“Good place to stay, but do your homework”

Old Town Apartments
Ranked #57 of 408 Specialty Lodging in Krakow
Boston,USA
“Good place to stay, but do your homework”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Old Town Apartments Krakow

Grodzka 46/ Senacka 11, Stare Miasto
Kraków, 31-044
Poland
I stayed here for 4 days in mid may of this year. It was a very good place to stay, but for those who haven't stayed at an apartment before, you have to do your homework, but first a report on the apartment.
The unit I was in was on the third floor. There is no elevator here. It was a very clean unit. Lots of room. I didn't do any cooking here, but it looked like they had a good enough supply of silver ware and other necessites. They do not have a microwave.
I had read a review where people said there was little hot water and what I found is what I guess happens with units that don't get used on a full time basis. They had turned down the thermostat on the water heater. Now the water heater is mounted on the wall in the bathroom. There is a rotary dial on the front of it that had been turned down all the way. There is a dot on the scale for that dial for what I guess is the nominal setting. I just put it on that and I had no problems with hot water.
There was a washing machine in the kitchen ( no dryer) which looked relatively new which I did not use. There were plenty of extra blankets in the closet.
They had free wifi. There was a router on the bed side table, but I couldn't get a signal. After a closer look, I found one of the plug in cables had backed out and after sticking it in all the way, I had a very good signal.
This apartment is in a good location. Not far from the main square where there are so many restaurants. There is a mini market just around the corner.
Now as far as finding this place. I made this booking at the last minute, because of that, I missed their instructions on how to get into this unit. Now when you look on line for this apartment, their web site shows a map of where the office is and not the apartment. I didn't quite realize that when I went, because like I said, I made my reservation at the last minute and hadn't done enough research. So I had gone there with a map that showed the office location, but the paper I had with the reservation had the unit's address.
This led to a lot of confusion on my part. Worst part is, my old flip phone wont work over there and it's almost impossible to find a public phone. After about an hour and a half trying to figure things out, another tourist suggested I go to another hotel and ask them for help and that is what I did and they called the place for me and the problem was basicly solved.
Still it's not all that simple.
The office address is 4 Wislna st. Now when you think you're in the right area, you see no sign for Oldtown apartments office, though there is a sign for apartments of a different name. Now you walk in the door of what you think is the right address and there are several businesses including a money exchange and a internet cafe. Their office is on the second floor. I believe they have other apartments other than the one I stayed at.
Now the apartment itself is another story. The address is Grodzka 46/ Senacka 11. Grodzka street isn't far from the office. When you get to Grodzka st, you find there is no 46. There is a small dead end street here between 44 and 48. This is Senacka street. It's only about 120 feet long. At the end of this street there is a gate that seems to be always closed leading into a courtyard. Now shortly before this gate on the right is a wide doorway. This is 11 though I didn't see a number on the building.
You go inside this doorway and if you decide to go there without visiting the office, on the right, you will see these rubber box like covers that cover a set of lock boxes (9) where you enter a combination you hopefully remembered to bring with you. You unlock the box and get your keys.
Now the double door leading into thes entryway gets locked around 8 pm I believe. So if you're getting in late, you might be in trouble because the offices will probably be closed too. I believe there is a number you can call and arrange for someone to let you in.
I was leaving my apartment one night and I met a group of German tourists who had just that problem. They had the paperwork with them that had the combination to the lock box with the keys, but they couldn't get into the entrance to get access to those lock boxes. Luckily for them, I came along at the right time and after checking their paperwork, I let them in.
So all and all, I was very happy with this apartment. I just reccomend you know everything there is to know about the location of the office and the apartment before you go.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Scruffydog777
Joanna K, Manager at Old Town Apartments, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your opinion. I am impressed with your review. It is very essential - you described everything in details. And I must say I am happy to ready it as I know now that you checked everything so thoroughly. Especially we will take a look at your critical remarks as they will help us to improve our service. I am glad to hear that in general you enjoyed your stay. I hope you will choose our company again while travelling to Krakow.
Krakow Department Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

The service was fantastic. We got stuck in a jam on the motorway and didnt arrive till very late at night. The friendly and helpful girl stayed waiting for us in the office. The office is a 15 minute walk to the apartment, but we had a car so drove. We had to park our car in a 24 hour secure parking lot which added up to a bit. But I dont think there is an alternative if you want to stay in the middle of the city close to the old town.
The location is great, just on edge of the old city near the castle, and with the jewish quarter behind. It is walking distance to all the main sights. There are many delis along the same road that sell food, and washing powder (a essential on my list to do the laundry). There is a cafe downstairs, if the door within the building isnt open can go round the side road and enter. We ate sushi from a restaurant down the road.
Great value for money.
Great facilities. We didnt realise there would be a washing machine and wifi, an added bonus. We were given a third floor flat and a lift was available. The apartment was on two levels, great for us as our son slept in the loungeroom and we slept upstairs. The apartment is nicely decorated with modern colours. Very clean. Its in a lovely old stone building.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Joanna K, Manager at Old Town Apartments, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Natalie,
Thank you so much for your review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our service. It was a pleasure to host you.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Having been given very good instructions on how to find and get into the flat (Cracovia 7), our stay couldn't really have been easier. I logged in online, was given a code for the door and a key safe, and it all worked perfectly. Consequently we never saw the owners/operators, which was fine by us. This meant we didn't have to worry about going to an office miles away or worrying about their opening hours. We just turned up and went in.

Everything was waiting for us in the flat (clean bedding, towels) and the set up was perfect for us. Along with a double and a single bed, and unlike other flats we've stayed in, this also had separate living/sofa spaces (one on each floor, actually!) and a dining table. It also had things we didn't use because we didn't stay very long, like a washing machine and oven, so if anyone needed to stay in Krakow for an extended time this flat would be perfect.

We chose two brilliant restaurants independently, based on reputation, which just happened to be less than 5 minutes walk from the flat. That tells you something about the location. We barely had to stray further than that for the whole trip.

The only (small!) negative I think is that a modicum of human contact might have improved things in the run-up to the holiday - for example I emailed telling them I had made a mistake about what time I wanted to arrive, but they didn't reply and the time remained he wrong one when I got an automatic email telling me my payment and gone through. Of course, they HAD registered this mistake and corrected it as our flat was ready at the corrected time (not before, my friends checked) - so in fairness they were efficient about this, they just didn't tell me!

Anyway, the value was very good and it was perfectly clean so I really recommend this flat to anyone looking for somewhere in Krakow which they can book hassle-free.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Joanna K, Manager at Old Town Apartments, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our apartment and the service, especially the "online check-in" option. As you say, it is really easy and time saving and most of all it is really a comfortable solution. Right now we have 31 apartments in 3 different buildings in Krakow and all of them have the option "check in directly in the apartment".
I hope to see you again in our beautiful city. And of course in one of our apartments :)

Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Loved the stay!
I have choosen one of their apartments because of it's nice gallery at their website - in reality the apartment looked even much nicer!
Small but very nice arranged apartment, very clean, good location, wifi, tv, comfy bed, spacious and beautiful bathroom!

Will stay there again. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Joanna K, Manager at Old Town Apartments, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Lukas,
I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our apartments. I hope to see you again in Krakow.
Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Had a great 2 night weekend break in Krakow at the Luna Apt. - the apt. was fully equipped and being split level meant we had some privacy. Location was amazing and even the 3 flights of stairs didn't swipe the smiles of our faces.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Joanna K, Manager at Old Town Apartments, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Anna,
On behalf of the company I would like to thank you for such a nice review. It means a lot for us as it proves that our everyday hard work pays off.
I hope you will visit our beautiful city again.
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was a very spacious apartment a few minutes walk away from both Wawel Castle and the Main Square, and was more than adequate for our 3 day trip. The kitchen was well equipped (although we didn't use any of it as eating out in Krakow is very reasonable), but it was still great to have a fridge for chilling drinks, and the supermarket right beside the apaprtment was a bonus. There were also plenty of towels provided. Booking and check in were very straightforward and the directions to find the apartment were very thorough. The only negative factor was that there was building work being carried out within the complex, and unfortunately we were not informed of this, and woke up to hammering, drilling and shouting builders at 7 am, which wasn't ideal on holiday. All in all, a fantastic apartment in a fabulous location - will be perfect when the builders leave, and will then be worthy of full marks!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanna K, Manager at Old Town Apartments, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your honest review. I am very sorry for the noise. The works are not being carried out by us but by some other company who has apartments in the adjacent building. I will talk to them about this uncomfortable situation for our guests. However, I am also glad to read that you enjoyed the apartment and our service in general. Thank you!

home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our Star apartment was literally 100 metres from the beautiful main town square. A very efficient transfer was booked with the apartment and the rooms themselves were very clean and homely. We had a late flight out of Krakow and it was no problem to leave our bags at the company offices. Would definitely use again.

Room Tip: Quite a bit of noise at night but that's the fault of Krakow for being such a lively city.