thank Eriga