“Best cuisine in Krakow”

Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2013

After being turned away for arriving 15 minutes before close the night before, we made a second trip to Pod Baranem - and we were certainly glad we did. We started with a barley soup and some stuffed cabbage leaves that were so good we were licking the plate clean. Main course was Fillet steak Barbakan style and wild boar tenderloins (unfortunately we didn't have time for the stuffed duck, which takes 45 minutes to prepare - we'd arrived right as they opened). Nonetheless, everything was delicious. After a couple lackluster meals prior, we finally had something in Krakow worth writing about and recommending to travelers. Go see Wawel Castle, work up an appetite and take a 10 minute walk to the restaurant.

2  Thank muel87
There are newer reviews for Pod Baranem

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I ate here last December, so this reveiw is a bit late!

I had spent the afternoon wandering the grounds of Wawel Castle, it was a blisteringly cold and snowy day, and I had worked up quite an appetite.
I was cold, tired and hungry, and I knew Pod Baranem was a short walk away and would be the perfect respite.

I walked in and was welcomed warmly, even though the restaurant was empty othaer than a few tables finishing up their meals.

My waiter was really charming, and sweet, he brought me some bread and a nice refreshing beer.
I had grown to love the lard spread that is served in many of Krakows restaurants, but this version was the best I had..very tasty, yet light.
I ordered steak tartare to start.
Usually, I like this dish when it is served with the condiments on the side, so that I can add as I like, but their version was served already mixed.
WOW what a shocker - it was INCREDIBLE. The best staek tartare I have ever had.
It was fresh and delicate and seasoned perfectly!!! And what a very unique flavor it had as well, it was outstanding!
I choose duck as a main, with boiled dumplings as a side.
Both were very good, The meat was delicate and cooked perfectly, and dumplings are always enjoyable to me. Having said hey were very good, I will add that neither was mind blowing.

I enjoyed a fabulous gingerbread dessert. Excellent.

Service was charming throughout. (Did I say my waiter was charming? and handsome?)
But the ambiance was blah. I understand thats because of the odd hour I was there. I imagine it would have been really lovely packed with a crowd, however, I found the odd choice of music really off putting! Weird mix which played in a loop 2 or 3 times in the short time I was sat there!

However, all in, a very nice experience.

1  Thank nellynel
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We tried this restaurant based on previous reviews and were not disappointed. On arrival we were greeted warmly at the door and, although on the 2nd visit the restaurant was very busy catering for a large party, were found a table in what I would consider the 'main room'. On both occasions I had the mushroom soup served in bread to start, as I enjoyed it that much on the first visit (probably the best mushroom soup I have tasted - and I have it a lot!) followed by wild boar and then lamb chops. The wild boar was succulent and served to perfection and although the lamb (4 cutlets) was cooked well there was not as much meat as I would have liked. Service was prompt and always with a smile, allowing adequate time to choose from what I consider a vast menu. We didn't sample any of the desserts but they did look very nice. Cost for 2 starters, 2 main courses, carafe of wine and 2 beers was less than £45 and in my opinion worth every penny. I would recommend you go; if not for the excellent food, the pictures dotted around the place which are very interesting - see if you can find the different hidden animals!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

A good place to eat - the quality of food was excellent as was the service but the portions were a bit too small and I still had a hunger after I left. I had a good solid soup for the starter and mutton with fried potatoes which was very nice but there was not a lot of it. Very cheap for the quality of food. Good but there are better places to eat in Krakow

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This place doesn't look that much from the outside but once inside there are 3 rooms all welcoming.
The food was excellent. we started by sharing what was described as beef in a bread loaf, hence the sharing, but it came as 2 slices of beef on bread with gravy/sauce. It doesn't sound much but it was delicious ( could have had one each!!). I had mutton and my son had duck filled with duck! Again both excellent with potatoes as a side order. Finally the deserts freshly made I would say were both worth savouring.
Although the portions are not that large we were very satisfied at the end. The waiters were very polite, quick service and we had a few laughs with our one.
I will return on my next visit..