“One of the best restaurants I went to in Poland!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pod Baranem Restauracja

Pod Baranem Restauracja
Ranked #23 of 1,346 Restaurants in Krakow
Cuisines: Polish, European, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“One of the best restaurants I went to in Poland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

“Pod Baranem” was recommended to me by a Polish friend of mine who lives in Krakow. I had lunch there while on a business trip with a group of colleagues of different nationalities. We all enjoyed it a lot! The atmosphere is relaxed and elegant; the food is truly amazing. I was particularly impressed by the venison served with a delicious mushroom sauce. The traditional Polish ravioli (Pierogi) were also very nice and so it was the beetroot soup. The top mark, however, goes to the herrings. In all honesty, I do not think that I have ever eaten better herrings than in “Pod Baranem”! Warmly recommended and not only to business travelers! :) 

• Visited July 2014

• Slovak first
Karachi, Pakistan
“Disappointing & over-rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

we visited here for dinner on June 30, 2014 based on a review in the Int’l New York Times (36 Hours in Krakow). We were very very disappointed. The last review from the New York Times for the restaurant in Prague was upto it’s mark, so we thought this restaurant would be too, but that was not to be. We ordered Roasted Pork; Pork chops with garlic butter; chicken fillet with sautéed herbs; traditional polish stuffed duck; duck breast with apple cinnamon sauce. The food was okay, but nothing special. We found the servers to be very snooty and there was no warmth in their service. I am sorry to state this place is over-rated. The décor was interesting though. I would not visit here again nor would I be able to recommend this restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Melbourne, Australia
“Try the steak tartare!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We came here with my parents while on holidays and we were not disappointed. The atmosphere is very inviting and the food was fantastic. We highly recommend the steak tartar which is the best I've had overseas so far. The piergoi are also great. Highly recommended for an authentic polish meal.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Pod Baranem - Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The Pod Baranem had been recommended by a friend and it seemed a little off the beaten track on Gertrudy. But when we found it we realised how close it was to the main square which seems to be the main focal point in Krakow. Gertrudy is only just out of the old town and only stroll on a pleasant evening.
The restaurant is well worth a visit (once my friend found it he used nothing else). We booked for the following evening to ensure a table and the restaurant did seem popular.
The waiters were very knowledgeable and he recommended the local Polish starter of mushroom soup in a hollowed out loaf which was delicious.
Be aware that the meals are not inclusive of potatoes, fries etc.though the extras are usually less than a few Zloty or a couple of pound.
The same meals in the UK would be a hell of a lot more, well worth a visit.

Visited July 2014
Holland, Pennsylvania
“Good food in a nicer traditional decor setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My wife had chicken breast in a herb sauce. I had beef stroganoff with pierogies. Both dishes were very good so I can recommend this place to others..

• Visited July 2014