“traditional polish food!”

Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2014

after my visit of the royal castle I went to this restaurant. I did not know it was very well known in krakow (I discovered it later), I just was intrigued by its building.
the place is comfortable, the staff is very kind and everything was clean. I sat on a table, alone.
once the waiter came, I saw the menu. I did not understand anything!!! no clue about what I had to eat.. unfortunately the waiter did not speak a good english, so I was lost. anyway.. I decided to try everything had a cheerful name. I do not know if I was lucky or everything I could choose was nice.. it is a matter of fact that everything that I ordered was delicious!!!
I am sure (I am quite a good critic on food) that everything was fresh and well cooked.
I will always remember this restaurant because of my sense of desperation reading the menu.. anyway.. if it comes that you get to this restaurant.. don't worry! they know how to cook!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,263)

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We asked the clerk at our hotel to recommend a place for traditional Polish cuisine and he immediately recommended Pod Baranem. And he was right - a great selection on the menu and everything we ordered was delicious.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Our group had one of the worst meals encountered in any European city we've visited on the previous evening so what a delight it was to fall upon Pod Baranem!
Other reviewers' recommendations led us to book online in advance of our trip to Krakow. The process was simple and a well located table was ready and waiting on our arrival.
The menu is varied, though with a preponderance of game in the way of boar, venison, duck etc. All of us (a group of 8) found our choices to be good - the food beautifully prepared, well seasoned and served. Indeed the service was without fault. The is a pleasingly long wine list with choices to suit most pockets.
The value for money (group from UK/Ireland) was remarkable - with an excellent 3 course meal from the a la carte with copious wine coming in at a little over €30 a head!
Highly recommended.

1  Thank Mayoabu
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We loved this restaurant - yes it`s not nouveau cuisine, but what you do get is finely cooked hearty and wholesome amazing food.

I went for the Chateaubriand for main, the beetroot puree side was nice with this!

The stuffed cabbage leaves are so so so good, please try you wont be dissapointed.

Nice wine too - we always had a lovely evening each time and you must book on the day to avoid being turned away especially at weekend.

Not very cheap if you order the most expensive dishes, but thats stating the obvious and the it was worth it.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Rather posh! There were 16 of us so we were given our own room which was nice. I didn't want to part with my coat which had my valuables in it but the waiter insisted that I let him take it away to hang up rather than drape it on the back of my chair (which was against the wall so it made no difference to the waiters), so that irked me a bit. The meal itself took about 3.5 hours, with the starters taking over an hour to come out, although the restaurant was far from empty and we were a large group. Food was great, especially the desserts, which were hard to decide on as every option was perfect! Nice meal, but a bit too formal for me. The waiter taking my coat off me against my wishes made me feel like a child whose teacher had confiscated their belongings! This review was pushed from average to very good because of the food alone!